Author Topic: sparkhill sparkbrook highgat  (Read 349182 times)

mikejee

Re: sparkhill sparkbrook highgat
« Reply #495 on: January 11, 2012, 05:46:30 PM »
Phil
They are probably afraid that someone will trip over their broom and sue them

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: Sparkhill Sparkbrook Highgate
« Reply #496 on: January 11, 2012, 06:01:44 PM »
Mike

Yes thats one excuse they could use, another is the pavements are so dilapidated that it's not worth the bother.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

daverock

« Reply #497 on: January 24, 2012, 09:26:08 PM »
Hi
I am a new user of this site but was born in Ombersley road, several people have posted previously about some aspects of Sparkbrook which I would like to expand on, for example Burdens Ice Cream, my Mom worked there for a number of years & I can remember sitting under the counter while my Mom served the ice cream. She then had the cafe at the bottom of Tillingham St. called Mays Cafe, one of the people on the site said his Mom worked there but I don't remember her but if he contacts me I will ask Mom as she is still alive at 94.
One thing puzzling me is that no one seems to give their surnames & I am sure I must know some of them for instance one guy said he was in the same class as Graham Webb at Clifton road well so was I.
Can anyone who remembers Dave Rock please let me know, I am keen to talk to anyone about the 50s-60s era.
The site certainly has a massive following for Sparkbrook, Sparkhill & Highgate.
Who can remember playing Snooker at Teds just down from Burdens.
The Dumb man at Westwoods was Bill & he lived in Sheldon, we used to visit him & his wife.
I also worked at Jack Mills greengrocers every Xmas Eve up until about 1975.
I also worked at the Home & Colonial & delivered papers for Snapes in Ombersley Road.
I used the local cinemas with my late mate Mick Beasley who was killed in the Pub Bombings.
Anyone out there who knows me please get in touch.
Cheers
Dave Rock

frederick

« Reply #498 on: January 24, 2012, 10:18:48 PM »
Daverock,
Welcome to the forum i am sure you will fined people on here with info on Ladypool rd and the people that lived around there, i for one and you probably know i am Graham Webb's cousin but i wasn't in your class at Clifton rd school   O0 there are some photos on here taken on Ladypool rd.
Failure to Prepare is to Prepare to Fail

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: sparkhill sparkbrook highgate
« Reply #499 on: January 24, 2012, 10:21:42 PM »
Hi Dave

We have spoken before, I told you I used to use your moms café and that I remember your mother and the other lady that used to work there. I also used to use Ted's Snooker hall in Alfred St, though I never advanced any higher that tables 5 & 6. I did however put a fortune in that Indian Chief one arm bandit.

I think people who generally want to exchange private information such as names and addresses use the private messaging system as it is never a good idea to give out such things over the net.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

alanmillard

« Reply #500 on: January 24, 2012, 10:42:33 PM »
My ancestors came from the Highgate area.  My gt-gt-grandfather Harry Hughes married Amy Greathead.  They lived in Conybere Street and had the children Harry, Violet and Amy Hughes.  Harry senior was blinded in the first world war and used to sell matches and little toys on the street corner.  He died in the early '50's.
The other part of my family, the Fry's, lived in Hick Street - Dorothy (Dolly), John (Jack), Leonard and Sydney.  Their mom - Polly - died on Belgrave Road when she was knocked down and killed by a bread van in the late 1940's.  Violet Hughes married Jack Fry and lived in Highgate Street for a while.
My grandad used to tell me stories about how he'd climb the tree that was in someone's back garden in Hick Street and it is now the big tree that stands on the island at the top of Belgrave Middleway and Highgate Middleway.
hi peops my auntie florence lived in hick st she had two sons peter and david. alan

planetmalc

« Reply #501 on: January 31, 2012, 03:11:34 PM »
Hi
..... several people have posted previously about some aspects of Sparkbrook which I would like to expand on, for example Burdens Ice Cream,

Who can remember playing Snooker at Teds just down from Burdens.
Cheers
Dave Rock

Burden's was the best!      Used to love buying their strawberry & vanilla wafers from the ice-cream carts in the town centre in the 60's and 70's.      One or two shops sold blocks of it, too.     I hope the recipe's not lost.

Thanks for reminding me of the name of the Alfred Street snooker hall, I'd totally forgotten it.     Used to nip in there for an hour after school, with one of my classmates!  O0

Talking about Alfred: can anyone remember the name of the small block of flats that stood at the junction of Alfred Road and Beach Road, please?

There's no B/S on Planet Malc.

daverock

« Reply #502 on: January 31, 2012, 03:44:51 PM »
Hi
You must be a Sparkbrook boy then, where did you live & did you go to Clifton Rd. School as I did.
Let me know please.
My Mom worked for Burdens & I used to either sit under the counter with the cornets & wafers or play upstairs when I came home from school.
Cheers
Dave Rock

frederick

« Reply #503 on: January 31, 2012, 04:02:39 PM »
planetmalc,
A younger than me lad worked at the same place as me and he lived in those newly built flats on the corner of Alfred rd and Beech rd and i have been in them to the flat where he lived with his perants, but i can't remember the name of them. they have been demolished and replaced with another building now.
Failure to Prepare is to Prepare to Fail

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #504 on: January 31, 2012, 04:08:22 PM »
malc

I can't remember the name of the block of flats either, wasn't it something simple like Beach Tower or something like that. I can show you a photo of them however that was taken in 1961. I didn't think they were that old

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

daverock

« Reply #505 on: January 31, 2012, 05:16:43 PM »
It could have been one of the Sullivan brothers who lived there Chris was the older but I can't remember the other ones name
Cheers
Dave Rock

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy