Author Topic: sparkhill sparkbrook highgat  (Read 219322 times)

roy one

• Global Moderator
Re: sparkhill sparkbrook highgat
« Reply #704 on: March 11, 2013, 05:18:42 PM »
hi john welcome to the forum
i lived in sparkbrook for a time and farm road park was my playground and up to sparkhill baths next to the cop shop  I'm sure our Phil will dig out a few photos and take you down memory lain i was down that way a few weeks back  like you say you will not find a pork butchers shop for love nore money
enjoy the forum and try and tell us a bit more about your life in the brook
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

AM

« Reply #705 on: March 11, 2013, 07:51:41 PM »
Phil & Gee Gee, thought I'd post a couple of pictures of Claremont Rd as it stands today. I tried to take it from the same perspective as the original (
ie: Sampson Rd I think ).

Phil

• Global Moderator
« Reply #706 on: March 12, 2013, 12:59:47 PM »
Hi John

Welcome to the forum, I remember all the places you name, although I think you would find a few changes to the surrounding area now. Although I have to say that Sparkhill hasn't been changed that much by the developers. Not as much as Sparkbrook & Balsall Heath anyway. The closest I can get you to Castleford Rd with a photograph would be Stratford Rd near the top of the road.
Make Love Not War

planetmalc

« Reply #707 on: March 12, 2013, 05:49:44 PM »
Behind Foster's in Baker Street we had Eaton Smith's barbers shop. A short back and sides was 1/- and a 'Style' was 1/6d. When I was about 13 or 14 I went for a 'Style' and dicovered that it was just the normal short back and sides with the addition of a large dollop of Brylcreem...!

Around 50 years ago, there was an outbreak of (I think) smallpox in Brum, originating in the Pakistani community.    I distinctly recall the Stoney Lane branch of Eaton Smith (between Highgate Road and Stratford Road) having a notice outside their premises saying, 'No Pakistanis'. :o

There's no B/S on Planet Malc.

John Hutchins

« Reply #708 on: March 13, 2013, 08:11:10 PM »
Hello everyone and thanks for your welcome messages.
Thanks for the pictures Phil - They certainly bring back memories.
.and yes Planetmalc I remember that smallpox outbreak and there was a barbers at the top of Walford Road with a similar message.
I'll do a few more reminiscences during the next few days and stir up a bit more nostalgia I hope...! 

jackaroo

« Reply #709 on: March 17, 2013, 10:10:23 PM »
Good evening all,
I have been looking at a book on Victorian Birmingham, and came across a photo of Sir Benjamin Stones house; the Grange. It looked an awfull lot like the Clinic in Farm road. Looking on Google, it now appears to be demolished. I can remenber going to summer garden parties there in the mid 50's.
Does any-one remember the field gun in the park playground, and the big shelter, open fronted and with benches inside?
I lived at 212 Stratford rd, just opposite my old school, It has long since gone,and replaced with flats set a way back. It was always the intension to widen the road. I have a lovely photo, pre-war I think of my Dad standing by the family car. Over the road was the old Globe steam laundry. If any interest, I will try to include it later. Next door but one was a bomb site that we played on. There were large advertising boards that we would climb up from the back, and call to passers by. Any one go to Stratford rd Primary school? I left in 1958 and managed to get into Mosely Modern. I remember being up a tree in the garden and noticed a lot of smoke. It was St Agathas church. What a ferocious fire it was, but the appeal money raised was enough to re-build the rear that was bombed during the war.

Shirley S

« Reply #710 on: March 17, 2013, 11:00:22 PM »
Hi folks

I mentioned the smallpox earlier today on a different thread, not realising this discussion had started.  It was something like 50 years ago and I remember running up St Paul's Road past what we called the "Smallpox Houses", holding my breath, then going into school to find that yet another pupil had caught it.  I don't know where it originated and I don't remember the signs though.

I lived in Sparkbrook from about 1962 to 1968 and remember the Cinema where we used to pay next to nothing to watch 'The Young Jacobites' and  other things on a Saturday morning.  I remember the libraries and swimming baths  on Stratford Road and Moseley Road and Farm park and Sparkhill Park with the Police Station nearby.  I also remember Westwoods and Woolworths, the sweet shop on Alfred Street and the numerous pubs.  There was also the roller rink and the wrestling. 
I just remembered seeing a big fire in a toy shop on Stratford Road, next to a tyre or a car place, it could have been saved but all the adults kept saying they wouldn't phone the fire brigade as someone was bound to have done it by now, only thing is they hadn't. 
I also remember a year when the snow seemed to go on for about three months, it froze into thick ice then snowed some more.  And what about the fog??  We were sent home early so the teachers could get home.  What memories.
Shirley

kavanagh00

« Reply #711 on: April 04, 2013, 08:59:23 AM »
I lived on Highgate Road next to Mole Street, there used to be a scrap yard on the corner which is now a motor spares place now, we lived next door to it from 1952 til about 66. We then moved to Alfred Street (opposite the Royal Oak pub), then Poplar Road, and I have lived in Hall Green since. We all went to Stratford Road Junior and Infant School and then my brother and I went to Golden Hillock Senior School. I go through my old area's quite frequently and am horrified at what its like now, its like driving through a war zone.

bookworm

« Reply #712 on: April 04, 2013, 07:31:50 PM »
Hello Jackaroo. I remember your old home on Stratford Road. My best friend also lived there by you. Sadly, I can't remember the number but it was also opposite the school which she also attended. I too went to Stratford Road, loved the place. I left in 59 to go to Conway Road. I had to pass the loading bay of the Globe Laundry every day on my way to school. The houses you lived in were so big. There were lots of scary stories about them! Would you by any chance remember the Cartwright family (not mine) There were three children in it? Nice to have you on the Forum. (It's the best by the way!)

frederick

« Reply #713 on: April 05, 2013, 09:24:01 AM »
bookworm,
All my cousins went to Conway rd school, but they would have been leaving when you started there.
Failure to Prepare is to Prepare to Fail

bernipage

« Reply #714 on: April 05, 2013, 12:49:51 PM »
 I used to live at 39 Braithwaite Road in the 50's. We had the top floor flat of a house that was divided into 3 flats.
The owner, Mrs Evans lived on the ground floor. In the summer holidays, as my single mum worked, I would doss about in Farm park, and also I would hop on the Bus and spend hours in Sparkhill library.
My mum worked in Sampson road, in a printing factiory called Jenner and Gill. 7.30 am till 6.30 pm,
 she rushed home in her lunch break, which was 45 minutes. By the time she got home, and had a cuppa, it was time to get back.  When I think back, she worked really hard to bring me up. In those days it was quite shameful to be an unmarried mother, and she told people that she was a widow!
I went to Stratford road/ladypool school for a couple of years, then Conway road Sec Mod girls.
I  remember the Embassy roller rink, and wrestling went on there too I think.
At lunchtime, us girls would lark about with the boys from Golden Hillock school, which was nearby.
I think the older girls had ballroom dancing lessons with the boys school too.
 On a Saturday, i would go to the 'pictures' at the Piccadilly picture House, as my mum called it.
 I live in Austria now, but visit Brum often. It is very very different every time i visit!