Author Topic: bishop street balsall heath  (Read 36645 times)

cmac

Re: bishop street balsall heath
« Reply #110 on: May 06, 2016, 07:23:33 PM »
I've just come across this thread whilst searching for information on Weathershields Limited of 147-163 Bishop Street and noticed that no mention was made of the Company's contribution to the wartime production of aircraft.

During World War 2, Weathershields manufactured complete windscreens and cockpit hood assemblies for the Bristol Beaufighter and the Vickers Wellington bomber.

If anyone has a wartime period photograph of Bishop Street showing the Weathershields factory, I should be most grateful.

cmac

« Reply #111 on: May 06, 2016, 07:30:03 PM »
I found this site while looking for information on Weathershields in Bishop St. Both my father and uncle worked there. My uncle was Joe Parkes and he worked there during the war and wasn't allowed to join the armed forces, because he was in a reserved occupation. My father was called up because he was in the reserves. So I was very interested to find out what exactly they made during the war. Any photographs of the building available?

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #112 on: May 06, 2016, 07:48:34 PM »
Sorry I can't help you with a photo, but I'll have a look around and see what I can come up with. In the meantime take a look here it gives information on their products. I was quite surprised at their range.

http://www.gracesguide.co.uk/Weathershields
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Jack56

« Reply #113 on: May 06, 2016, 11:12:43 PM »
I lived at no 40 bishop st with my 2 sisters the titleys lived over the road the mums name was Mary and I remember Barry I think our house was next door to the shop

J McCarthy

« Reply #114 on: July 27, 2017, 11:13:37 PM »
To Michelle Edwards
I was born at No 200 opposite the Bank in 1947. We moved when I was about 5 to Kingstanding. I remember the Godfrey's shop as it was either next door or second next door to us. My Mother was very friendly with Mrs Godfrey and they seemed like part of our family as much as I remember.
A few years after we moved we were walking along College Road Kingstanding when a car stopped and it was a number of members of the Godfreys who had seen us. They came back to our house for a visit and a chat. There is a picture of the Wellington Pub on this site and on the left hand edge you can just see the edge of what looks like the shop with the Adverts on the wall.
I have never forgotten my roots and never forgotten the Godfreys.
Pop down there sometimes as I now live in Sutton for a bit of nostalgia.

J McCarthy

« Reply #115 on: August 07, 2017, 06:22:59 PM »
To Michelle Edwards
I was born at No 200 opposite the Bank in 1947. We moved when I was about 5 to Kingstanding. I remember the Godfrey's shop as it was either next door or second next door to us. My Mother was very friendly with Mrs Godfrey and they seemed like part of our family as much as I remember. You would be about a year older than my big brother Charles.
A few years after we moved we were walking along College Road Kingstanding when a car stopped and it was a number of members of the Godfreys who had seen us. They came back to our house for a visit and a chat. There is a picture of the Wellington Pub on this site and on the left hand edge you can just see the edge of what looks like the shop with the Adverts on the wall.
I have never forgotten my roots and never forgotten the Godfreys.
Pop down there sometimes as I now live in Sutton for a bit of nostalgia.

Gooch_St_Lad

« Reply #116 on: May 20, 2018, 09:42:23 PM »
Ive just come across this thread and, if anyone is still following this, I would like to add my little bit of information. My family lived in Gooch St, at No. 1/147 behind Harry's Cafe , directly opposite the  Wellington. My mother worked at Wethershields where the they made window frames for buses etc. My mother worked in the anodising section.
At the weekend,I would sit on the step outside the off-licence, with a glass of lemonade and a packet of crisps while mum and dad were inside having a beer and Mackesons.
Mike (Costello)

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy