Author Topic: sparkhill sparkbrook highgat  (Read 349218 times)

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: sparkhill sparkbrook highgat
« Reply #979 on: December 17, 2017, 04:41:42 PM »
Roy

The photo was taken, by a young lady (Phyllis Nicklyn) who was generaly very good with her records as she was a lecturer at Birmingham University and she took the colour slides as an aid for her lectures on the geography of Birmingham. Though with other people handling her records since her death in 1969 anything is possible.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #980 on: December 17, 2017, 04:48:15 PM »
phil 1952 was a long long time ago  it could have  been a woman dressed like a man who knows
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

JudithM

« Reply #981 on: January 22, 2018, 01:17:27 PM »
I know I mentioned this before when I was posting about my Granddad who lived in Grove Road, Sparkhill, but the BBC had an article the other day about unsolved murders & one of the ones heighted was the murder of the Rowley sisters above their shop on the corner of Greswolde Road/Grove Road in 1987.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-42063834

As I said before, I remember it very well as the sisters were good friends of my Granddad.  The shop was just a few houses away & I bought sweets there many times when I was a kid.  Granddad would take the shop takings to the bank for them as he didn't like the idea of them carrying money to the bank as he considered it dangerous & then they were killed in their own home where they should have been safe  :(.

He had a group of who he referred to as 'his ladies' who'd meet up at his house once a week to play cards & they were part of that group & he was deeply affected by their deaths.  He died 5 years later (aged 90), but by then had become pretty much a total recluse & wouldn't answer the door to anyone unless he knew in advance they were coming, it made him lose faith in the goodness of others.  Such a shame to see.
"I know tomorrow's gonna taste like cake"

Spud

« Reply #982 on: January 22, 2018, 01:23:54 PM »
I remember the murder a my Mother lived in Percy Road at the time one of her neighbours was interviewed by the Police at the time [best not to quote his name]
The Only Free Cheese is in The Trap

Julie Carr

« Reply #983 on: February 10, 2018, 08:09:54 PM »
I have been reading about Sparkbrook and surrounding areas,so I will add my 2 pennorth! :)

Resident in Sparkbrook 1943 to 1960

I lived in South Road behind the Woodman Pub.  I lived at no. 4, an Aunt and Uncle (Rogers) at no.2
and another Aunt and Uncle (Howell) at no.6. There was a brush factory half way up South Road, and
Mannings timber yard.

Names I remember are Horton,  Cuff,  McGann, Egan.  I went to Montgomery Street school 1948 -1954.
Waverley Grammar School 1955- 1959. My sister went to Conway Road school.  In Stratford St.North,
there was a lovely cake shop (Taylors)  and every Friday night when Dad come home from work, we
would go and get 6 cakes for 2/6d.
Dad worked at H.E.RUDGE a brassfounders in Emily Street. We used to shop in Ladypool Road, go up
town,  or "up the Cov" Coventry Road.  We were not a drinking family,  but used to go to the cinema
quite often.  The Kingston, The Grange,  The Coronet, all on the Coventry Road,  or The Carlton off
Stoney Lane.
At the top of Henley Street was Alpine Cars. Opposite on Stratford Road,  Proffitt and Westwoods,
Vale Onslow,  a favourite shop of mine,  and further down over the road, a model shop. Another
favourite of mine. Occasionally we would go to the Lickey Hills for the day. The equivilent then of
a fortnight abroad now!  Farm park had a massive stone that was apparently a meteorite.

Julie Carr

« Reply #984 on: February 10, 2018, 08:35:25 PM »
I read with fond memorex of all the people who you name I was born in South Rd 1952 and moved  over to behind the woodman pub in Henley st  2 years later till I was 16 my grandfather and his family lived in South Rd next to Evelyn gradys grocery store and worked at manleys woodyard my family name was Moore my mom keeps asking about a pub in South Rd that became a brush factory if anyone can help with the name of the pub I would be most grateful  happy memories of a lovely place to live x

Julie Carr

« Reply #985 on: February 10, 2018, 08:40:57 PM »
forgot to add my mom is still in touch with the meagans

gravon42

« Reply #986 on: August 21, 2018, 11:12:14 PM »
I read with fond memorex of all the people who you name I was born in South Rd 1952 and moved  over to behind the woodman pub in Henley st  2 years later till I was 16 my grandfather and his family lived in South Rd next to Evelyn gradys grocery store and worked at manleys woodyard my family name was Moore my mom keeps asking about a pub in South Rd that became a brush factory if anyone can help with the name of the pub I would be most grateful  happy memories of a lovely place to live x

Only just found this!!!...........Julie,you lived next door to me at number 5! You used to play with us,Graham and Valerie, no.4.  My
cousins Judith,Jeanette, and Susan lived at no 6.............WOW!!
One life - live it!

frederick

« Reply #987 on: August 22, 2018, 11:40:39 AM »
I have seen a photo of the newly refurbished Sparkhill swimming baths and it looks impressive. Are the original pools still in place, and what is in the new up stirs part at the front.
Failure to Prepare is to Prepare to Fail

Clairepb

« Reply #988 on: August 22, 2018, 02:54:25 PM »
Hi this is along shot my family lived in 10 delhi terrace emily street poole is the family surname I saw a post somewhere else that someone called"shortie" had found a death certificate in this property.  Does this address still exist? ?

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #989 on: August 22, 2018, 03:16:57 PM »
Hi Claire

I'm afraid the original Emily Street you are looking for has long faded into history, there is a section of the street left, but it has been completely rebuilt.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy