Author Topic: train stations in brum  (Read 56945 times)

roy one

• Global Moderator
train stations in brum
« on: September 11, 2009, 10:12:03 AM »
 have we got any train buffs on this forum who might know  how many train stations did brum have in the 50s

and where did the lines go to from where to where

if you have got any pics of the trains or any thing to do with the railway let us know

did you work on the railways

have you got any storys you can tell us
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

21ASaltley

Re: train stations in brum
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2009, 09:37:03 PM »
Hi,roy ben.I worked on the railway for 48 years.first at Hockley Goods depot from 1958 to 1963,when I went to Saltley Depot.I was there from `63 until I took early retirement in 2006.A great website for Brum area is this one: http://www.warwickshirerailways.com/
You will find a lot of stuff on the Birmingham stations.Hope you will find it useful. I`ll drop in again soon.

Albert.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2009, 11:54:37 AM »
Hi Albert

I think I have looked at this site before when you recommended it. I've just took a look at the Birmingham New Street to Lichfield line. It brings back many happy memories of regular trips to Sutton Park on a Sunday Vauxhall & Duddeston to Sutton Coldfield.

I always thought it was a much better day out before diesel and electrification. After that the day out at Sutton Park seemed to loose some of its attraction.

I read somewhere the other day that Vauxhall Station was the first railway station in Birmingham. You think it would have a plaque somewhere stating that wouldn't you?

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

21ASaltley

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2009, 05:14:17 PM »
Hi,Phil.The original station at Vauxhall was on the then Grand Junction Railway and was closed pre 1841.This info is from a Railway map and gazetteer  I have.I don`t know of any plaque regarding the fact.The terminus was in Curzon Street. http://www.localhistory.scit.wlv.ac.uk/articles/railways/GJR.htm

Albert.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2009, 05:18:22 PM »
Albert

You have me there, all I know is was mentioned in some book I was reading last week. As I read several I am unsure which one it was. I'll have a look and see if I can find which one it was.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

21ASaltley

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2009, 05:20:13 PM »
Phil see link added to the above post.
Albert.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2009, 06:52:46 PM »
3 of the best for Birmingham. A magnificent painting of the famous platform 7 at Snow Hill Station. The the world beating (at that time) glass roof over New St Station. Then probably the most important of the three Birmingham Central Goods Station.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

21ASaltley

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2009, 07:40:36 PM »
Three of the best indeed,Phil.Thanks for these shots.The Central goods one takes me back a bit.I was firing on a steamer,doing a shunt back into Central,when we became lock buffered.I`d just put half a dozen shovelfuls in the firebox,and as we were in the tunnel,you can imagine the sulphurous smoke coming back off the tunnel roof..choking aint the word.
Albert.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2009, 08:26:13 PM »
Albert

I think I have asked this before but have you ever looked at this site.

www.gwra.co.uk

Plenty of memorabilia on there but I suppose you must have collected plenty over the years. It might be worth a look just to see how much its worth. They had some of these on sale the other month.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

21ASaltley

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2009, 10:51:06 AM »
Hi,Phil.Unfortunately I did not forsee the value of items from locomotives etc,and did not have any.I remember  a Rotherham driver telling us that he had been left in his grandads`Will, a nameplate from a steam locomotive from a footballer class.The nameplate and football(caseball/casey) attached was sold for £25000!
Three drivers at Saltley were sacked for taking the nameplates from the last one built,Evening Star.They got their jobs back when the person who fired `em passed away.Below is an example of the plate.The Rotherham driver had "Barnsley"

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2009, 01:50:30 PM »
Albert

Fancy sacking someone for augmenting their pension. They would have only been sent to the scrap yard anyway.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy