Author Topic: sparkhill sparkbrook highgat  (Read 349205 times)

Lcstockford

Re: sparkhill sparkbrook highgat
« Reply #748 on: August 09, 2013, 12:07:14 PM »
It sure is ,lived in Barmouth northwales after wythall.where are you?

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #749 on: August 09, 2013, 01:33:06 PM »
Hi Arthur

I'm in Solihull and David is in Wythall, we had to move because they demolished the Talbot. Last I heard of you was you retired to your castle in wales. I thought the dogs were red setters? What's the "L" for in your user name "Lord"
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Lcstockford

« Reply #750 on: August 10, 2013, 11:40:35 AM »
Still Arthur stockford. Lord knows no lord. E mail in Lorraine's name. Lots of memories of high gate road. Are you son of Ron the wood ? Good friend of JIm Raybone who frequented  Fred's cafe and Percy the coal merchant who smashed all Fred's cracked cups Arthur

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #751 on: August 10, 2013, 11:53:18 AM »
Arthur,
No I'm not one of Ronnie sons, and I thought you would have known that Jimmy Raybone died in a silly accident when he fell off a step ladder. I also heard that Mick who used to work for you had died.

Arthur I'm disappointed that you don't remember me although you did know David better than myself. We lived in Larches Street and we at the time you had your shop in Highgate Rd we were in the skip hire game. You hired a load of skips off us when you moved to your shop in Kings Norton. We even bought your JCB off you when you finished converting the barns at Wythall.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

mac45

« Reply #752 on: August 10, 2013, 12:39:29 PM »
phil47,
           heres a snap of where he lives,  rwm
 :) hi just joined site are those blocks of f lats in upper higate st my nan lived there opposite the castle pub .

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #753 on: August 10, 2013, 01:19:10 PM »
Hi mac45

Welcome to the forum, yes those flats would have been in the vicinity of Highgate St & upper Highgate St in fact I believe they are still standing, but I thought the Castle pub was in Leopold St?
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

mac45

« Reply #754 on: August 10, 2013, 04:17:51 PM »
hi phil my nan lived at NUMBER 5 thought pub was opposite ! memory heh. we lived in Angelina st.   

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #755 on: August 10, 2013, 04:52:40 PM »
Not so fast mac45,  when I said the Castle was in Leopold St I was correct, but I was mixing it up with the Crown. I should know better because I have done the same thing before.

Although the Castle was in Leopold St it was on the corner of Upper Highgate St, and if your Nan lived at number 5 Upper Highgate St near the other corner then in truth she did live across the road from the Castle.

Here's a photo looking from Moseley Rd to Upper Highgate St and you can just see the Castle on the corner.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

mac45

« Reply #756 on: August 11, 2013, 04:09:22 PM »
 ;) thanks phil looks like we were both right .in the picture one of the shops on the left was a hairdressers ithink they called it mollys, I say this because 8 of my aunts used it they all lived at no 5.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #757 on: August 11, 2013, 04:24:37 PM »
Mac

Here is another photo of the same piece of Leopold St, but looking from the corner of Upper Highgate St toward Moseley Rd. You can even make out Hawleys Bakery on the other side of Moseley Rd.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

mac45

« Reply #758 on: August 11, 2013, 08:18:24 PM »
thanks again for picture looks like hawleys had been extended from when I remember 1955, I used to walk home from chandos rd school  and try and pinch a handful of cream from a tub where they used to mix it .I also remember round the corner in kerwickes lane a factory where they made badges for the boy scouts movement and many more I suppose.cheers

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy