Author Topic: sparkhill sparkbrook highgat  (Read 349208 times)

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: sparkhill sparkbrook highgat
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2009, 07:23:29 PM »
rwm

I know thats Les's house on the left the one with the white gable end. They could hardly demolish those as they were only built just after the war. When you speak next ask him what happened to Bill the Whitewash who lived a few doors up from him in what was at one time a shop,

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

rwmcgowan

« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2009, 08:09:03 PM »
hello tramp , forgot to put location on , you are looking from stoney lane towards belgrave road,

rwmcgowan

« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2009, 08:14:11 PM »
tramp,
         back again did an injustice to liverpool  with photos , have a look at this one taken at albert docks  have always liked my visits there,  rwm

rwmcgowan

« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2009, 08:41:15 PM »
phil 47,
             iwill ask him next time iam in touch as you can see in the photo he has a lot of mowing to do rwm

tramp

« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2009, 09:10:32 PM »
rwm,

That's what I thought as those flats must be across Moseley Road.

The Albert Docks are a nice spot - when the sun's out!

rwmcgowan

« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2009, 08:57:53 PM »
tramp , re highgate road   you say it looked clean and empty ,the whole of balsal heath has undergone a transformation, from mosely road to bristol street looks a whole lot greener there is an estate on pershore road that was built in the 70s it looked a bit mundane but now they have tarted it up ,put safety fences round it and it looks quite pleasant it even has a very big health centre attached  it seems as if the authoritys are building seperate villages , if you travel up the pershore road toward cotteridge even warwickshire cricket club are building there own, further up you will come to stirchly village i think phil 47 would have noticed this, my family and other familys from bh would be amazed ,but they had to be shunted out to allow this to happen, enough of bh for now. ihave a query does anyone out there know what happened to the following familys  the COOKS from skinner lane and the HIBBERTS from wrentham street , maybe john2000 might know them he seems to have agood knowledge of the digbeth and highgate area , another photo for you  hope you can understand this post "beginning to feel like "alister cook and his letter to america program believe that was his name.  rwm

tramp

« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2009, 02:03:37 AM »
rwm,

Thanks for the information.   So basically the BH & sparkbrook of 50 years ago have either been tarted up almost, and in a few cases beyond recognition, or have been replaced - I'll bet your friend Les could tell a tale or ten about the changes he's seen!

Where is this photo, I've no idea at all!

When I go back to brum next year, there won't be much of these 2 areas that I'll recognise - and the City Centre has twice changed completely apart from a few public buildings and St Martins.

I'm sorry to say that I can't help you as I never knew these 2 families.

I get Dominicans asking me for the Alistair Cooke type responses as their families don't seem to note the time of or extent of change, its impact, and what else is needed and or planned - not usually the same things by any means!

tramp

rwmcgowan

« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2009, 08:29:11 AM »
tramp, photo taken outside a pub come restaraunt at rednal,about the changes ,the road layouts have hardly changed  at all, if you knew  willow road and court road , and you paid a visit there , you would think you were back in the 1940s,  my friend les still thinks he is back in the 50s its the way he likes it, and the area he lives in is still basically  the same ,as isay his house is surrounded by acres of green but for how long is anybodys guess, on the corner of moseley road and  highgate             road there used tobe some kind of station yard or big coal yard , you would know about that , well looking on "google " streets recently ,it is still there, but the planners are talking about bringing trains back to moseley and kings heath  so perhaps that is why they have kept those routes open instead of building on them, all for now rwm

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #30 on: August 27, 2009, 04:46:35 PM »
King Edward VII standing lonely and neglected in Highgate where he was placed in 1951 when they first remodelled Victoria Square. This sort of thing was fine back when we had park keepers and park rangers, but as soon as the Council in its wisdom removed the patrol staff from our parks this is what happened.

I hear that £114,000 is being spent on renovation and resiting the statue back in Victoria Square (or whatever they call it now). Where do they get these figures from and how can it cost that much? It was paid for in the first place by public subscription and only cost £5,000 back then.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

mikejee

« Reply #31 on: August 27, 2009, 06:16:44 PM »
Phil
Surely that is quite reasonable  by todays standards(!!??). After all there will be the cost of putting the job out to tender, the expenses of the relevent department in checking and approving the tender, the analysis of the metal of the statue to ensure it contains no lead or asbestos or any other harmful material, the cost of the health and safety executive (has to be an executive as the job has a high public profile) in making sure that all regulations are enforced, the provision of fresh overalls for the workman when they are photographed putting the statue up, and, probably most important, the public relations event to entertain the press ( and all the councillors) very well after the re-installation ceremony
mike

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #32 on: August 27, 2009, 06:35:20 PM »
Mike

Yes of course you are quite right silly me. No wonder I struggled in business to keep my head above water. I thought you costed a job added a profit margin and that was it.

Mind you if I were looking at health & safety regulations throughout the process of reinstating this fine old statue. I would probably have to think along the same lines. Also as you say the reception party for the dignitaries at the unveiling ceremony has got to cost around £10.000 or perhaps that is the odd £14.000 on the end.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy