Author Topic: Aston, Newtown & Witton.  (Read 51434 times)

Phil

• Account Closed
Aston, Newtown & Witton.
« on: August 26, 2009, 08:13:53 PM »
Chas35

Here as I promised my first photo of Aston. I think it only proper that it should be another one of Alma Street. This one is of the street celebration of the Coronation of the young Princess Elizabeth in 1953. Look close you may be there.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

rob

Re: Aston, Newtown & Witton.
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2009, 09:25:01 AM »
My dad was born in Guilford Street , im not sure whether that came under Aston or possibly Lozells. He went to Gower Street school which unusually had the playground on the roof.

chas35

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2009, 05:36:56 PM »
Thanks for that Phil, no I am not there but can see our house it is on the left by the last car down the bottom just past what looks like shop frontage, fancy bragging abut that!!  and if I look very close can just about see the entry.  We held the celebrations I think in New Street, with mom and dads friends.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2009, 08:41:50 PM »
Rob

Gower Street school wasn't unusual having its playground on the roof. I think there were several. The one that springs to mind most readily was the Technical School in Sparkhill on the corner of Newton Rd and Stratford Rd. If I remember correctly it was next door to Woolworths.

Is your dad still with us, if so he might like to see this photo of Guilford Rd. I think it was Lozells but there again I always get my districts mixed up.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

rob

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2009, 11:00:43 PM »
Phil
       Thanks for that , my Nan lived there till the 60s so i walked that road many times to see here. Rob

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2009, 02:18:35 PM »
A few more happy reminders of Aston for you ex residents. The first two are photos of Park Road. The third one is of a place I'm sure most of us remember. Even those of us who didn't live in Aston. Its the Onion Fair at The Serpentine Grounds.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

chas35

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2009, 07:35:35 PM »
Yes I remember the onion fair, altho I did not like fairs much they used to frighten me - scaredy cats, altho I loved the waltzers

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2009, 12:21:13 PM »
Its hard to believe that these two images are of the same place. One is a drawing of the tollgate & house at six ways Aston c1850. The other is a photo take in 1949 of the same site. Even for 99 years its a big difference.

I think I preferred it in 1850.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

chas35

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2009, 09:40:02 PM »
Wow Phil never knew six ways ever looked like that, the other one I remember I was born there in 1944, really good pictures, wonder who lived in those houses in the earlier one., thanks.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2009, 09:49:34 PM »
Chas

I would imagine the smaller of the two houses was occupied by the toll gate keeper. It looks as if he would have been a busy man as there looks like there were two toll gates.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

sandrac

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2009, 07:50:04 PM »
I started  life at 12 Mansfield Rd Aston,it had an attic and cellar, 2 bedrooms 2 living rooms and the back kitchen, no running hot water and coal fires.The toilet was outside in the back garden warmed up in winter by a little paraffin heater to stop the pipes freezing.We had squares of cut up newspaper hanging on a hook on the door to use if there was no Izal paper left. at night we had the guzzunder and god help ya if you did anything other than a wee! My Nan and Grandad were Jim and Lil Carpenter their daughters Betty, Pat and Maureen were all brought up there.
My grandsons love to listen to stories of my happy childhood and are incredulous to hear that we had a bath in a tin bath in front of the fire, children first then the women and lastly the men, all in the same water. We girls had to get dressed behind the sofa to preserve our modesty. Remember the Boys Brigade Band marching down the road on Sundays, the coalman, the milkman and the chimmney sweep all plying their trades. The corner shops, the outdoor and the bookies  A lost world!! Summer days shelling peas in the garden, running up the entry and playing in the mud .Sunday school and nursery where we each had a little camp bed for an afternoon nap. Saturday at the ABC Minors watching Lawrence of Arabia. Could talk about those days forever , the boys always say "but Nanny you're not a Victorian"

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy