Author Topic: sparkhill sparkbrook highgat  (Read 349215 times)

Julie Carr

Re: sparkhill sparkbrook highgat
« Reply #1001 on: August 23, 2018, 07:41:15 PM »
😊oh my the memories flood backed used to go to the waldorf for roller skating and the best was watching all the the old wrestlers there with my grandad and the old ladies hitting them with there handbags ...I can say old ladies as coming from a 66 year old pensioner I think I can get away with it 🤣🤣..and yes the Piccadilly that was my Sunday afternoon with my friend watching all the hammer house of horror films oh happy days

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1002 on: August 23, 2018, 07:47:14 PM »
I also went to the flicks on ladypool road and the flea pit on mosley road belgrave road  and my mate and I used to get on the roof of the  embassy and look at the   
wrestling  for free  we used to get in via the back on Conway road school
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

Julie Carr

« Reply #1003 on: August 23, 2018, 07:59:03 PM »
[ ;)  tut tut you little devils and using my old secondary school to get up there but in our days it was only devilment no harm intended can you remember kytslake rd fish and chip shop I used to go with a bowl to get [censored] and peas for mom and dad my dream was to work there 😃😃

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1004 on: August 23, 2018, 08:28:06 PM »

yes I do remember it well  O0 now your old school I could tell you a few tails about the things me and my mate got up     ill just say that iv been all over the roofs of that school nuff said about that   farm road park was my play ground and  the one at the top of ladypool road plus highgat park I used to get about a bit

I got told off a few times but never had any thing much to do with the police had a few dads after me going to ring my neck why that would be im not sure ::) ::) ;D O0 still im still hear so I got away with it O0 O0 :D :D

Julie Carr

« Reply #1005 on: August 23, 2018, 09:25:17 PM »
🤣🤣 haha you sound like most of the lads that I knew round there but they we’re really nice and would always look after me if they didn’t like the lad I was going out with they would tell me you can do better that that😊they were worse than my dad... O0  but I always knew I was safe there.

gravon42

« Reply #1006 on: September 04, 2018, 12:09:52 PM »
Hello julie again so sorry to hear about val,told mom she was very sad to hear that,she was wondering if you knew how all your cousins who lived the other side of us we’re doing mom still receives cards from mrs Megan’s which is lovely.such happy memories from all that went on there I used to sit on the wood mans wall watching them get all the pigeons ready  for racing putting the rings on them I always worried
In case they were hurting them😊
Hi Julie,Re.cousins,Judith, eldest died of cancer about 15 years ago. Do not hear from Jeanette and Susan,  but I think
they both live down south. You must have had a sore bum! From what I remember the wall was covered in glass! ::)
One life - live it!

Hi De Hi

« Reply #1007 on: December 14, 2018, 08:57:22 AM »
malc

I can't remember the name of the block of flats either, wasn't it something simple like Beach Tower or something like that. I can show you a photo of them however that was taken in 1961. I didn't think they were that old

Phil

The flats were called Longlands House. My parents moved into them in 1958 when they were new built and I was still a baby.  Our flat is on the left of the photo on the 4th floor.  They moved out 20 years later.  They are now demolished and the site is used for car parking.  The smaller blocks are still there as are our cricket wickets painted onto the wall at one end of the playground!

Hi De Hi

« Reply #1008 on: December 14, 2018, 08:58:12 AM »
😊oh my the memories flood backed used to go to the waldorf for roller skating and the best was watching all the the old wrestlers there with my grandad and the old ladies hitting them with there handbags ...I can say old ladies as coming from a 66 year old pensioner I think I can get away with it 🤣🤣..and yes the Piccadilly that was my Sunday afternoon with my friend watching all the hammer house of horror films oh happy days

wasn't the roller rink called the Embassy? The Waldorf was the fleapit cinema nearby.

Hi De Hi

« Reply #1009 on: December 14, 2018, 09:03:52 AM »
Hi Fred

Not too sure what you mean, are these the ones. They were not taken by me, but grabbed off the net somewhere. I don't take many photos of modern buildings as there is nothing to interest me. When we go on holiday my wife rarely allows me to take a camera, because I go of searching for old buildings.

Phil

If you watch the Citizen Khan TV show they sometimes film on Ladypool Road and they use the George Pub exterior although  think the interior scenes are in a studio.

Hi De Hi

« Reply #1010 on: December 14, 2018, 09:06:08 AM »
Anybody out there born in Ombersley Road or Tillingham St or Ladypool Road.
Look forward to hearing from anyone.
Cheers
Dave

My best mate live in Ombersley Rd.  can't recall the number but it was anout 50 yards up from Ladypool on the left. His name is Norman Wass. He lives in Kent now but I still see him regularly if you know him.  His mom was Mary and I think his dad was called Harry.

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1011 on: December 14, 2018, 09:10:09 AM »
The Waldorf was the fleapit cinema nearby. and so was the Piccadilly happy days spent in farm road park 

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy