Author Topic: train stations in brum  (Read 57073 times)

21ASaltley

Re: train stations in brum
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2009, 11:55:44 AM »
Hello Phil.I only went as far as Rubery on a trip job.The Line was closed past there at that time.It was great to see my old stamping ground of Hockley and the goods depot,and thanks to Mike for them.I started off as a gopher in the offices for a while then as Lorry drivers mate,to several drivers.The one that filled me out was the job that went to Bradfords Bread in almost West Brom,just past the Baggies(Hooray!).I used to go up to the room where the flour was stacked in 56lb bags,well sacks.The steps were other bags of flour.Up I`d go with a bag on each shoulder!I was only 17 ish.Also worked for a while in The Round Yard.opposite the main goods depot,and regularly unloaded ingots of pig iron.It all stood me in good stead for the firing at Saltley a little later.But thats another story that ended in 2006!
albert.

mikejee

« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2009, 12:06:10 PM »
By hockley depot, I take it you mean here
mike

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2009, 12:29:51 PM »
Albert

You would also recognise these two photos, one of Hockley top shed and another of Hockley Station.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

21ASaltley

« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2009, 04:30:33 PM »
Phil,the shed picture is probably at the end where the Goods Agents office was.His name was Mr JS Potts.There used to be two pull outs each day from the shed,which had sort of draw bridges to be raised for the pull outs.There were Collis trucks about on the decks,carting stuff about like worker bees.The lower picture includes the Round Yard on the "Up" side opposite the station.Happy memories.There used to be accidents withe Whiskey cases that came from a distillery or stockist beneath Snow Hill.A famous brand,name escapes at the moment.cases would be dropped on one corner and cups held up to catch the leaking single malt.Tch Tch.I`ll have a job dropping off tonight thinking about the ...DEWARS! I think :-\.There was road beneath Snow Hill where the whiskey was loaded.That streets name escapes me....

Mikes photograph of the Depot is puzzling me.It looks sort of familiar.There was a top yard where the stables were for the carters` horses,also down towards Snow Hill was the Paper Mill where the rolls were loaded onto trailers for the Newspapers.

mikejee

« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2009, 05:03:21 PM »
Perhaps this is a better, wider angle  view for you to connect with
Mike

mikejee

« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2009, 05:15:37 PM »
Sorry I forgot to attach the picture. A wider angle view of the shed in my previous photo
Mike

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2009, 06:19:44 PM »
Albert

The full title of the photo I posted was the north end of the top shed Hockley. The whisky distillers at the bottom of Snow Hill was John Dewar's they had a duty paid warehouse in Livery St and Great Charles St.

Here is a photo of Snow Hill Parcel Hall, and one of the refreshment rooms on Platform 7. Can you just imagine a rail station tea rooms with that amount of class these days. The only ones that you see that are anything like them are on these rescued lines that are staffed by volunteer's . I never asked but do you do anything like that or have you had enough.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

21ASaltley

« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2009, 06:55:46 PM »
Sorry I forgot to attach the picture. A wider angle view of the shed in my previous photo
Mike

Thanks Mike,thats a great shot.The row of buildings on the right of the photo are the weighbridge and office and the Correspondence office where I lackied for a spell.Then came the two storey buildings that including a canteen on the upper level.I fondly remember the shop across the road at the top end.I would have some tuck and ten Park Drive "On the strap" till payday.The Family who ran the shop were from Reading,and named Head. Just above it was a pub,whose name I forget.There were two chaps who worked there who I think were a famous Brummie name.The dad was Dan Darby,and his son Brian,both rough diamond types.I wish I could remember the name of the pub,had a few in there.One memory is of the pianist asking for a suggestion of a song.I called out "The Rose of Trallee".The pianist asked if I could sing it,me being a Smethwickl lad who`s only Irish connection was a family from Smethwick,the O`Briens three of whom worked at Saltley.I offered only the title of the song.I`m babbling on here...sorry folks.

21ASaltley

« Reply #30 on: September 23, 2009, 07:07:26 PM »
Phil,that shot of the parcel Hall is a new one for my eyes.It has brought a memory back though.When I was a drivers mate at Hockley,I mated an old character on our rounds around the City.One drop was a Tobbaconist wholesaler Singleton and Cole off Temple row somewhere.If our load was more than twenty boxes we would get some free fags.My mate twenty and ten for me.They were always a brand I`d never heard of and weren`t in the shops.They were called Robin cigarettes in a yellow packet with our friend redbreast on the front.I recall that the fakes burnt like touch paper when you lit them :) :)

The restuarant photograph is pure Great Western,and as you say there can only be the preservation folk who can recreate these scenes.I have visited the SVR a few times,but have never fancies volunteering.My 48 years service did me. ;)

mikejee

« Reply #31 on: September 23, 2009, 07:46:32 PM »
Would the pub you used to go to be the Goldsmiths & Jewellers Arms? that woulld be in about the position youn describe
Mike

21ASaltley

« Reply #32 on: September 23, 2009, 08:42:42 PM »
Mike.I`ve just been on Google Earth and the pub would have been on the corner(I think, it`s been 47 years) Pitsford Street and Clissold Street if that is of any help.Desperation state now. :(
Albert.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy