Author Topic: Aston, Newtown & Witton.  (Read 51447 times)

blews st

Re: Aston, Newtown & Witton.
« Reply #88 on: March 23, 2017, 09:27:53 PM »
I started  life at 12 Mansfield Rd Aston,it had an attic and cellar, 2 bedrooms 2 living rooms and the back kitchen, no running hot water and coal fires.The toilet was outside in the back garden warmed up in winter by a little paraffin heater to stop the pipes freezing.We had squares of cut up newspaper hanging on a hook on the door to use if there was no Izal paper left. at night we had the guzzunder and god help ya if you did anything other than a wee! My Nan and Grandad were Jim and Lil Carpenter their daughters Betty, Pat and Maureen were all brought up there.
My grandsons love to listen to stories of my happy childhood and are incredulous to hear that we had a bath in a tin bath in front of the fire, children first then the women and lastly the men, all in the same water. We girls had to get dressed behind the sofa to preserve our modesty. Remember the Boys Brigade Band marching down the road on Sundays, the coalman, the milkman and the chimmney sweep all plying their trades. The corner shops, the outdoor and the bookies  A lost world!! Summer days shelling peas in the garden, running up the entry and playing in the mud .Sunday school and nursery where we each had a little camp bed for an afternoon nap. Saturday at the ABC Minors watching Lawrence of Arabia. Could talk about those days forever , the boys always say "but Nanny you're not a Victorian"
Hi Sandrac i was born in Blews St in 1937 i think Mansfield rd ran in to Blews st and Newtown row No money but happy days.

blews st

« Reply #89 on: March 23, 2017, 09:32:37 PM »
Gibson

Well how old were you before you found out what toilets were for. Its a wonder you didn't burst.

Here the same place a few years earlier, not much of a difference except for  in public transport.

Phil
Hi Phil great picture i remember Aston Cross working for Ansells in the 50s 60s wish i could have them times back

blews st

« Reply #90 on: March 23, 2017, 09:40:38 PM »
This Birmingham history is amazing, I've just found you guys, my parents were from Lozells and Aston. Your photos are brilliant, the one of the Aston Cross Tram reminded me of visiting my aunt with my mother and brothers, I seem to remember you could move the seats and sit facing each other. I used to love traveling on those trams.

Pat.
Hi Pat i lived in John St round the corner from the tram depot .as a kid me and my mates used the play on the trams. i remember one of the trams got started and it over turned just outside the depot those where great days always found something to do.

Jays

« Reply #91 on: July 30, 2017, 07:23:00 AM »
PHIL,   PHOTO,S OF CLIFFORD ST,COINCIDENCE!  MY DAD AND ELDEST BROTHER WORKED AT REEVES THEY WERE METAL POLISHERS.MY FIRST JOB WAS HAND PRESS WITH MY MOM AT JARVIS,S (what a dump) IN WILLIAM ST.BOTH APPEAR ON THOSE PICS.

Just joined the forum and my Mother worked at Jarvis's . I went to school in Albert Road and would walk to William street every lunch time to have lunch with my Mum in the canteen. I got spoiled by some if the workers so well worth the walk there and back every day. We lived in Park Lane.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #92 on: July 30, 2017, 12:19:40 PM »
Hi Jays

Welcome to the forum, what part of Park Lane did you live, as there are quite a few photos of Park Lane scattered around the forum. If you can't find one local to where you lived let me know and I will see if I can find you one, or if there is anywhere or anything else just ask and I'm sure someone on the forum will be able to help with either memories or a photo.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Jays

« Reply #93 on: July 30, 2017, 05:28:00 PM »
Hi Jays

Welcome to the forum, what part of Park Lane did you live, as there are quite a few photos of Park Lane scattered around the forum. If you can't find one local to where you lived let me know and I will see if I can find you one, or if there is anywhere or anything else just ask and I'm sure someone on the forum will be able to help with either memories or a photo.

Thank you Phil. I lived practically opposite the Black Horse.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #94 on: July 30, 2017, 07:18:09 PM »
Jays

Well here is a photo of the Black Horse, and you should be able to see the houses opposite the pub in the photo taken from outside the Shareholders Arms on the corner of Potters Lane. I will keep, looking for a better one of the houses.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Jays

« Reply #95 on: July 30, 2017, 07:48:13 PM »
Jays

Well here is a photo of the Black Horse, and you should be able to see the houses opposite the pub in the photo taken from outside the Shareholders Arms on the corner of Potters Lane. I will keep, looking for a better one of the houses.

Thank you, I have the second photograph plus two taken outside the Black Horse on the Queens Coronation Day. I am on both photographs which was quite a surprise when I found them on-line.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #96 on: July 30, 2017, 08:30:41 PM »
Jays

I don't think you would be on this one ;D
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #97 on: July 30, 2017, 08:50:20 PM »
Jays

Your house has to be pretty close to these two shops, I think this is as near as I'll get. It's not finding the photos as I have them anyway, it's trying to match them us with houses and these old photos rarely give house numbers and anyway I don't know yours, but these houses were opposite the Black Horse.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Scipio

« Reply #98 on: July 30, 2017, 09:14:38 PM »

The good old Shareholders Arms ,I used that pub for many years . We moved into Selston Rd which was just off Park Lane in 1976 , Ken Turner was the gaffer in those days , good old days

Regards John
If voting made any difference , they wouldn't let us do it.
Mark Twain

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy