Author Topic: sparkhill sparkbrook highgat  (Read 349194 times)

frederick

Re: sparkhill sparkbrook highgat
« Reply #968 on: October 08, 2017, 06:08:45 PM »
Spud,
I became friendly with a girl just a couple of doors away from 111 it was just that we were about the same age.

Geoff,
Thinking about it today, my work friend Roy his brother lived just a few doors away from his parents same side towards Formans rd.
Failure to Prepare is to Prepare to Fail

gravon42

« Reply #969 on: October 10, 2017, 10:46:02 AM »
I have not visited this site for some time,so I have read from page 1 again!  I was born in 1943,  and lived in South Road just behind The Woodman pub on the corner with Henley Street.  I went to Montgomery Street school from 1948 to 54. I noticed that at least 2 people on here mentioned Mr Brazier the headmaster.  I remember him very well,  soft spoken and pleasant.  I passed my 11 plus, and went to Queensbridge Grammar school for 2 years then Waverley Grammar school for the last three[size=78%].[/size]

[size=78%]My sister (2 years younger) was a fan of the Waldorf roller rink and spent a lot of time there .  There was a brush factory half way up South Road, and a timber yard Jones [/size]
[size=78%]Manley, which I think is still going. [/size]
[size=78%]In 1960 we moved to Longbridge into a new maisonette on the Bristol Road.[/size]
One life - live it!

Catlover

« Reply #970 on: October 22, 2017, 03:26:55 PM »
I know this is a long shot, but does anyone have any photos of Lea Road in the late 50s  early 60s. I used to live in Lea Road and we were just opposite Greet School. In those days the area was known as Greet rather than Sparkhill, no idea when it changed to Sparkhill. I remember our roof being struck by lightening and having to vacate the place for a while. I used to have a newspaper cutting of the incident but cant find it any where.

Love this site, everyone is so knowledgeable regarding the history of the area and the photos and stories are amazing, they have provoked so many memories.

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #971 on: October 22, 2017, 03:57:27 PM »

hi catlover

this is the best I could come up with

each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

Catlover

« Reply #972 on: October 22, 2017, 04:05:45 PM »
hi catlover

this is the best I could come up with

Thank your Roy, that is very kind of you to find that for me.

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #973 on: October 22, 2017, 04:41:07 PM »

could this be leacato street  O0

Catlover

« Reply #974 on: October 22, 2017, 05:38:50 PM »
could this be leacato street  O0

Love the cats.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #975 on: December 17, 2017, 03:04:56 PM »
I was browsing the Phyllis Nicklin Collection the other day when I came across this photo of Larches Street in Sparkbrook where most of my fathers siblings  were born and lived all their lives. The photo was taken in 1954 when they were all still living at number 17 which is not in the photo. The photo is of the middle section of the street and shows the rear entrance of the Warwick public house on the left and the house just before there was 117 where my uncle who I worked with most of my life would later own and a few doors before that was where my aunt lived. Even when these houses were demolished in the 70's nobody moved very[/size] far, my aunt moving a few doors further up the road into a masionette next door to my grandmother and my uncle into the next street. Oddly the only ones to move out of the district were myself and my father, but there again until moving to my present abode I never lived anywhere for more than three to for years at one time.[/size]
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #976 on: December 17, 2017, 03:49:22 PM »

hi phil I was doing the same thing one day when I come across this photo and I'm 99% sure its yours truly play on the patch out side st martins flats

I lived in my gogs

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #977 on: December 17, 2017, 04:09:52 PM »
Roy

She took that photo along with several others of the same location in 1957, would'nt you have been a little older then?
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #978 on: December 17, 2017, 04:31:25 PM »
yes phill I would have been older then  but in 1952 or 1953 we was on the patch playing and there was a chap taking photos  so is it possible that the photo was not taken in 1957 but in 1952   could the date be wrong?

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy