Author Topic: sparkhill sparkbrook highgat  (Read 349176 times)

maltablue

Re: sparkhill sparkbrook highgat
« Reply #517 on: February 19, 2012, 06:52:06 AM »
Hi Freddie, yes rember you very well. If i remember rightly, you had sisters, your mother was called Reenie and your Dad, Frank.
 Re. trouble, i was easily led  ;D .
  Where are you now and what have you been up to the last 50 yrs or so ?.   
 For the past 7 years i have been living in Malta. Married twice, 5 kids, 8+ grand kids, Needless to say Marriage and kids prior to moving to Malta.

Great to hear from you  take care Phil..
Born and Bred in Sparkbrook.

FredG

« Reply #518 on: February 19, 2012, 06:24:48 PM »
Hi Phil,
          Very difficult to precis 50 years, so much has happened over that period but when our family broke up we were farmed out to friends and relatives I was 8 years old then. My sisters were Joan, Joy,and Barbara. Dad's name was Len not Frank but that aside it seems both you and me are blessed with a near photographic memory(must have been something in the water). Do you remember the Holloways who lived a few doors lower than us and the Winspurs who lived a few doors higher?What about that Carribbean Gentleman who lived next door to me who murdered his wife a few years later?
           Our Mom died in 1979 and Dad in 1987, he never married again but Mom did 10 years before she died. At the end of 1958 me, Joan and Joy were unceremoniously whisked away to Erdington Cottage Homes for the next 5 years. For some reason Barbara stayed in Larches St with the Winspurs at No. 90. Our experiences at the homes are in a book due out this month.
             Plenty more memories to come so watch this space.
                                                 regards
                                                             Freddie

maltablue

« Reply #519 on: February 20, 2012, 01:58:40 PM »
Hi Fred,
           i knew your dad's name once you told me. Yes i recall you all being whisked away, do you not remember, i came through a few times to see you, if i recall the grounds where laid out in grassed squares.
             I remember Sandra Holloway, not her sister though. Remember the Winspurs, they lived next door to the Denhams/ Durhams, 2 brother's Roy and ?? also a sister, she lived in Florence Avenue K/Heath whilst i was there.
                 A few years back got in touch with an Alan White from Sparkbrook, but it was'nt the one we knew. Remember Frankie Tooth and his sister ?, lived just round the corner from us on Ladypool Rd.,
                  Are you living in Brum or are you having a villa built on the royalties from your book  ::) are your sisters still alive ?. I can remember Joy and Barbera but cannot remember Joan.

will send you my email via personal message box. It will read something like el........ @o.....net

Take care phil.

maltablue

« Reply #520 on: February 20, 2012, 02:04:27 PM »
Hi Fred tried to send you PM, but i see your are not able to receive them.

Regards Phil.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #521 on: February 20, 2012, 02:40:47 PM »
Maltablue

FredG has to make at least 25 posts before he can send or receive PM's.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

FredG

« Reply #522 on: February 20, 2012, 02:45:25 PM »
Phil, Hope you now have my e-mail addr.
                                   Regards
                                                      Fred

maltablue

« Reply #523 on: February 21, 2012, 03:01:46 AM »
Thanks for the info Phil. O0

Phil.

FredG

« Reply #524 on: February 21, 2012, 10:33:01 AM »
HiPhil,
          Me again. I've been racking my brains to try to remember you visiting us in the homes, I wish I could have remembered that because it was like you had disappeared over a cliff, and what's more puzzling is, if I knew you were there I'm sure I would have arranged for us to engage in mischief of some sort! You seem to remember the place well as you described it- grassy squares.We did a bunk from there (me and Joan) and went back to the Holloway's (If you remember I stayed there until we were 'removed'). Within hours they knew where to find me and came and took us straight back, oh well c'est la vie!
          Yes, Sandra Holloway was a 'character'. Her sister Pauline was courting at that time and had moved out by then( I know I had her bedroom!). Old Fred Holloway had  an old Ford Pop and worked at the Serck in Greet. My Dad still worked at the Rover Tyseley at that time.
           Yes as you mentioned it, I now remember Roy Durham and where he lived. Alan White rings a bell but Frankie Tooth did'nt. A lot of the kids I remember most went to our school (Stratford Road) but I think you went to the Hebrew school. In 1964 I also went to a Hebrew school in Liverpool when our Mom finally hoicked us out of the homes and I lived in Liverpool until 1969 when I came back to Brum.
            Been married twice, two kids and three grandchildren, currently living in Great Barr.
had been living abroad for a few years in Eastern Europe ( 2nd wife is Russian) and have plans to retire there in a few years.
             No. The book is'nt mine I just made a contribution to it and the house I live in is far from the villa of my dreams!
                                      More later
                                                     Regards....Freddie

BERG73

« Reply #525 on: February 25, 2012, 12:53:16 AM »
Hello All,
My dad William (Billy) lived on Tillingham St in the 60's possibly before. I think the house number was 56. Family name was Bergin and his father (Ned/Edward) died mid 60's (cancer) followed not long after by his brother, Michael (car accident). My dad died last year (cancer) and was just looking up Tillingham street using google to see where it actually was as I never knew and found this website. Just thought I'd post a message to see if anyone knew any of the Bergin's back then? 

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #526 on: February 25, 2012, 10:32:33 AM »
Hi Berg

I lived just around the corner in Larches St, I'm afraid I didn't know anybody from Tillingham Street except the two ladies in the corner café and the chap who owned Just Jags where they reinstated classic Jaguar cars.

The whole street is now gone along with many other well known streets, but here is a photo of how it looked in the 1930's. It is taken from near Ladypool Rd looking up toward Turner St.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

alanmillard

« Reply #527 on: February 25, 2012, 10:47:44 AM »
Hi Berg

I lived just around the corner in Larches St, I'm afraid I didn't know anybody from Tillingham Street except the two ladies in the corner café and the chap who owned Just Jags where they reinstated classic Jaguar cars.

The whole street is now gone along with many other well known streets, but here is a photo of how it looked in the 1930's. It is taken from near Ladypool Rd looking up toward Turner St.

Phil
 Hi lads while your in that erea do you remember the pub Cotage of content i loved that pub it was only round the corner from Larches st where i lived back of the postoffice. alan

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy