Author Topic: sparkhill sparkbrook highgat  (Read 350087 times)

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: sparkhill sparkbrook highgat
« Reply #77 on: October 26, 2009, 11:54:47 AM »
Fred

It was The Bear another pub much frequented by our neighbors across the sea The Irish. There again Sparkhill used to be an Irish neighborhood didn't it?

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

frederick

« Reply #78 on: October 26, 2009, 03:17:39 PM »
Phil,
it was known as an Irish pub when i went in there one or two times, i bet it,s not an Irish pub now  :o
Failure to Prepare is to Prepare to Fail

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #79 on: November 04, 2009, 09:55:59 PM »
Fred

I suppose its like all pubs these days struggling to make headway. I do know its changed hands a few times in the last few years. It's not a pub I ever used. Who would have imagined a few years back that the day would come when you saw "To Let" signs outside pubs.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

frederick

« Reply #80 on: November 05, 2009, 09:03:34 AM »
Phil,
thanks for sorting that photo out  O0

maypolemadman

« Reply #81 on: November 05, 2009, 09:16:56 AM »
 Hi Phil  The Bear was the closest pub for me when I was newly married and living in Percy Rd  .From memory about 150 yds down that street to the side of the pub and left into Percy Rd   Great pics  of all the pubs  . Had as many beers in the Bear as my allowance would provide  Maypolemadman

maypolemadman

« Reply #82 on: November 05, 2009, 09:30:06 AM »
 Archer a nd Federick  . I used to skate at the Embassy and Bunny Bennet was agood friend . We used to go to outlying pubs and Bunny would play his accordion and we would get some free beers. . Every time I read thes e forums I find how interwoven the become. .  I went to the Embassy before it re-opened after the war and delivered some good there when on the Railways  The floor ruined by imprints o f Artillery Shell cases. and I was surprised how it was refurbished .
Also Archer my wife  worked at M.E.M before we married in 1951. She knew Bunny well  also . He lived in converted Nissan Hut and  we often went there .  I actually met her at the Embassy. Norman Dawes was another pal who was in the raceing team and I recall Bunny at a party at Normans House dring Home made punch out of a small teapot . Pretty strong stuff too .
Nearly went to Canada also but settled for Aussie   as it was a bit warmer  Cheers all Maypolemadman

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #83 on: November 05, 2009, 11:16:07 AM »
Phil,
thanks for sorting that photo out  O0

Fred

No trouble mate, anytime. Here's a couple more for your scrapbook, that school that now takes the place of your old road, and one of Ladypool Rd where the old Co op used to be. You can still see the old Olympia Picture House is still standing.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

frederick

« Reply #84 on: November 05, 2009, 01:44:59 PM »
Phil,
with the school we must have run out of English/ British names  ???

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #85 on: November 05, 2009, 05:13:59 PM »
Fred

It amazes me how the head of the military arm of the ANC then a organisation that were branded as terrorists. Who were responsible for the bombing and murder of innocent men women and children can be feted as hero in this country and we name buildings after him.

I have nothing against the man himself, and perhaps he has earned the right to be called a hero in his own country. But I for one will never agree with the murder of innocents to achieve a political aim.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

frederick

« Reply #86 on: November 05, 2009, 05:19:16 PM »
Phil,
i to think he was a terrorist but over here they seem think the sun shines out of him, when will there be some place named after Bin Lardin  :(

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #87 on: November 05, 2009, 08:39:54 PM »
Fred

I've got one in the garage, its called a dust bin.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy