Author Topic: sparkhill sparkbrook highgat  (Read 349236 times)

planetmalc

Re: sparkhill sparkbrook highgat
« Reply #737 on: April 07, 2013, 03:02:32 PM »
Maybe one day all the old Sparkbrook kids will have a reunion?

You could try to arrange some kind of reunion at your old school.    Schools are usually receptive to this idea, especially if there's some kind of significant anniversary coming up (centenary, say).    You'd be amazed at just how interested modern kids are in their school's history, and they like to meet old pupils.    Both of my old schools have done this and the Evening Mail have run articles to alert ex-pupils to the event; you'd be amazed at just how big the grapevine is and how people from all over the country find out about it.   

There's no B/S on Planet Malc.

jonken555

« Reply #738 on: April 07, 2013, 07:08:40 PM »
Hello everyone, I lived on Grantham road as a kid and used to walk along the wall of Conway school going to Conway stores for my gran. Farm park was a great place to be  for a young lad.
I used to go to the Piccadilly picture house every Saturday morning, sometimes went to the Waldorf but it wasn't  as good. Whenever I'm in the area I check out my old haunts, but it saddens me to see how rundown  Sparkbrook has become.

bookworm

« Reply #739 on: April 08, 2013, 08:44:39 PM »
Some interesting points you have made Planetmalc. It's certainly something to think about.

Jonken555..you are spot on about how Sparkbrook has changed. It is all so very sad. It would have been so nice if the powers that be had thought to preserve the past instead of destroying it.

bookworm

« Reply #740 on: April 08, 2013, 08:54:44 PM »
Hi Kavanagh00. Well I never knew Jean's brother was on the buses! You learn something new every day.
I was so sorry to hear about our old school friends passing away because I always think they are still out there somewhere and it is sad to hear that they have gone.
It's nice that you were with Raymond at the end. What close friends you were and what great memories you must have of years together. x

planetmalc

« Reply #741 on: April 13, 2013, 05:10:58 PM »
Here's a good old Sparkbrook bike shop, on the Stratford Road.     Someone has posted a comment underneath the photo, with a link to more Brum images.

http://www.flikr.com/photos/8728562@N06/5114968596/in/pool-lost_bicycle_shops/

harris22

« Reply #742 on: April 13, 2013, 05:24:34 PM »
HI
Any idea what year the original was taken?????
KEN

Spud

« Reply #743 on: April 20, 2013, 02:29:25 PM »
Reading Daverock's post about some of the tricks we did when we were kids reminds me of an old friend of mine who did a trick with a bicycle. He would lift up the saddle and drop a lighted Firework down into the frame after a few seconds the firework would go off with such a bang . Passers by would think it was a car backfiring . Simple innocent fun of a bygone age.
The Only Free Cheese is in The Trap

Spud

« Reply #744 on: April 20, 2013, 02:47:44 PM »
Looking at the Photo of J Cooke's cycle shop in Sparkbrook I do have a vague recollection of this shop in the late 40s and early 50s but the actual business goes back another 50 years or so. It would appear that the original owner Joe Cooke sold the business in the Early 50s [for £2000] I assume as an on going Cycle Business. Some later probably in the Mid to late 50s J Gould the Gents Outfitters took over the premises. Looking at the premises today it appears to be a sort of Sports Outfitters I am not sure if it is still open it looks a be derelict .
The Only Free Cheese is in The Trap

planetmalc

« Reply #745 on: April 20, 2013, 05:15:51 PM »
Looking at the Photo of J Cooke's cycle shop in Sparkbrook I do have a vague recollection of this shop in the late 40s and early 50s.    Looking at the premises today it appears to be a sort of Sports Outfitters I am not sure if it is still open it looks a be derelict .

The former bike shop premises, Nos. 335/337, have recently been demolished, Spud. :'(     The block now starts at #339.

Lcstockford

« Reply #746 on: August 09, 2013, 11:28:41 AM »
Phil and Bernie, just  read about highways road fond memories that's all they are.CErtainly don't recognise the old place now, some of the information is wrong.the dogs were German pointers and they were not treated as children. We had two proper children of our own, and.now spend most of our time in the French alps :(

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #747 on: August 09, 2013, 11:43:15 AM »
Lcstockford

Arthur is that you? If so it's been a long time since I last saw you. It would have been whilst you were converting those barns a Wythall.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy