Author Topic: sparkhill sparkbrook highgat  (Read 349249 times)

daverock

Re: sparkhill sparkbrook highgat
« Reply #506 on: January 31, 2012, 05:37:07 PM »
Anybody out there born in Ombersley Road or Tillingham St or Ladypool Road.
Look forward to hearing from anyone.
Cheers
Dave

planetmalc

« Reply #507 on: January 31, 2012, 05:48:44 PM »
malc

I can't remember the name of the block of flats either, wasn't it something simple like Beach Tower or something like that. I can show you a photo of them however that was taken in 1961. I didn't think they were that old

Phil

Thanks for that, lads.      I think there may have been some kind of design fault in those flats (the small ones with the brightly-coloured balcony panels) 'cos they dropped the ones on Chester Road (opposite the Collector Road) around the same time.
There's no B/S on Planet Malc.

daverock

« Reply #508 on: February 03, 2012, 10:38:19 PM »
Hi
I am sure a lot of the Sparkbrook  'kids' will remember the Little Park at the top end of Ladypool Rd. with it's 'Parkie' a man to be feared, the cast iron drinking cup, the Sons of rest & the fact that the only blade of grass disappeared in the 1940s.
it used to appear huge but was in fact quite small & was a dustbowl in the Summer, the Summers were always hot & sunny then weren't they!!!
Wagon wheels were very big then also they seem the size of a half crown now!!
happy days, there was a shop about 2/3rds of the way from our house to the park that used to sell home made pop which was red & probably died our mouths red but tasted lovely & the sweets were lovely as well like Sugazoo, I used to love these & always had them to take to the Olympia every Thursday.
Cheers
Dave

frederick

« Reply #509 on: February 04, 2012, 01:03:12 PM »
Daverock,
You forgot to mention the little park had a slope in the top left hand corner and in the snowy weather we would us it for a sleigh ride   O0
Failure to Prepare is to Prepare to Fail

daverock

« Reply #510 on: February 04, 2012, 04:56:00 PM »
Hi
Yes I remember now Fred but we couldn't afford a sledge could we probably used our bottoms as Plastic bags weren't around then.

frederick

« Reply #511 on: February 04, 2012, 05:09:38 PM »
Daverock,
I somehow think i made one out of wood, but as you say we would us anything to have a bit of fun on that piste   ;D    O0
Failure to Prepare is to Prepare to Fail

maltablue

« Reply #512 on: February 16, 2012, 04:04:30 PM »
Bookworm, did the Carol Hunt you refer to, go to Conway Rd., School ?.
Born and Bred in Sparkbrook.

maltablue

« Reply #513 on: February 16, 2012, 04:17:14 PM »
Bookworm, the shop you referred to on the left hand side was called Cresswells on the opp. corner was an off licence,also cresswells (German i think). There was a family lived opp. the off licence, they were called Hunt. There was a lad and a girl, in the family, they will be in their early to mid sixties, now.

bookworm

« Reply #514 on: February 16, 2012, 10:06:35 PM »
Hello Maltablue,
Yes, Carol did go to Conway Road and yes, Cresswells is very familiar.
I feel you knew of Carol then? Any idea what happened to her? Many thanks.

maltablue

« Reply #515 on: February 17, 2012, 06:24:28 AM »
Bookworm, glad to ring a few bells.
 Carol used to use Parnell's, the little shop next to the bomb building, which was opposite where i lived No. 87.
  Sorry but i can be of no assistance in your quest locating, Carol. As i left Larches St., in the early 60's and moved to Kings Heath.
    Good Luck.

FredG

« Reply #516 on: February 18, 2012, 11:17:52 PM »
Hi Phil,
          Wonder if you remember me, I lived next door to you in Larches St. I was at no 88. from 1950 to 1958. I remember us getting into trouble quite often at that age. Been reading some of your posts and remember all those places you mentioned. Regards Fred G.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy