Author Topic: sparkhill sparkbrook highgat  (Read 349196 times)

jackie o

Re: sparkhill sparkbrook highgat
« Reply #781 on: January 05, 2014, 07:58:56 PM »
 I lived at 54 Gladstone Road. I was born there and left in the late 70s My mom's name was Mary Ogom
Jackie

Ray Harrison

« Reply #782 on: January 05, 2014, 09:43:33 PM »
Yapyap

I knew the gaffer of the B & B in the 70's and occasionally popped in there for a drink, but it wasn't my kind of pub. I went to the last night at the Bull in the 70's as well. it was a case of drink the pub dry after time. It was all free and it was full of coppers from Bradford St nick on duty and off duty.
I used to drink often in the brewer & baker in the 70s the bar never closed for some of us. also drank a few times in the Bull the coppers seemed to run the the place they had all the afters and played cards in the back room ,they did not like to lose !.did not like to drink with the hired help. NOT MY BEST FRIENDS when I lived in Highgate.
BUD

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #783 on: January 05, 2014, 09:54:56 PM »
Ray

You are right about the Bull on the last night it was 90% police in the back room and as it was an all free drink the pub dry night they were coming and going all night long a good number of them were on duty. Myself and my two mates were taken up there by the landlady of our local. Though full of police or not it was a good night.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

aries44

« Reply #784 on: February 25, 2014, 05:45:41 PM »
Just dicovered your site, right up my alley. I recognised the photo of the Oil Road Rollers straight away as I have spent many an hour in the worshop sitting by the forge watching the men at work on the rollers. My Gran and Grandad ran the Windemere stores directly opposite their depot and it was my job when I was on school holiday to run over the road to the workshop with the sandwiches that the men in the workshop had ordered on their way into work in the morning.
After being born in Warstock and living for five years in Portsmouth our family returned to Dennis Rd where I lived for the next 18 years. I attended Dennis Road School, Head master Mr Watterson, Secretary Mrs Node who had a son Christopher. I was taught by Miss Perry who later became Mrs Gibbs and Mr Busby who drove a rather snazzy Rover.
I also attended the school annex in Ladypool Rd where i was taught by Mr Turner. Yes I was another that used to look in the window of the toy shop run by the Burton Family who's daughter Rosemary was in my class.
My brothers and I played in the " Little " Park with our trolley till the "Parkey" caught up with us and chased us out so then we would go and muck about on the monkey steps. I used to go to the 59th pack Wolf Cubs and also Sparkbrook Carnegie run By Bill Fowler.
I would love to exchange yarns of the 1950's to '70s. Anyone out there help ?
Hi JT
I too went to Dennis Rd school and left in 1955 when we moved house to Hall Green. I remember the Deputy Head Mr Smith and Miss White who I really liked. Also Mr Cunningham who was the PT teacher and also taught Boxing to a few which I took part in.
I played for the football team in the Junior school and we were runners up inthe league 1954/55.
I remember the Monkey steps and would love to know the origin of the name. I asked Carl Chinn once but he had never heard of the Monkey steps.

frederick

« Reply #785 on: April 09, 2014, 06:09:20 PM »
Banjo,
I made a mistake it is this thread.    O0
Failure to Prepare is to Prepare to Fail

Wendy1950

« Reply #786 on: May 15, 2014, 07:27:10 PM »
Where in Mole Street did the Kinsellas live. Does anyone remember the chip shop in Beechfield Road, best chips in the world. I remember sitting the 11 plus in the Annexe as well, I failed miserably. I also was in Miss Smiths class, Does anyone remember these names from the schoolLarry Barnes, Phillip Breeze, Jimmy Wallace, Raymond O'farrel, Christine Stocker Jean Whitehead, Linda Littleales, Jennifer Millward, Pauline Hands, Susan Webb

Hi I remember all these names as they were in my class, you forgot me (Wendy Fox)  :D I met up with Jennifer Millard on friends reunited and we meet often for lunch, I have a photo somewhere of the class, I will try and post it, I lived at 106 Highgate Road right by the bomb building opposite Mortons garage, just down from the corner shop which was owned by the Collins, Jenny and I were always at the chippy they were the best ever, I have really enjoyed reading through the forum and seeing the pictures, does anyone remember the coop youth club on Stratford road spent many a happy night there as well as the roller rink, my friends mom used to knit the jumpers for the club. keep the memories coming.

Wendy1950

« Reply #787 on: May 15, 2014, 07:38:50 PM »
Hopefully this will work, I am sure you will remember even more on seeing this...which one are you lol
I am front row far right.

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #788 on: May 15, 2014, 07:39:30 PM »
hi Wendy1950

wecome to the forum I used to hang around in your part of the world  behind the bus garage  with a few mates that would be about 1960s  I was trying to think of the name of the school behind the roller rink some of the grils I remember was rose a ginger head girl and her friend moreen they went to that school ken who had a bit of a limp on his right leg some time we would go and sit out side the pub by stony lane on the seats by the loo
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #789 on: May 15, 2014, 07:40:02 PM »
Hi Wendy

Welcome to the forum, I recognise some of the names you have mentioned, I remember a Ray Kinsella though I have no idea why, perhaps he was a friend of a friend. Also I think you mean Moydens Garage (Turnpike Service Station).
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Wendy1950

« Reply #790 on: May 15, 2014, 07:54:07 PM »
We were the other side of Ladypool road to the bus station but I remember running past there I was always terrified a bus would come out as I did lol the school was Conway road, I didnt go on to there I went where my cousins were in Cherrywood road bordesly green, a long ride on the number 8, does anyone remember Dr Dennis on St Pauls road I think he was Polish, but totally different to doctors today lol

maltablue

« Reply #791 on: May 16, 2014, 06:59:50 AM »
Yes Wendy, Dr. Dennis was also my doctor. A proper family doctor. Was even at my birth.
Born and Bred in Sparkbrook.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy