Author Topic: down your way hands worth perry Barr hampstead grate Barr witton  (Read 27998 times)

roy one

• Global Moderator
 are you from this side of b/ham and what memories  have you of work shops parks and folk that you remember 

g.e.c witton   tucker eyelets perrybarr  the dog track  fox and Chile's  packing case makers(coffins)
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

Biddy

Re: down your way hands worth perry Barr hampstead grate Barr witton
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2009, 03:17:54 PM »
Yes, I remember this area well. Worked at I.C.I (Imperial Chemical Industries) in Witton. A very large factory making bullets, to paint, to Lightning Zip Fasteners! Also worked at Joseph Harris Dyers & Cleaners on Aldridge Road, Aston, near Birchfield Harriers grounds, for several years; used to cycle there from my home on Birchfield  Road back in the 1950's.  Used to catch bus to school at Great Barr High School on Walsall Rd so went passed Tucker Eyelet and Dog racing track every day. My father went most weeks to "bet on the dogs". Happy memories of going to Birchfield Picture House (now demolished) and also going to Birchfield Library, Perry Barr for books. It also had a dance hall at the rear with a sprung wooden floor for dancing.  My parents met there at a dance in the 1920's, so did my aunt and uncle. Just recently demolished after much debate to save it. Does anyone know what has replaced the library?

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2009, 04:13:27 PM »
Hi Biddy

Welcome to the forum, I'm afraid that I know very little about your neck of the woods, but don't let that put you off there are others on here that do.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Biddy

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2009, 12:49:19 AM »
Hi Phil,
Thanks for reply. I have been viewing some of your wonderful photographs on other topics and wondered if you had any of Parry Barr or Witton especially the shops. I think Harris Dyers & Cleaners building is still there, but not sure if they still have stores. Back in the 1950's they had over 70 stores throughout Birmingham. I worked in the complaints department where we dealt with angry customers looking for their only suit that had been lost, or a dress that had disintergrated during the dyeing  process! Mainly people were very happy with the sevice   O0. Did you publish any of your photographs in a book?
Biddy

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2009, 10:07:20 AM »
Hi Biddy

I will see what photos I can sort out of Handsworth & Witton, no I have never published a book with any photos. Although I try to collect photos that are not copyrighted there is always the possibilty that there might be one or two copyrighted ones among the photos that I have and that would only lead to difficulties. At the moment if I post a copyrighted photo in error I can always remove it or get it removed if asked to.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2009, 10:34:44 AM »
hi biddy and welcome
                                    for a short time i lived in hands worth wood road  16 bus rout and  thats by handsworth park this is going back 55 years  the number 11 bus used to take me to eardington via perrybarr witton stockland green  that bus went by g.e.c higgs motors by the river then up to five ways i was with a small firm  that did contract work so we went from place to place but it was a long time ago and a bit of mist is getting in the eyes and the brain and they do not make bright bulbs any more

Biddy

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2009, 03:01:16 PM »
Hi Roy Ben,
Had some wonderful fun in Handsworth Park, the tennis courts (grass courts in those days) and rowing on the lake with my mother. St Marys Church next to the park is full of Brum history, with chapel dedicated to and containing a large statue of the great Matthew Boulton. The churchyard contains burial site and headstone of my grandfather and family whom I never met. The cemetery and grounds were in disrepair for years but just received govt money for upkeep, also of park grounds, which is just wonderful when I visited two years ago. That was a great area to live in. Do you remember the Handsworth Flower Show and fireworks held in the park every year? Sadly this event does not appear to happen now. I too was born in Loveday St as was my eldest son. I suppose for a Brummie this is like being born within the sound of Bow Bells for a Londoner! I remember the No.11 bus well, as a child would travel on it all round Brum for a single fare as it was a circle route. Sat upstairs with my friends in the front seat of course to see everything! Our parents never seemd to worry about where we were going or what we were doing in those days as no harm was going to come to us. The bus conductor would make sure we behaved ourselves!  
Biddy  

Biddy

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2009, 03:12:47 PM »
Hi Phil,
Reason I asked about a book, I have one somewhere that an Aunt gave me years ago containing pictures of some shops in Brum. I would love to see some [pictures of the old shops in Newtown Row, Birchfield and Heathfield Road, also Lozells Road which was a mecca for my Mom and I to walk down. During the wartime she would have me "stand in line" for her and keep her place at the greengrocers for oranges or tomatoes etc. that might come in and then she would arrive later. Same for the butchers and grocers for eggs. bacon etc. There was always excitement if the sweetshop got some chocolates in to sell!
Biddy

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2009, 04:14:59 PM »
Hi Biddy

Make a start with these three of Lozells Rd,  they are from different time periods but it's only in recent years that it has begun to change in appearance.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2009, 04:26:15 PM »
hi biddy
               handsworth park yes i remember it well us lads used to meet at the swings and the girls used come to watch us play football thats what they said some times on my own i would go to the bridge behind that church and see the steam trains passing my first job on leaving school was a villa cross pains shoe repairs i used to go in the milk bar at villa cross and play the juke box in them days villa cross was a hive of shops even has a picture house villacross and i used to go up the soho road some times to a cafe and play on the pinball (5 in a line) good time with me Winkle piker shoes and my ice blue jeans

Forth

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2009, 08:43:37 PM »
Worked at Amal (part of I C I ) for a bit.They made carburettors for motor bikes,also had relations working at Lightenig Fasteners and in canteen.Used to walk up Halford Drive and wait for bus to Kingstanding outside Harris,s the cleaners.Was it Brooks Saddles on corner of Holford Drive facing Harriss,s.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy