Author Topic: brum prefabs  (Read 74334 times)

Brummie58

Re: brum prefabs
« Reply #132 on: November 21, 2015, 03:03:37 PM »
We lived at 67 Ripple Road until 1951 ish. What was the name of your Grandparents my parents were 'Sewell'.

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #133 on: November 22, 2015, 08:30:41 AM »
this post was put up by orgi sent by mistake to the mod reports

Our prefab certainly  wasn't warm in the winter,we would have thick frost INSIDE on the windows & I can remember getting  dress in bed as it was so cold , yes we had a fridge, built  in  cooker & a bath but we were  surrounded with asbestos, we were able to sun bathe on the roof in the summer & we had a garden back  & front.........we had some good  times.
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

Whitehead

« Reply #134 on: December 17, 2015, 03:00:36 PM »
I was born in a prefab at No.14 Brooksby Close situated off Broadstone Road Yardley
Our family consisted of Jimmy, John, Julian, Elizabeth, Carol, Philip, David.

I Remember the following families :-
Partaks,Richard ? Polish family who changed their name to Parks.
Brumwells, John & Peter
Foley, Peter
Broughtons,Michael & Derrick.Mrs Broughtons ran the local Cubs.
Haycocks, Val, John,Pat (John suffered from asthma ) Mr Haycock worked at the Good Companions pub.
They moved to Hall Green.
Barrows, Rita ?
Gauntlet, no children,they looked after one of our sisters when our mother was ill.
It took some persuading to return our sister when our mother was well again.
Martin, Tony + a younger brother
Morrisons, Rita
Walkers, one son.
Downs, Hazel (married a well known politician & I believe lives in Jersey.)
Bicks, Hazel plus 2 brothers. They moved to Kelymead road some years before the prefabs were demolished. A Mrs Edwards and 2 sons replaced them.
Mrs Martin, an old lady who our mother cooked dinner for,it was our job to deliver the dinner.
There were more but I cannot remember their names.

Brooksby Close prefabs were located between Broadstone Rd & Parkinson Cowan sports field.
We were one of the last families to be rehoused.
The year was approx.1965.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #135 on: December 17, 2015, 03:49:20 PM »
Hi Whitehead

Welcome to you, myself this is the first time I have ever heard of these prefabs, but there again its not my side of town. I'm sure there will be someone on here who remembers them.

Phil died in 2020. RIP.

townie

« Reply #136 on: December 17, 2015, 04:25:36 PM »
Hi Whitehead I was born in Fontley close which was also off Broadstone Road Yardley, but I cant remember any prefabs. The only place I can think they might have been, would be between Fontley close and the shops opposite the fields. What year are you talking about?
Was it a vision, or a waking dream?

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #137 on: December 17, 2015, 06:07:28 PM »
Whitehead

Looking at the old maps, I see that Brooksby Close was replaced by Ferndown Close when they built new housing there. Like all prefabs they would have been built shortly after the end of WWII which is when I suppose your family moved in. The maps show that the prefabs disappeared sometime between 1966 & 1970 was that when you moved out?
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Whitehead

« Reply #138 on: December 17, 2015, 08:45:24 PM »
We were one of the last families to be rehoused, the year was about 1965.
The location was between Broadstone Road & Parkinson Cowan sports field.
The land that the prefabs were built on was part of the sports field.
Not only did we have a large garden but also had access to the Parkinson & Cowan field.
There were regular Cricket & football matches to watch.
The members tolerated us as long as we did not misbehave.

gary_m_walton

« Reply #139 on: December 17, 2015, 10:26:58 PM »
I never owned one but spent a lot of time in them. I had two friends who lived right by Tile Cross Primary School where there were a lot of prefabs. I think they were Robert 'Socky' Shaw and Gary Lynas. I enjoyed being around prefabs as a kid but, as an adult, I doubt if I would like them now. Nice memories, though.
Now, where did I put my time machine ....

townie

« Reply #140 on: December 18, 2015, 07:12:06 PM »
Whitehead I can remember looking from my grans back garden and seeing the playing field even going to watch some sports up there but just cant remember the prefabs. Did you go Whittington Oval? 
Was it a vision, or a waking dream?

Coastal

« Reply #141 on: December 18, 2015, 08:58:33 PM »
The only ones I can remember were down Monyhull Hall Rd, K Norton, Weoley Castle Square, on the island (my nan & grandad lived in Jervoise Rd) and last time I went down there, Wake Green Road, K Heath, they were still standing,
Do unto others before they do unto you.

Whitehead

« Reply #142 on: December 19, 2015, 09:05:52 AM »
I went to Whittington Oval Infants & Junior schools. My brother & l would help prepare the cricket wicket in the summer, our reward was a bottle of lemonade.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy