Author Topic: Aston, Newtown & Witton.  (Read 51439 times)

O.C. Reborn

Re: Aston, Newtown & Witton.
« Reply #44 on: June 14, 2010, 02:22:00 PM »
  • Phil.. That is just what I want....Thanks a Lot ..... the two men are standing in Brickiln Lane (note the spelling) Nameplate tells you and confirmed on a map of 1792 Staniforth St. is on the Left where my Great Grandfather lived in 1861
  • Formerly .........Cromwell .....then O.C. in another Cyber life...Now ...A lot more wiser

Phil

• Account Closed
    « Reply #45 on: June 14, 2010, 04:18:51 PM »
    OC

Glad it's something like what you want, I will of course keep looking.

Phil
    Phil died in 2020. RIP.

chas35

« Reply #46 on: June 14, 2010, 05:47:40 PM »
    I used to go to the Orient - lived just round the corner. used to go on a Saturday morning to the matinee with our jam sandwiches - those were the days    ::)

Chas

Phil

• Account Closed
    « Reply #47 on: June 16, 2010, 08:11:44 PM »
    OC

These photos were around the area that you are looking for, if not the streets that you want. If they are of no use to you I'm sure that they might interest somebody.

As they are all early photos, they show a little of the conditions in the area that were part of everyday life for some.

Bagot St, Court 3 1904
    Bagot St, Court 4 1900
    Bagot St
    Moland St, Aston St junction.

Phil
    Phil died in 2020. RIP.

O.C. Reborn

« Reply #48 on: June 17, 2010, 08:37:18 AM »
    Thanks Phil, Now can you give me the name of the Street in the middle of Brickiln Stret....... hard to read on the map
    Formerly .........Cromwell .....then O.C. in another Cyber life...Now ...A lot more wiser

mikejee

« Reply #49 on: June 17, 2010, 09:41:26 AM »
    It is balloon st.
    Mike

Phil

• Account Closed
    « Reply #50 on: June 17, 2010, 10:08:14 AM »
    Mike I thought you might come up with the answer, Ive just been looking through what I have to see if I could come up with anything.

When did Balloon St disappear then Mike, because I have nothing resembling it on any map I have.

Phil
    Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Phil

• Account Closed
    « Reply #51 on: June 17, 2010, 12:58:57 PM »
    OC

Just confirming the excellent result by Mike, here is a section of map and another photo of the junction of Aston St and Brickiln St taken in 1934.

Phil
    Phil died in 2020. RIP.

O.C. Reborn

« Reply #52 on: June 17, 2010, 01:11:51 PM »
    Thanks for that Mike I thought it was that but did not like to guess ...........
    Named after the First Balloon flights in Brum which took of from behind the old pubs to draw the crowds in ......but they were soon stopped afer causing serious fires...
    Phil, Love the photo of Brickiln Street named after the brickworks that built Brums earlier homes........so you are looking down Staniforth St or Lancaster St
    Thanks both......
    Formerly .........Cromwell .....then O.C. in another Cyber life...Now ...A lot more wiser

Phil

• Account Closed
    « Reply #53 on: June 17, 2010, 01:42:33 PM »
    OC

I have this problem of believing the text that comes with some photos. When very often it is wrong. I know I really shouldn't do it, but I believe that people who are paid to research these things would have the tenacity to do a proper job.

Here is another copy of the same photo from another source with some written explanation. You may have to use the scroll bar to read it all.

Phil
    Phil died in 2020. RIP.

O.C. Reborn

« Reply #54 on: June 17, 2010, 02:13:26 PM »
    Phil, I have modified my last few post as for some strange reason I called it Brickiln Lane even though I put a map on of Brickiln Street
    Brickiln Lane is a good bit away it was later named the Horsefair  (Holloway head)
    Aston St became Corporation St so on reading books names changed quite a lot and often folk use the wrong map for the period they are writing about ...
    and the mistake is past on

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy