Author Topic: sparkhill sparkbrook highgat  (Read 349244 times)

planetmalc

Re: sparkhill sparkbrook highgat
« Reply #792 on: May 16, 2014, 05:26:13 PM »
Yes Wendy, Dr. Dennis was also my doctor. A proper family doctor. Was even at my birth.

And so was your mother  -  how's that for a co-incidence! :o
There's no B/S on Planet Malc.

maltablue

« Reply #793 on: May 17, 2014, 06:45:09 AM »
Always a comedian (NOT )

The reply was in response, to a posting regarding a family doctor. Not a biology lesson.
Born and Bred in Sparkbrook.

Wiseguy

« Reply #794 on: June 15, 2014, 08:30:22 PM »
Does anyone remember the Wiseman family of Beechfield road? I was born here in 1958 but have 7 older brothers and sisters and reading some of these comments bring back lots of memories. Loved to go up the lane, and have never tasted ice cream as good as we got up there

gravon42

« Reply #795 on: August 29, 2014, 01:28:27 PM »
I have been reading about Sparkbrook and surrounding areas,so I will add my 2 pennorth! :)

Resident in Sparkbrook 1943 to 1960

I lived in South Road behind the Woodman Pub.  I lived at no. 4, an Aunt and Uncle (Rogers) at no.2
and another Aunt and Uncle (Howell) at no.6. There was a brush factory half way up South Road, and
Mannings timber yard.

Names I remember are Horton,  Cuff,  McGann, Egan.  I went to Montgomery Street school 1948 -1954.
Waverley Grammar School 1955- 1959. My sister went to Conway Road school.  In Stratford St.North,
there was a lovely cake shop (Taylors)  and every Friday night when Dad come home from work, we
would go and get 6 cakes for 2/6d.
Dad worked at H.E.RUDGE a brassfounders in Emily Street. We used to shop in Ladypool Road, go up
town,  or "up the Cov" Coventry Road.  We were not a drinking family,  but used to go to the cinema
quite often.  The Kingston, The Grange,  The Coronet, all on the Coventry Road,  or The Carlton off
Stoney Lane.
At the top of Henley Street was Alpine Cars. Opposite on Stratford Road,  Proffitt and Westwoods,
Vale Onslow,  a favourite shop of mine,  and further down over the road, a model shop. Another
favourite of mine. Occasionally we would go to the Lickey Hills for the day. The equivilent then of
a fortnight abroad now!  Farm park had a massive stone that was apparently a meteorite.
One life - live it!

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #796 on: August 29, 2014, 01:56:08 PM »
gravon

I remember all those places that you mention as I spent a good part of my early life on and off in the Sparkbrook area. Here is a photo of the Woodman on the corner of South Rd just after the demolition around it started. I think one of my uncles worked at H E  Rudge did they have a toolmaking shop there?
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

gravon42

« Reply #797 on: August 29, 2014, 02:03:50 PM »
Hi Phil, I lived just behind there!  When was that photo taken? Yes, they did have a
toolmakers at Rudges.  Dad was a toolmaker/setter. Dads' best mate there was
"little Johnny".
One life - live it!

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #798 on: August 29, 2014, 03:00:11 PM »
Hi Phil, I lived just behind there!  When was that photo taken? Yes, they did have a
toolmakers at Rudges.  Dad was a toolmaker/setter. Dads' best mate there was
"little Johnny".

Sorry I have no date for the photo, but I would hazard a guess at sometimes in the early 70's. It was my uncle Ted worked at Rudge's as he did at most toolmaking firms in the Highgate Sparkbrook area. He was a bit of a wastrel in his earlier life even though he was a qualified toolmaker and he knew his job well. When he calmed down later in life he worked for the last 10 years or so for Lucas Aerospace, but he died at an early age in his forties.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

frederick

« Reply #799 on: August 29, 2014, 03:47:07 PM »
gravon 42,
I used to be in that model shop very often spending my 4 shillings on an aeroplane to build, and I used to go out with a girl that lived a few houses up from Montgomery St school she had ginger hair.
Failure to Prepare is to Prepare to Fail

gravon42

« Reply #800 on: August 29, 2014, 04:04:53 PM »
Does anyone remember Chrystal Brain?  She had a caliper on her leg and lived in Montgomery Street.
One life - live it!

yapyap

« Reply #801 on: August 29, 2014, 04:38:41 PM »
you are right about the large stone in farm park, we used it as wickets when playing cricket, at the time in the 50s it was a great park, and I think the parkie lived in a house in the park , those were the days, today I would never go anywhere near Sparkbrook, as I have been told , it is a nogo area.
I lived in Sparkbrook for 26years 1944 to 1969 Gladstone Road

Patricia

« Reply #802 on: October 26, 2014, 07:54:23 PM »
I lived in Fernley Road fom 1945 til 1953.   Is there anyone out there who also lived in my street, would love to hear from you.  I went to St Johns School.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy