Author Topic: sparkhill sparkbrook highgat  (Read 349178 times)

rwmcgowan

Re: sparkhill sparkbrook highgat
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2009, 09:03:13 PM »
to tramp,
              re highgate , ihave a friend who still lives in balsall heath  ,his family moved out of longmore street in the early 60s to highgate road, midway between mosely road and stoney lane , opposite what usedto be a large garage , now there is alarge expanse of grass  at least acouple of acres ,and just 3 houses he lives in one of them on his own, as his parents have both died,  the point of this story being , he has lived in balsall heath all his life , ibelieve the only time he left the area was when i usedto take leave ,having  a motor bike i used to  take him to shelsley  walsh , for the hill climbing,it has to be a record for residency,  how can you live like that and never  venture abroad it seems a waste to me but it never worries him he has his pub and bookie, handy  hes happy rwm

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2009, 09:18:36 PM »
rcm

Is his name Les?

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2009, 09:20:35 PM »
rwm
         in the 50s and 60s most folk never went any where they might go to the lickys or Sutton park most seemed to be happy staying at home but come the 60s and 70 and all the movement in brum and folk having a few bob in there pocket and the tv adds for going to Spain things took off but like a lot of folk just did not wont ta know iv known folk in the past that had never been out of brum and when you have asked don!t know to old i think was the reply
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

tramp

« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2009, 10:49:46 PM »
rwm,

I've a half-brother who would be exactly like your friend - he said that he only moved the first time because he got thrown out, he went back and it happened again and so he soon married and his wife decided where they'd live (he said - he didn't say where) - when he got divorced he stayed in the area, got married again, that failed too.  In between he traced me through the AA as I had returned to UK and bought a car.  Apart from a couple of years at the GPO, he worked for the AA till 2000, then redundant - still lives closeby there (I think). 

From  here, I e-mailed the Mail to try to contact an old school teacher and gave my PO Box No.  He saw what they printed and contacted me so I invited him here for Christmas 2000.  The first time we talked he said ''I could never understand when you walked out why you didn't settle down nearby''........end of conversation came quite quickly.   You presumably live where you want to live, as do John in Holland, Phil in Solihull, Fred near Tenby, me out here etc.....he's never decided for himself....it takes all sorts.

rwmcgowan

« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2009, 08:34:27 AM »
phil 47,
            yes his name is "les " probably the best friend i ever  had, iknew his family from the early 50s and before, istill phne him up, re that picture on the luxor iam certain it was les and myself on the steps ,he took a bolt out of my crutches an d they collapsed, his family were like a second family to me, whenever icame home on leave i would go straight to the lyttleton pub to meet up with them , they used to gather as a family  in the smokeroom,  nowadays when iwant to meet him i go to a pub in st pauls road. rwm

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2009, 01:34:10 PM »
Hi rmw

I knew Les really well, teddy boy Les or Chewing gum Les was what we called him. He worked for my Uncle Ben from time to time and he used our local the Talbot.

You are so right when you say that he liked a pint and a bet. I'm surprised that he is still living in that house in Highgate Rd. When I knew him his mother was still alive.

The next time you ring him remind him of when he worked for Ben & John I suppose he knows they are both dead now. Remind him of Phil and Dave as well he'll remember us. Find out where he drinks now I might pop down and see him. I would think it would be the Hereford.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

tramp

« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2009, 03:06:46 PM »
rwm,

Although your mate Les and my half-bro share a propensity for not moving of their own volition - that's clearly the only thing they have in common as Les is a sociable man who stands his round and knows what suits him and why, whereas h/bro's got short arms, long pockets etc. 

tramp

rwmcgowan

« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2009, 04:12:19 PM »
phil 47,
             rang him this morning , i always keep in touch,he uses the clifton arms, as tramp says about being social he always was,  when iwas in the army, if iwas in this country and on leave iwould go to his house and borrow some civvies , always the best from "chetwynns " rwm

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2009, 04:26:54 PM »
rwm

Glad to hear that Les is doing well, I suppose the walk to the Clifton is no longer than the walk to the Hereford.  I suppose the walk to the Clifton would be a bit busier than the walk up kyrwicks Lane so therefore a bit safer.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

rwmcgowan

« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2009, 07:03:44 PM »
phil47,
           heres a snap of where he lives,  rwm

tramp

« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2009, 07:12:34 PM »
rwm,

My Goodness, I'd never have taken that totally transformed street to be Highgate Rd in a month of Sundays....it's absolutely amazing - I'm shocked but very pleased at the improvement, provided that buildings and homes were only demolished because of their condition and NOT because of some planner's hubris.

tramp

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy