Author Topic: bishop street balsall heath  (Read 36649 times)

joeboy

bishop street balsall heath
« on: November 28, 2006, 12:13:10 AM »
i cannot find any photos of bishop street between 1940-1960. or hardly any written info.   anyone got anything interesting or even dead ordinary for me? 

john2000

Re: bishop street balsall heath
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2006, 07:29:04 AM »
Well, Joeboy, what do you want to know about Bishop St, that there was a company that made exhibition stands at the top end of the Street ( Coogh St, end ) on the right, walk down about 200 yds you Will come to Jimmy Andersons house on the right, Jimmy used to go to Hope St school, 1950-1955, walk on down again, and cross over the road,  and you come to the Tittleys house, where Walter Tittley used to live with his brothers and sisters, he too used to go to Hope St school, but sadly he was killed in a car accident, his elder brother was broken after that he was never the same guy after, a couple of doors down there was a girl called Jean/Joan, she was small, but her mouth made up for her small status,,
Getting back to Walter he had a white strip of hair which looked as if he had, had it dyed that colour, we never said anything about it, because he was bigger than me, and as I remember he was a likeable guy,most people got on with him. but like most things in Balsall Heath, the area was pulled down to make way for factories, so no one lives there any more,........ :'(
Growing old is mandatory..........Growing up is optional

sailor

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2009, 08:54:42 PM »
I remember a firm called Weathershields,it was either in Bishop St. or Bissel st, I think it was
the former?
A lad I knew set it on fire, his name was Lenny Wren.
There was a bomb peck opposite the factory, and next to our row of back to backs
in Barford st, was the City Rolling Mills.
When they started work our house vibrated.
At sometime the concil filled the cellers with concrete.to stop any subsidence.
The rent my sister paid was 6 shillings and 8 pence per week [a third of a pound old money]!!

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2009, 09:23:20 PM »
Sailor

Weathershields  were motor car accesory manufacturers in Bishop Street. I remember the name but I can't remember what they used to make. Could it have been these canvass covers that they used to put over cars?

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

sailor

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2009, 09:29:50 PM »
You struck a memory chord Phil you are right.
surprising how it can all flood back.

sailor

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2009, 09:59:51 PM »
Can I tell you a true story relating to my family history.
I was born out of wedlock 9/12/40 in Bangor City General Hosp. [North Wales].
My birth mother had to put me up for adoption [she had no choice, it left only the workhouse
if she had refused].
Anyway, a family in Congleton Cheshire [where Iwas conceived] who knew my mother, adopted me 1942.
My adopted mother died about 5 years later, and Dad could not look after me so my sister
[by adoption] who lived with her husband and two kids in Barford ST. took me in.
I used to go with June to the butchers shop in Sherlock St [Shinns]
On many occations there was this woman who when we met made a huge Fuss of me.
What I did not know until many many years June told me the lady was my birth mother????
Apparently she had moved to Brum, where she met and married a scotsman whose name
was Eddie MacCallum.
They had two kids Edwin and Carol, and they lived in Kent St.
Due to June I tracked her down [living in scotland] about 14 years ago.
She and Carol have since passed away but Iam in touch with Edwin.
So Balsall Heath and myself are held together with that amazing coincedence?
Hope I have not bored you too much with this TRUE STORY andBALSALL HEATH'

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2009, 10:23:33 PM »
Sailor

Who could be bored by such a sad but wonderful story. We have heard many sad stories on this forum. Some of them have been resolved happily like your own. Its only sad that your adopted sister June didn't tell you sooner, but perhaps she had her reasons.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

tramp

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2009, 11:58:45 PM »
sailor,

I can do little more than echo Phil in saying that you've given us ''such a sad but wonderful story. We have heard many sad stories on this forum. Some of them have been resolved happily like your own. Its only sad that your adopted sister June didn't tell you sooner, but perhaps she had her reasons''.  

You've certainly made your own life since the day you joined the Royal Navy at 16.  As you know, I joined the army at the same age, and have had, at least up to now, a freedom, fun and adventures in a wide variety of places among many peoples, that a more stolid family life wouldn't have either prepared me for or, in all conscience, allowed me to continue to pursue.

Perhaps your Balsall Heath connection isn't a coincidence, as some of us come across remarkable aspects of life that seem to say ''somethings are simply meant to be'' and your experiences look like an excellent example of that, congratulations.  

It is impossible for anyone to be bored with such an honest open heartfelt story O0

sailor

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2009, 01:21:21 AM »
PHIL /TRAMP
M

sailor

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2009, 01:34:23 AM »
Phil/Tramp
My late sister June would not have told me because although I knew I was
adopted from the time I would know just what it meant,
I had no idea that she was alive, I never ever ask about her at any time.
that is until I decided to search for her.
At that time I was well into my 50s.
June was a fountain of knowledge and her recollection of the main
events of my birth mothers history was 100%
Having met Pat, there was no real feeling between us.
But I have never regreted finding her.
Will never find my blood father though. pat took that imformation
to her grave'

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2009, 10:26:25 AM »
Sailor

This is the only photo I can find of Bishop St at the moment it was taken c1953, but give me a little time and I will see if I can come up with anything else.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy