Author Topic: Can Anyone Help Me With My Next Project?  (Read 13962 times)

stickman

Re: Can Anyone Help Me With My Next Project?
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2014, 12:59:01 PM »
Hello Nikinakinoonoo

My name is Duncan White.  I visited Martineau House in 1983 and 1985 whilst at Victoria School, Northfield.  Had many a good time, it was fantastic.  During my stays there, I remember going to places such as Amberley chalk pits and  Portsmouth.  I also visited the house in 1987 just after the storm hit the south coast.  The Caretaker at the time even showed us inside the house!  In 1990, I decided with my mum and a friend to visit the house again, but sadly, it had been demolished.  I would love to see Carole, Alan, Nikki and Emma again.  May I ask where you live?  In Birmingham?

Nikinakinoonoo

« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2014, 04:07:42 PM »
Hi,
I don't recognise the name, but there were loads of you kids that came thru the school.
I live in bognor still, and as I said am in touch with the steeds and their daughter nikki. Emma lives in Spain I think so don't see her.
I'm sure the steeds would love to hear from people that came to stay so if you send me contact detsils I can pass them on

stickman

« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2014, 08:03:28 PM »
Hi NikinakiNoonoo

I just sent you a personal message containing my email address for you to pass onto Carole and Alan Steed.

stickman

« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2014, 03:48:25 PM »
Is nikinakinoonoo still on this site?

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2014, 04:05:34 PM »
Stickman

nikinnaknoonoo has not visited the site since the end of June this year, but that was after you sent your PM so he should have received it. He is still able to visit the site any time he wishes to.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

stickman

« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2014, 09:04:39 PM »
OK, thanks Phil.

stickman

« Reply #28 on: October 02, 2014, 05:23:51 PM »
That's a shame as I would like to know about the history of Martineau House before it was used as a seaside school.  When was it it built?  Who was it built for?  That kind of information.  Can anyone else help?

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #29 on: October 02, 2014, 06:01:46 PM »
Stickman

Try Here, it gives a little of the history of the homes but does not say much about the previous history of the houses.

http://www.search.connectinghistories.org.uk/engine/resource/default.asp?txtKeywords=martineau+house&lstContext=&lstResourceType=&lstExhibitionType=&chkPurchaseVisible=&txtDateFrom=&txtDateTo=&originator=%2Fengine%2Fsearch%2Fdefault%5Fhndlr%2Easp&page=&records=&direction=&pointer=1440&text=0&resource=1668

This local newspaper mentions Craigweil Lodge being bought and renamed Martineau House by a Birmingham Trust in 1955.

http://www.bognor.co.uk/what-s-on/magazine/aldwick-a-magnet-for-the-wealthy-1-1491084

You might be able to glean some leads from these stories.

Phil died in 2020. RIP.

stickman

« Reply #30 on: October 02, 2014, 06:29:54 PM »
 ;D Thank you very, very much Phil, that is fantastic.

stickman

« Reply #31 on: October 08, 2014, 10:50:17 AM »
Having a great time looking through all the stuff I have on Martineau House (Craigwell Lodge).  Nikinakinoonoo said that he is still in touch with the Steeds, but sadly, hasn't visited this site since June.  Does anyone else know the Steeds?

Carol onley

« Reply #32 on: July 21, 2015, 11:42:29 PM »
Hi it good to read about martineau house my name is Carol I was the housemother under Mr and Mrs Tice and when the Steeds took over, re the history of the house, it was the lodge to craigwell manner where king George recuperated from chest illness. The manor was demolished and craigwell estate was built. Martineau house remained in situ. The flat where the steed lived was the stable yard. Ron suitor was the handyman until the late 70s he grew up in the flat where his dad was the stable hand. Martineau house was purchased by lady martineau who left it for the education of disadvantage and disabled children. At peak 28 special schools in Birmingham used it every school year, it was an amazing place. Accommodating 24 children at a time. Coaches came about 3 on the Monday and left at 10 on the Friday some schools had 2 weeks some had 1 everyone was always happy.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy