Author Topic: Can Anyone Help Me With My Next Project?  (Read 13963 times)

stickman

Can Anyone Help Me With My Next Project?
« on: September 20, 2009, 01:15:29 PM »
Hi everyone

I have recently found an interest in writing.  I am wanting to write about my experiences as a child of staying in Bognor at a place called Martineau House Seaside School, Kingsway, Aldwick.  I stayed there I think twice, once in 1983 and again in 1985 but it was demolished either in the late 1980's or early 1990's :(.  I was just wondering if anyone else remembers this house?  And did it replace Craigwell House?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

mikejee

Re: Can Anyone Help Me With My Next Project?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2009, 02:33:27 PM »
Stickman
There are a number of references to the Martineau school in the index to "A Breath of Fresh Air : Birmingham's Open-air Schools, 1911-70.". I don't have the book, so can't say if it gives the information you want. The book "A history of bognor Regis" by Gerard Young is not clear, but says that, when the house was demolished in 1932, the whole estate became ripe for development and was comprehensively redeveloped. While it would seem that the school would have been on the site of the estate, I would have thought that, if the school was on the site of the house then that would have been mentioned. Looking at the online index to the west suusex archives, i was surprised that the only mention of craigwell was a letter from the shippams archives from the king's chef, presumably praising their calves foot jelly, which, I remember from my youth, was always pushed for invalids by the firm
mike

sandrac

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2009, 02:38:25 PM »
Hello stickman, When I was a British Red Cross Cadet in the late 60's we took a group of disabled children to Martineau House in Bognor for a week, I think it was owned by the City Education Department. Wasn't it lovely there. Francis Chichester had just completed his solo round the world yacht trip when we were there. Perhaps someone at Red Cross Headquarters could help you with your research. Good Luck

chas35

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2009, 04:53:11 PM »
Does anyone know of a convalescent home in Malvern I went there in about 1949 ish

Brummiejoy

Can Anyone Help Me With My Next Project?
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2009, 10:39:02 AM »
Chas35,
I was at that convalscent home you are talking about I could see the Malvern hills from my bedroom window.
I will have to email an old relative of mine and ask if she remembers  exactly where it was. O0

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2009, 11:34:07 AM »
Chas35

Could it have been The Hugh Summer Convalescent Home For Children at 141 Worcester Rd Malvern or it annex St Cuthberts Convalescent Home for Children at 177 Worcester Rd. I believe both were connected to The Birmingham Saturday Hospital Fund & Birmingham Children's Hospital.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

stickman

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2009, 12:38:23 PM »
Hi mikejee

I did manage, after much searching on the 'net, to find a map which showed the location of Craigwell House.  It does look as if Martineau House was on the same site.  So the next thing to find out is if Craigwell House was demolished in 1932, when was Martineau House built?  I am interested in buying the books you have mentioned and have found them on Amazon.  I will be placing an order soon. 

chas35

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2009, 09:14:25 PM »
Thanks Brummiejoy and Phil, went to Malvern a couple of years ago looking for the home but no luck,  thanks for pic. Phil it could very well be the one, I think I remember tall windows like that but I was only about 5 or 6 at the time. Thanks again folks.

mumphy

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2009, 06:48:41 PM »
Hi, i also went to the Malvern Open Air School back in the late 1960`s and recently been trying to find out more info about it. It is now being used as an education centre. I`ve have memories  comming back and would like to rekindle more..............can anyone help?

Beryl M

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2009, 11:24:46 PM »
I went to that particular convelesvent home for children for a month - Always thought it was in Malvern Link
Visit my Poetry website at www.poetrydjour.com
Poetry D'Jour book in memory of Beryl McMullen - www.poetrydjour.com/book.php

chas35

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2010, 07:44:37 PM »
Phil Sorry should have been more specific, this should reach you. it's in birmingham history 21st Sept 2009

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy