Author Topic: train stations in brum  (Read 56955 times)

JudithM

Re: train stations in brum
« Reply #187 on: December 04, 2018, 01:26:42 PM »
I didn't want to start a new thread, so I have revived this one!

I have seen in the news recently that they are planning to re-open Kings Heath & Moseley stations (both shut since the 1940's, and today I have seen something about possibly Aldridge too (closed in 1965).  It was only a small sideline on the BBC site & I've done a search but can't find out any more at the moment (although I know there has been a campaign for a while).

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-england-birmingham-46399166?ns_mchannel=social&ns_source=twitter&ns_campaign=bbc_live&ns_linkname=5c054d5bd3f33d06651736da%26Railway%20station%20plans%20on%20track%262018-12-03T16%3A20%3A33.321Z&ns_fee=0&pinned_post_locator=urn:asset:03f81265-ebfa-4f00-a216-b6d4f1db60df&pinned_post_asset_id=5c054d5bd3f33d06651736da&pinned_post_type=share

So, it looks like we could have some more stations back.
"I know tomorrow's gonna taste like cake"

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #188 on: December 04, 2018, 01:45:01 PM »

has it used to look in its day about to reopen 

each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

JudithM

« Reply #189 on: December 05, 2018, 01:25:32 PM »
has it used to look in its day about to reopen 

I don't suppose it'll look much like that if & when it does reopen  ::)

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #190 on: December 05, 2018, 03:23:58 PM »
The way the railways are run today about 10 years.And then they would have to close the line at weekends like where I live.
Make every day a day to remember
Because this ain't no rehearsal
And you ain't coming back

JudithM

« Reply #191 on: December 06, 2018, 01:01:22 PM »
The way the railways are run today about 10 years.And then they would have to close the line at weekends like where I live.
Frustrating.

I've heard of lines that only run a couple trains each morning & evening during rush hour times, so you're stuck if you want to travel at other times & don't have an alternate means of transport. It's a catch 22 situation I suppose - they say they can't run the trains because not enough people use them, but people don't use them because there aren't the trains at the times they want them ::)

Inner city train routes would be given a boost right now as the sheer volume of traffic into & out of Birmingham during rush hour (as well as the ever present road works) makes any alternative to road travel attractive - especially if it'll cost less than fuel & parking.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #192 on: December 06, 2018, 02:36:37 PM »
Frustrating.

I've heard of lines that only run a couple trains each morning & evening during rush hour times, so you're stuck if you want to travel at other times & don't have an alternate means of transport. It's a catch 22 situation I suppose - they say they can't run the trains because not enough people use them, but people don't use them because there aren't the trains at the times they want them ::)

Inner city train routes would be given a boost right now as the sheer volume of traffic into & out of Birmingham during rush hour (as well as the ever present road works) makes any alternative to road travel attractive - especially if it'll cost less than fuel & parking.

Judith

Surely some trains in the mornings and evenings are better than no trains at all. No private company is going to run trains for very few passengers. That's why we need nationalised railways where profit is not the be all and end all of everything. Let the well paid and rich subsidise the masses for a change instead of it being the other way around. The only trouble we will have then is getting them to pay their correct taxes.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

JudithM

« Reply #193 on: December 07, 2018, 01:22:47 PM »

Surely some trains in the mornings and evenings are better than no trains at all. No private company is going to run trains for very few passengers. That's why we need nationalised railways where profit is not the be all and end all of everything. Let the well paid and rich subsidise the masses for a change instead of it being the other way around. The only trouble we will have then is getting them to pay their correct taxes.

I agree that some service is better than none.

It would be great if it could all be nationalized again.  Would make things so much simpler. 

townie

« Reply #194 on: December 08, 2018, 06:37:21 PM »
A lot of people say that they would love to see the railways nationalised, but what would happen if the government didn't or wouldn't make the investment that private companies are doing?   
Was it a vision, or a waking dream?

mikejee

« Reply #195 on: December 09, 2018, 11:00:59 AM »
The private companies are not investing in it - the government is. It is the government that invests in th etrack and infrastructure, but the private compoanies that take profits

JudithM

« Reply #196 on: December 10, 2018, 01:08:31 PM »
but the private compoanies that take profits
And charge a squillion different fares depending on who runs the service & what time of day it is...

townie

« Reply #197 on: December 10, 2018, 08:13:27 PM »
It takes more than a bit of track and signalling for a railway to operate.
Was it a vision, or a waking dream?

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy