Author Topic: sparkhill sparkbrook highgat  (Read 349168 times)

Chrisniqua

Re: sparkhill sparkbrook highgat
« Reply #1034 on: April 17, 2020, 08:18:21 PM »
Hi Phil,
          Very difficult to precis 50 years, so much has happened over that period but when our family broke up we were farmed out to friends and relatives I was 8 years old then. My sisters were Joan, Joy,and Barbara. Dad's name was Len not Frank but that aside it seems both you and me are blessed with a near photographic memory(must have been something in the water). Do you remember the Holloways who lived a few doors lower than us and the Winspurs who lived a few doors higher?What about that Carribbean Gentleman who lived next door to me who murdered his wife a few years later?
           Our Mom died in 1979 and Dad in 1987, he never married again but Mom did 10 years before she died. At the end of 1958 me, Joan and Joy were unceremoniously whisked away to Erdington Cottage Homes for the next 5 years. For some reason Barbara stayed in Larches St with the Winspurs at No. 90. Our experiences at the homes are in a book due out this month.
             Plenty more memories to come so watch this space.
                                                 regards
                                                             Freddie

Chrisniqua

Re: sparkhill sparkbrook highgat--WINSPUR/WINSPURS
« Reply #1035 on: April 17, 2020, 08:21:40 PM »

Hello, I am new to this list.  I am researching the WINSPUR genealogy.  They lived in Birmingham.  This would be Samuel and Edith Davis (nee Talbot) Winspur.  At one point they lived on Gooch Street and later moved to 9 Erasmus Road, Sparkbrook.  They had 3 known sons:  Samuel, Frank and Gilbert.  Can anyone recall this family?  Thanks, Chris

JaxBoA

« Reply #1036 on: October 25, 2020, 07:11:13 PM »
My mum’s family lived at no. 11 and 20 from the 1930’s until after the war. Family name was McCarthy and Norwood. We have a fabulous photo that my great grandfather took of the 1937 celebrations. I’d like to upload but don’t know how to!

Munnim

« Reply #1037 on: October 27, 2020, 10:09:31 PM »
Bookworm,  Do you remember the Hill family that lived next door to the fish and chip shop in Beechfield Rd?
My mother was one of the Hill family, her name was Violet. Myself and a lot of my cousins used to go there every Saturday morning to see our nan and grandad.

Lynsey Fox

« Reply #1038 on: January 24, 2021, 02:34:31 PM »
My Dad was born at 106 Highgate Rd Sparkbrook in 51 x

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1039 on: January 24, 2021, 02:40:17 PM »
hi lynsey  welcome to the forum sit back and enjoy    roy
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

Lynsey Fox

« Reply #1040 on: January 24, 2021, 02:48:22 PM »
hi lynsey  welcome to the forum sit back and enjoy    roy
[/quote

Ty!

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1041 on: January 24, 2021, 02:52:37 PM »
i lived in grantham road and samson road for a short time but at that time my girl friend now my wife was not to happy about me drinking her words we have better things to spend our money on
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

jonken555

« Reply #1042 on: January 30, 2021, 11:52:43 AM »
I was born on Palmerston road  and we later moved to Grantham road , used to enjoy going to the Piccadilly cinema on Saturday mornings.

Hi De Hi

« Reply #1043 on: January 30, 2021, 01:14:02 PM »
I was born on Palmerston road  and we later moved to Grantham road , used to enjoy going to the Piccadilly cinema on Saturday mornings.

Can you still sing the ABC minors song?  I can. ;D   I lived on Beach Road opposite the Piccadilly. My grandparents lived on Osborne Road.

jonken555

« Reply #1044 on: January 30, 2021, 01:41:09 PM »
Sorry cant recall it, my best friend lived on 0sborne road in fact his mum still lives there. My brother married a girl who lived
further up the Stratford Road. I went to the  Waldorf cinema many times as well and in later years frequented the snooker hall next door.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy