Author Topic: bishop street balsall heath  (Read 36584 times)

carol attwood

Re: bishop street balsall heath
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2011, 04:37:33 AM »
Hi Re; Bishop street History, I too rember Walter Tittley and his familey he also had a sister called Shelia , he was a friend of my brothers Robert Vaughan who also went to Hope Street school I think the girl you were trying to think of was Gina Burgess who was a friend of Dorothy Chadwick who lived opposite and had a brother called Eric. I remember the shop called Randalls and the one lower down called Mrs Ashingtons next door to the cole yard where a very old lady called Leafy Jones used to shout out to passing children " have you got any comics" and used to scare us to death. I went to Rea School and remember the Barbers on the corner of Barford st. and the Cafe' on the opposite corner along with the book makers Reynolds.

john2000

« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2011, 07:55:06 AM »
Does anyone remember the two sisters ( both had dark long hair) they lived  a corner shop that could have been a cafe, ( but it had been closed for years, ), if I remember right, it was at the bottom of Gooch St and Sherlock St, almost across the road from that youth club where it seemed to be a memebers only youth club, not many of the locals where allowed in to it,( I think they where looking for a better class yob,).. anyway Carol your name rings a lot of bells and even more so now that you talk about people I once knew...John Leonard ( Conybere St Cox St west ),
Growing old is mandatory..........Growing up is optional

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2011, 10:11:13 AM »
Hi Carol

Welcome to the forum, sorry I know very little about that end of Balsall Heath, the only things I remember from childhood was Woolworths with its wooden floor, Doctor McGregor in William Edward St and the Fair in Sherlock St.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

john2000

« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2011, 10:36:59 AM »
Carol... What ever happened to Sofi Broardbent ( spelt wrong, but sounds like it,) she used to live  by the Tittley family..?  J2

Up date, it was Josie not Sofi....

rwmcgowan

« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2011, 10:46:47 AM »
to carol,  lived next door to you , "tried to send personal message but doesnt seem to be working , the names june and teddy will mean more to you than myself , am enclosing photo of ted best regards , rwm

alanmillard

« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2011, 11:35:15 PM »
Hi Re; Bishop street History, I too rember Walter Tittley and his familey he also had a sister called Shelia , he was a friend of my brothers Robert Vaughan who also went to Hope Street school I think the girl you were trying to think of was Gina Burgess who was a friend of Dorothy Chadwick who lived opposite and had a brother called Eric. I remember the shop called Randalls and the one lower down called Mrs Ashingtons next door to the cole yard where a very old lady called Leafy Jones used to shout out to passing children " have you got any comics" and used to scare us to death. I went to Rea School and remember the Barbers on the corner of Barford st. and the Cafe' on the opposite corner along with the book makers Reynolds.
I also new Robert vaughan as i also went to rea st and hope street school if i am right robert lived in the wood yard i think he also had a brother whos name escapes me for the moment
i think he may have also been in the boys brigade 52 brigade
alan

alanmillard

« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2011, 11:38:16 PM »
Carol... What ever happened to Sofi Broardbent ( spelt wrong, but sounds like it,) she used to live  by the Tittley family..?  J2

Up date, it was Josie not Sofi....
i too loved that girl but she never new it as i was to shy she also went to rea street school
alan

john2000

« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2011, 07:16:48 AM »
i too loved that girl but she never new it as i was to shy she also went to rea street school
alan

She was a girl I never really knew, even thow she was small, she still had a large fist, and everyone knew about it,...J2

alanmillard

« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2011, 11:33:16 AM »

She was a girl I never really knew, even thow she was small, she still had a large fist, and everyone knew about it,...J2
hi john do we know each other .
alan

john2000

« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2011, 01:46:47 PM »
hi john do we know each other .
alan

Most likely... everybody knew me, I got to know many people in my time in Balsall Heath/Digbeth, from Edward Rd, down to Sherlock St, and from the Mosley Rd across tothe Bristol Rd, that was my stamping area..
Never had any problems getting home, till they took up the tram lines, but by then I could walk from the Star pub ( I fanced the daughter there) Hope St/Gooch St, past the belgrave pub, ( never liked it much), on up to the coach and horses, Edward Rd ( been bounced out of there a few times,),..J2

alanmillard

« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2011, 10:23:06 PM »

Most likely... everybody knew me, I got to know many people in my time in Balsall Heath/Digbeth, from Edward Rd, down to Sherlock St, and from the Mosley Rd across tothe Bristol Rd, that was my stamping area..
Never had any problems getting home, till they took up the tram lines, but by then I could walk from the Star pub ( I fanced the daughter there) Hope St/Gooch St, past the belgrave pub, ( never liked it much), on up to the coach and horses, Edward Rd ( been bounced out of there a few times,),..J2
do you remember a john and alan green lived in Bissal street and then moved to sherbourn rd they were friends of mine like to know how they are getting on they will be in there 70ts.
alan

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy