Author Topic: sparkhill sparkbrook highgat  (Read 349187 times)

Bushbaby

Re: sparkhill sparkbrook highgat
« Reply #1023 on: April 13, 2019, 05:05:19 AM »
Yap yap.. glad I found you..are you the same yap yap who used to run the woodman pub on Edward rd..1970s. If you are could you please tell me the name of the other st/rd it was on.
Yes the talk of the town was Stratford rd opposite what is now Aldi supermarket..
And I cannot remember the name of the one over from the Antelope.but I will try and find out for you..
Hope to hear from you regards the pub..
Best wishes from Bushbaby.

Hi De Hi

« Reply #1024 on: April 13, 2019, 09:44:48 AM »
Yap yap.. glad I found you..are you the same yap yap who used to run the woodman pub on Edward rd..1970s. If you are could you please tell me the name of the other st/rd it was on.
Yes the talk of the town was Stratford rd opposite what is now Aldi supermarket..
And I cannot remember the name of the one over from the Antelope.but I will try and find out for you..
Hope to hear from you regards the pub..
Best wishes from Bushbaby.

I don't recall a pub opposite the Antelope (Which is an Indian restaurant now) but IIRC there was a drinking club where Showell Green lane met the Stratford road which is almost opposite the Antelope.  The building was in the very sharp angled corner that those roads made.  I think the building collapsed sometime in the early 70s.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #1025 on: April 13, 2019, 09:56:47 AM »
Hi de Hi

The club on the corner of Showell Green Lane was the Cascades, quite apt as you say because it cascaded into the street one day. Luckily it wasn't open at the time, the only thing I remember about the club was they had the biggest West Indian bouncer that I had ever seen who went by the name of "King".
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Hi De Hi

« Reply #1026 on: April 14, 2019, 03:52:17 PM »
Hi de Hi

The club on the corner of Showell Green Lane was the Cascades, quite apt as you say because it cascaded into the street one day. Luckily it wasn't open at the time, the only thing I remember about the club was they had the biggest West Indian bouncer that I had ever seen who went by the name of "King".

Back to the 'pub opposite the Antelope'.  Coming out of town once you passed the Angel in Sparkbrook there isn't/wasn't another pub on that side of the road until you get to the Saracen's Head in Shirley.

Knbrummie

« Reply #1027 on: August 03, 2019, 04:51:56 PM »
Phil,
it was known as an Irish pub when i went in there one or two times, i bet it,s not an Irish pub now  :o

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #1028 on: August 03, 2019, 05:04:47 PM »
Hi Knbrunmmie

was there something you wanted to say, just try again you will soon work out how to leave a message.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Jacks

« Reply #1029 on: September 03, 2019, 09:30:01 AM »
Hello I stumbled across the forum and have spent a happy half hour reading tho I cant work out how to move from page 1 to 2.
I lived at 81 larches street from1960 to 1973, before that we lived on Stoney Lane, near alma place.
My uncle Harry worked at the coal yard in Larches St and i recall the Cresswells who had a shop and outdoor. I used to go there for a jug of ale for dad. I went to Ladypool j&i on Stratford rd, head teacher Mrs Shakespear then Mr Brazil how could you forget names like those. I also remember a Mrs Hutchinson but not fondly. There were really old desks and we had to sit up properly, it was like something from Dickens. Lovely little school. I went back to the street about 10 years ago, the house had gone but thd ones in Long St could be seen and I could tell where our house had been, and the lamp post was still there. Im sure I can recall the lamp lighter but I think they must have changed to electric by 1960.
Im looking forward to the rest of the thread

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #1030 on: September 03, 2019, 09:53:28 AM »
Hi Jacks

Welcome to the forum, as you have probably read most of my family on my fathers side lived in Larches Street most of their lives and nearly all of them died there. My grandfather, my grandmother, my aunt and two uncles all passed away whilst living there. Only my father and my uncle who I worked with for most of my working life passed away after moving. In fact I still have an uncle by marriage that lives in one of the maisonettes that were built in Larches Street in the 1960's. Only its called Timbers Way now at that end of the street.

If you want to turn a page just click on the page number at the top or bottom of the page. 
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

bookworm

« Reply #1031 on: September 05, 2019, 09:09:16 PM »
Hello and welcome Jacks. I read your post and when you mentioned Alma Place I thought it might have been the one in Turner Street. Was there another one on Stoney Lane? I had a friend who lived in Larches Street by the name of Carol Hunt, you may have known her. I and a few others within the surrounding areas of Larches Street also went to Stratford Road School although we were a little older than you. Mrs Shakespeare was a little formidable but had a good heart. So many changes have taken place in and around Larches Street but we all have our memories I am glad to say. I really hope you stay with the Forum and have a lovely time here. I always watch it but don't post as much as I should (I intend to rectify that!) Lovely to read your post I hope you write some more. Bookworm x

Seabrook Bred

« Reply #1032 on: November 29, 2019, 09:20:00 PM »
Hi Julie,  unfortunately, Val died in 2009 from an aneurysm,  a week before her 64th birthday.  I remember a man with a french horn
living at no. 5.  He used to come in and practice with our piano.
I remember the Meagans name, also Evelyns shop.  There was a hairdresser round the corner,  Alberts,  where we stood outside
with a crowd and watched the Queens coronation.  He was the only one in the area with a television!
Was that barber's Milners in Henley Street? I used to have my hair cut there in the mid 50s. He used to charge me a shilling and give me a penny back to buy a lollipop.

maryjoseph

gratham road
« Reply #1033 on: April 03, 2020, 11:56:52 PM »
can any one who lived on gratham road remember a family call orr dad bill daughter mary and sister margreat thay lived at 37

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy