Author Topic: sparkhill sparkbrook highgat  (Read 350114 times)

gravon42

Re: sparkhill sparkbrook highgat
« Reply #990 on: August 22, 2018, 05:28:41 PM »
My Dad worked in Emily Street.  H.E.Rudge, brassfounders.  On Saturdays,  I used to go to work with him, because it was quiet. He
used to clean the machines down.
One life - live it!

Julie Carr

« Reply #991 on: August 22, 2018, 08:32:44 PM »
Hi there this is julie  again so pleased to hear from people who lived next door to me in Henley street we lived behind the woodman we lived at no 5 I would love to be contacted again by val if possible so interested to catch up from julie  O0

gravon42

« Reply #992 on: August 22, 2018, 10:30:15 PM »
Hi Julie,  unfortunately, Val died in 2009 from an aneurysm,  a week before her 64th birthday.  I remember a man with a french horn
living at no. 5.  He used to come in and practice with our piano.
I remember the Meagans name, also Evelyns shop.  There was a hairdresser round the corner,  Alberts,  where we stood outside
with a crowd and watched the Queens coronation.  He was the only one in the area with a television!
One life - live it!

Julie Carr

« Reply #993 on: August 22, 2018, 11:19:57 PM »
Hi Julie,  unfortunately, Val died in 2009 from an aneurysm,  a week before her 64th birthday.  I remember a man with a french horn
living at no. 5.  He used to come in and practice with our piano.
I remember the Meagans name, also Evelyns shop.  There was a hairdresser round the corner,  Alberts,  where we stood outside
with a crowd and watched the Queens coronation.  He was the only one in the area with a televi

Hello again so sorry to hear about val I have lovely memories of the old end as we always call it it was sad when everyone moved to different places we moved when I was 16 to chelmsley wood we now live in Water Orton and have for 34 years told my mom about you message today she was so taken aback in time it made her day x

Julie Carr

« Reply #994 on: August 23, 2018, 04:41:32 PM »
Hello julie again so sorry to hear about val,told mom she was very sad to hear that,she was wondering if you knew how all your cousins who lived the other side of us we’re doing mom still receives cards from mrs Megan’s which is lovely.such happy memories from all that went on there I used to sit on the wood mans wall watching them get all the pigeons ready  for racing putting the rings on them I always worried
In case they were hurting them😊

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #995 on: August 23, 2018, 05:33:47 PM »

the woodman pub how it may have looked in its day

each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

Julie Carr

« Reply #996 on: August 23, 2018, 06:42:46 PM »
The woodman pub was all my family’s local in fact my mom and dad had their wedding reception there some 67 years ago and my grandad Harry warren or Warwick as he was know used to play the piano in there,

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #997 on: August 23, 2018, 06:58:15 PM »
The woodman pub was all my family’s local in fact my mom and dad had their wedding reception there some 67 years ago and my grandad Harry warren or Warwick as he was know used to play the piano in there,

hi Julie   I did not put this photo up at first you will find it if you look back at the posts all I have done is turned the black and white photo in to a tad of colour to add a bit of life to it

Julie Carr

« Reply #998 on: August 23, 2018, 07:16:31 PM »
the pub looks just like I remember it like it was yesterday I used to go into the outdoor to the left side looking at the pub for my bottle of vimto as my treat❤️

Julie Carr

« Reply #999 on: August 23, 2018, 07:19:08 PM »
Would you believe my husband worked at rudges in about 1970 he was the driver there he used to drive the owner into town most days for him to have his gin and tonics

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1000 on: August 23, 2018, 07:28:08 PM »

hi Julie
                well I must tell you I lived in Samson road and gratham road and in my youth I would go in to the lion and lamb under age and also round to the embassy roller rink and to the wadorf fliks and the Piccadilly  I think   I would be about 16 at the time so I know your part of the world well I often could  be found with my mate sitting on the bench by the number 8 bus stop out side the pub drinking my bottle  of tizer   O0 O0   and smoking my parkdrive fags

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy