Author Topic: sparkhill sparkbrook highgat  (Read 349181 times)

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: sparkhill sparkbrook highgat
« Reply #946 on: July 11, 2017, 03:37:03 PM »
Malc

The second photo was at the top end of the street, you can just see the corrugated sheeting where they fenced off the site that was Wildens Sweet Shop before it was demolished. Another mate of mine lived in the first house next to the site and I still see him from time to time.

So the second photo shows No's 2 to 7 and the first I'm pretty sure was a little further down the road before Larches Passage and were No's 11 to 15. Mike was only 2 houses short of our house.

Phil died in 2020. RIP.

cocacolakid

« Reply #947 on: July 11, 2017, 06:59:08 PM »
Phil..

Thanks for the info, though I have a picture of Larches St in my mind, mainly from the Talbot to just past Larches Passage, I could not distinguish anything from the 2 pics, so needed help.

Malc.
Every day is a gift, that's why they call it the present.

Johnnyboy

« Reply #948 on: July 11, 2017, 09:20:07 PM »
I have a recollection of the name tooth. I was in David drinkwaters class. There was another David bigger lad in the next house up can't recall his last name tho. I was in his class too. Christ church school. Next to fields paper shop was a general goods shop called the knock out stores. We got our parrifin from there. And next to there on the corner was the wool shop for knitters! Mom would get her knitting wool from there.
Do you remember the chippy on highgate road opposite the top end of larches street. The craythorne family ran it Elaine craythorne was in our class too as was Robert crane who lived on highgate road opposite the chippy. I remember going to watch lassie on their TV they were well off to have a tele. Lol

Johnnyboy

« Reply #949 on: July 11, 2017, 10:15:43 PM »
Just remembered the other davids name .... David rayner.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #950 on: July 11, 2017, 10:41:33 PM »

Do you remember the chippy on highgate road opposite the top end of larches street. The craythorne family ran it Elaine craythorne was in our class too as was Robert crane who lived on highgate road opposite the chippy. I remember going to watch lassie on their TV they were well off to have a tele. Lol

Hi Johnnyboy

Welcome to the forum, I knew Len & Violet Craythorne well and used to drink with Len in the Talbot, I always thought it was a sweet shop that Vi ran and Len worked for Pickfords moving heavy plant.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Johnnyboy

« Reply #951 on: July 11, 2017, 10:50:09 PM »
You know what. I think your right I'm getting mixed up.

Johnnyboy

« Reply #952 on: July 11, 2017, 11:27:44 PM »
Elaine was in my class too at Christ church school, her good friend was Lynn astley and another in our class was Dorothy weyman I think her dad had some sort of business on corner of long st and kerwicks lane. As kids we had to go to the sidings by Montpellier st to get coal in the pram. As I got older I used to go with my brother on Saturdays to Hawleys bakery on his bread round the other end of kerwicks lane. They used to deliver into Shirley. It was so exciting and so different to sparkbrook.

brummylove

« Reply #953 on: August 27, 2017, 05:32:26 PM »
Was there more than one junior school in sparkbrook in 1976? Does anyone remember the family named pilmer that lived on site as Mr pilmer was the caretaker. I can't remember the name of the school. They had a daughter and a son who still lived at home. The son was 14 in 1976 named Gary. I can't remember the daughters name. It was a very old school with shelter in the basement during the war..

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #954 on: August 27, 2017, 06:42:58 PM »
Brummylove,

There were several junior schools in Sparkbrook and they were mostly old buildings, I think you would need to supply more information to trace the school you are after, unless somebody else can remember the family you have named,.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

brummylove

« Reply #955 on: August 27, 2017, 06:48:59 PM »
Thanks Phil..I can't remember much else as friends lived at the school and I only visited.. I will have to dig deep into my memories, which isn't to easy now days :D

Bronson

« Reply #956 on: August 27, 2017, 11:17:35 PM »
Although I lived in Greet , Sparkhill, Sparkbrook and surrounding area was  my stomping ground so to speak. The photograph of the " Gate pub. " is of interest to me because my mother lived in one of the houses  directly behind the pub. My grandfather and uncles were regulars. I bet there's a Warwick on that picture. When that picture was taken in 1909 my grandfather would be in his 40s..

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy