Author Topic: sparkhill sparkbrook highgat  (Read 349195 times)

Johnnyboy

Re: sparkhill sparkbrook highgat
« Reply #935 on: July 11, 2017, 12:49:55 AM »
One thing we used to do to earn money is go to Westwood's on a Saturday morning and bring fish boxes back on our trolley. We used to dry them out and chop them up for [censored] of firewood cus we all had fires then. We got 3d a foggot or if we could get an orange or apple box from South Africa we could get 6d! It didn't stink like the fish wood. If we got money we could go to the Olympia pictures if there was a u on the night.

Johnnyboy

« Reply #936 on: July 11, 2017, 02:01:43 AM »
When we were growing up in beechfield road most people were poor with kids, elderly suffering from age and hard life or many who had lost husbands in the war. We had a shop opposite our big yard entrance which was on mole street. It's name was tarplys. They baked bread every morning except Sunday. By the one side lived the Barron family and behind was a bombed site. The other side was smiths brickyard. As kids we would build dens amongst the stacks of bricks till the police discovered us. By the side of the brick yard was an abandoned factory that made glass eyes. We had so much fun with them. Many a time we would be playing and a Man would come down beechfield road singing for money. The Webb family lived at the corner of mole street and highgate road opposite the bus station. One day we were playing on the bomb sight behind their house and a factory that did brass polishing just collapsed!! It was evening and no one was hurt

Johnnyboy

« Reply #937 on: July 11, 2017, 03:12:19 AM »
Another memory. My eldest sister loved to jive. Danced with the cellar door handle and then the real thing on a Friday night at the Locarno in hurst street. Dad would say he's locking the door at 11pm!! And he did. Too often she came home late and sat out on the outside toilet till mom an dad we're snoring and we would sneak downstairs to let her in.

Johnnyboy

« Reply #938 on: July 11, 2017, 03:22:20 AM »
Did you know that the name sparkbrook came from the sparkling brook that rose way past the top end of Stoney lane but alas is now contained in pipes underground.
When I was 12 I started working to earn pocket money. On ladypool road almost opposite the ladypool crescent there was a shop called swindlers and when I worked there called jeans. She would let people have a slate. Pay at the end of the week.
They were so nice people. I worked for them after school and weekend on Saturday. I earned like 12 shilling a week. Better than the paper round of 5 shilling

astoness

« Reply #939 on: July 11, 2017, 09:16:26 AM »
not sure if these have been posted before but here are two photos of larches st

lyn

astoness

« Reply #940 on: July 11, 2017, 09:17:41 AM »
photo 2 larches st

lyn

cocacolakid

« Reply #941 on: July 11, 2017, 12:55:20 PM »
Lyn..

Great pictures, do you know what part of Larches St  these houses were?
                                                                                                                 Malc.
Every day is a gift, that's why they call it the present.

astoness

« Reply #942 on: July 11, 2017, 01:01:12 PM »
sorry cocacolakid i have no idea..they are just a couple i found in my files...you could try saving them and then zoom into the doors as you maybe lucky to see a number O0

lyn

mikejee

« Reply #943 on: July 11, 2017, 01:10:10 PM »
I don't think ypou will succeed. they were two that I took around 1970 and have not yet been able to exactly identify. Phil said that thye were Larches St, but that is all we know

cocacolakid

« Reply #944 on: July 11, 2017, 01:34:48 PM »
Lyn & mikejee..

Thanks for response.
                                                                                                                    Malc.
Every day is a gift, that's why they call it the present.

maltablue

« Reply #945 on: July 11, 2017, 02:40:59 PM »
Jonnyboy, yes knew David. There were back to back houses behind where he lived. Alan, Donald and Dorothy White lived there. I recall Davids father used to drive a wagon, for the place next to the Laundry, on Ladypool Road.Do you remember Frankie Tooth and his sister, lived a couple of doors along from the barbers shop.
Born and Bred in Sparkbrook.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy