Author Topic: A.D.Wimbush & Son  (Read 42056 times)

Secretary

Re: A.D.Wimbush & Son
« Reply #55 on: July 24, 2016, 11:21:06 AM »
Mike, you say you went to the shop in the bakery, that's a new one on me, I know they had a couple of shops close to the bakery but I don't remember one actually inside?
Anyway, we had our own private shop at the back of the bakery. Up the side alley by The Cricketers, over the back wall and help yourself! 8)

Secretary

« Reply #56 on: July 24, 2016, 11:24:03 AM »

I worked from 1966 to 1973 in the office. I was secretary to the Accountant then Secretary to the Shops Controller, Mr Eades. [size=78%] I got my mother a job in the tart plant and my dad a job in the garage. [/size]

NeilWilliams

« Reply #57 on: July 25, 2016, 08:58:03 PM »
In Acocks green they have put up an old history trail I've been speaking about the wimbush family lately and have been researching little bits too go to Acocks green outside the Wilkinson shop the trail stand is green take a look it's amazing

JudithM

« Reply #58 on: July 29, 2016, 01:29:44 PM »
It's a shame that this is another name that's disappeared from the High Street.  I remember the shops in Solihull and Acocks Green the most.

I didn't realise that The Barn in Hockley Heath was connected - many a drink downed in there I must say  ::)
"I know tomorrow's gonna taste like cake"

crisp

« Reply #59 on: August 31, 2016, 05:33:30 PM »
I worked from 1966 to 1973 in the office. I was secretary to the Accountant then Secretary to the Shops Controller, Mr Eades. [size=78%] I got my mother a job in the tart plant and my dad a job in the garage. [/size]

I was with RHM Property Department from 1971 to 1977 approx.I knew Don Eades quite well and met him many times.I got involved with new shops acquisitions-Stourbridge was one I think.I may well have spoken to his secretary as I had a lot of dealings with Don.I was based in Middlewich,Cheshire as an outpost of RHM Head Office.I must have visited most of the Wimbush shops during my time there as I did most of the lease renewals and rent reviews on the shops they didn't actually own..I also met the Company secretary Mr Les Hakeney many times.And also Don  Davidson who I think was Midlands regional shops manager before going to the northern region.Some of the staff came to my leaving do at a pub in  Middlewich.

Anybody know if they are still around I wonder?

MarieF

« Reply #60 on: June 21, 2018, 11:15:14 PM »
My dad was the Maintenance Engineer at the factory - Fred Flecknoe. Hew worked 13 days out of 14 - every second Saturday off. One late night a week when he would bring a box of 4 cakes home - the cream horns I loved and have never seen anywhere else. I also liked apple turnovers and chocolate eclairs

Sandrajeanette

« Reply #61 on: November 02, 2018, 11:16:54 PM »
My mother worked at Ad Wimbush from about 1960 to 1980, I worked there for a year or so in the early 60s

Secretary

« Reply #62 on: November 10, 2018, 08:15:56 PM »
Hi Old Pal ( I feel silly calling you WimbushYardley) ;)
I've posted exactly the same request on this and other forums over the last 3 years hoping to get material for an article on Wimbush for my website but I've hit the same brick wall everywhere. We'll just have to keep trying

Jerry

This is the only pic I've got of the Wimbush front, not great but better than nothing O0

GroovyG

« Reply #63 on: April 18, 2020, 01:17:32 AM »
 New Street in Birmingham. 1977!

Secretary

« Reply #64 on: April 18, 2020, 10:32:42 AM »
New Street in Birmingham. 1977!

Great photos. Seeing the logos I have still got my reference on the green letterhead. I was originally in the accounts office from May 1966 then promoted to secretary to the accountant. Got fed up and left, only to return as secretary to Mr. Eades, Shops Controller. His secretary had left to go to Birds.

Whitesoft

« Reply #65 on: October 18, 2021, 02:22:38 PM »
No description available.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy