Author Topic: sparkhill sparkbrook highgat  (Read 349243 times)

Archer

Re: sparkhill sparkbrook highgat
« Reply #44 on: October 02, 2009, 12:27:50 AM »
Just discovered this site...it's great.  I was born in 1931 at Marshall Street South, don't know if it's still there.  Sometime after 1933 my family moved to 110 Larches Street, perhaps that was before your time Roy?
I spent a lot of time at Walford Rd. Roller rink before 'the war' and post-war became a member of the B'ham Eagles racing club there.  In 1946 I worked as a trainee radio mechanic at Richards' radio store in Ladypool Rd.
I've been back to UK only twice in 51 years so have no idea what things are like in Brum now but  I'd be very happy to be updated.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #45 on: October 02, 2009, 09:24:33 AM »
Hi Archer

Welcome to the forum, and I agree with your statement "it's great". I spent most of my younger life living in Larches St on and off but I have to say that in 1931 you had a bit of a head start on me I didn't make it until 1947.

I'm afraid you wouldn't recognise Larches St now, Marshall St has gone. Its the same with the rest of the area. Hardly any of the old buildings remain. You might recognise the back yard of the Warwick public House and the maisonettes that they built just after the war.

The bottom end of Larches St remains, up to about where Marshall St was but it is in name only as all the houses are new.

Where are you now, we have people from all over the world on site.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

frederick

« Reply #46 on: October 02, 2009, 03:48:14 PM »
Archer,
welcome i used to be in the roller skating club but the name had cgange to the Midland roller skating club would you have known Les Woodley and Leon Goodchild a photo taken in 1960. i lived in Leamington rd and we bought a radio and a record played from Richards on the corner of Ladypool rd and Colville rd oppersite Westwoods.

Failure to Prepare is to Prepare to Fail

frederick

« Reply #47 on: October 02, 2009, 03:50:29 PM »
Archer,
i am sure Phil has a photo of that strech of Ladypool rd.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #48 on: October 02, 2009, 04:27:47 PM »
Archer

A few photos of the old end, I'm not quite sure which part of Ladypool Rd you want, but these are what I have.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #49 on: October 02, 2009, 04:29:38 PM »
Archer

One more of Ladypool Rd and I'm sure you will recognise the second one.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

vauxonion

« Reply #50 on: October 02, 2009, 06:17:22 PM »
Hi Phil great photo of the roller rink used to walk there and back from Vauxhall every week to skate couldn,t waste money  on the bus in them days.Dek

frederick

« Reply #51 on: October 03, 2009, 10:10:53 AM »
phil,
you have one in colour looking towards St Pauls rd that you took recently.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #52 on: October 03, 2009, 01:26:04 PM »
Hi Fred

Not too sure what you mean, are these the ones. They were not taken by me, but grabbed off the net somewhere. I don't take many photos of modern buildings as there is nothing to interest me. When we go on holiday my wife rarely allows me to take a camera, because I go of searching for old buildings.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

frederick

« Reply #53 on: October 03, 2009, 03:13:25 PM »
Phil,
those are the photos i wonder if Archer will recognize whot used to be the shop were he worked Richards radio & TV second photo the restaurant no the left on the corner before Westwoods, thanks sorting those photos out i thought it was you that took them.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #54 on: October 03, 2009, 04:31:32 PM »
Fred

I doubt it, I have enough problems recognising it on the odd occasion I get down that way. I have learnt not to try and drive down there anymore because its a nightmare to try to get from one end to the other without hitting a hold up because someone has parked on the wrong side of the road.

As you can see from the top photo little regard is paid to traffic regulations. Cars will often park on opposite sides of the road leaving just enough room for a car to pass. But if a lorry wants to get by it has no chance. With nowhere to back up you end up stuck there until the police turn up or the offender finishes their shopping.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy