Author Topic: sparkhill sparkbrook highgat  (Read 350096 times)

townie

Re: sparkhill sparkbrook highgat
« Reply #869 on: November 07, 2015, 02:05:36 PM »
Hi loopyloulou  I think you may have to give a bit more information about where they lived. Do you have a street? Do you have a year? if so i'm sure one of the members from that area or one of the moderators will have the answer.   
Was it a vision, or a waking dream?

planetmalc

« Reply #870 on: November 07, 2015, 02:48:26 PM »
my gran who lived around here too her name was beatrice but people called her betty

Would she have been born around 1950 and grown up in Edward Road?
There's no B/S on Planet Malc.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #871 on: November 07, 2015, 03:14:44 PM »
Does anybody remember my grandad William smith he lived around these areas back then people called him bill or my gran who lived around here too her name was beatrice but people called her betty she had a sisters called flora , margeret, beryl and Rita and brothers  Bernard and another one who I don't know the name of familer to anyone her mum used to run an outdoor ?

There were many outdoors in Balsall Heath, any idea where it was? If so I might be able to cast some light on it for you.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

cs2ndinf

« Reply #872 on: November 11, 2015, 10:17:33 AM »
Hi
My husband's great, great uncle, Frank Sewell's, last known address was 7 Marshall Street South, Sparkbrook in August, 1914.  He died in the Battle of Loos in 1915 in France during WW1.  We want to find the location of where this street used to be so that we can have a look for any WW1 monuments, placques around that area that may contain his name.  Does anyone have an old street map they could email me so that we can see where Marshall Street used to be.   
Also, is there such a thing as a WW1 monument list with names.  Would his name more likely be in the area where his mother was living, Lower Loveday Street, not sure where where any plaques would be, is it normally closest to the family home or last know address?
Any help would be much appreciated.  Many thanks.
Christine

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #873 on: November 11, 2015, 10:59:53 AM »
Hi Christine

Are these maps of any help, Marshall Street South ran between Larches Street and Turner Street just off Highgate Road in Sparkbrook, but is disappeared under the demolitions in the 70's.

Have you tried the Hall of Memory on Broad Street for a list of the fallen in WWI, I should think that would be your best bet. Though I'm sure someone else who dabbles in genealogy would be able to let you know better, Just hold tight I'm sure someone will answer shortly.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

cs2ndinf

« Reply #874 on: November 11, 2015, 01:32:54 PM »
Many thanks for the maps, Phil.  This will help us pin point the area.  His name was mis-spelt in the printed, published version of Birmingham Soldiers who died (it has him as Ewell and not Sewell - although it is in the S section).  Also he was missed out of the book in the Hall of Remembrance totally.  We went to check on it to make sure it was correctly spelt and he wasn't there, so we applied to have him added in the amendments at the back.  We just wanted to make sure he hadn't been missed off any memorials - if any exist.

Thanks again for your help.
Christine

planetmalc

« Reply #875 on: November 28, 2015, 03:52:44 PM »
When I came past Sparkhill Library today, I noticed it had a 'For Sale' notice on it. :o
There's no B/S on Planet Malc.

townie

« Reply #876 on: November 28, 2015, 04:24:41 PM »
When I came past Sparkhill Library today, I noticed it had a 'For Sale' notice on it. :o

If sold it will probably become a mosque, as all our Muslim friends need a place to pray. They may not have a mosque in Sparkhill so good luck if they purchase it for their beliefs. 
Was it a vision, or a waking dream?

Bobguise50

« Reply #877 on: February 10, 2016, 02:29:47 PM »
Robert guise I lived in turner St 1950/1960 went to Stratford road school 55/60 remember going past the laundry and angel pub to school , saw St agathas fire from bedroom window. Piccadilly cinema was the upmarket place to go the Waldorf known as the flea pit , moved to medicott rd in 1960 lovely road that was then.(not now whole area dire ) every satuarday in the embassy roller rink 1963 the year you. Coul walk to school (golden hillock) 1961-1965 on three ft of compacted snow for weeks. Still in touch with old classmates JHON Howells 50 years on lovely to hear from anyone from those (nicer times)

Bellmeadow

« Reply #878 on: February 11, 2016, 05:49:47 PM »
Before my family moved to Druids Heath we lived on Oldfield Road Sparkbrook. 7,back of 6 Harper's buildings. I was very young at the time and have no photos of this road during that era. I wonder if anyone has any at all,that would be fabulous.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #879 on: February 11, 2016, 06:51:19 PM »
Hi Bellmeadow

Harpers Buildings would have been on the left hand side of the road going in the direction of Ladypool Rd quite near to Ladypool Rd. I can't do you a photo of that section of the road, I have one looking down the road from Kingsley Rd and two photos of the shops that would have been opposite your terrace.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy