Author Topic: brum prefabs  (Read 74088 times)

roy one

• Global Moderator
brum prefabs
« on: October 07, 2009, 08:12:17 PM »
round about the end of the second world war brum was short of home for folk to live i some had been bombed out and becouse of bomb damage the house was not safe to live in so brum found the answer it would put up temporary homes that could be put together with in a few days and cheep to build some had three bed rooms and some had two but the thing that stood out most was they had a bathroom and a fridge and at that time most had not seen a built in fridge or a built in cooker most had a garden back and front but the best thing was they where worm in the winter and snug

most folk that moved in to the prefabs was told it was just for a short time and then they would be rehoused short time meant 40 years or more they become part of brum you could see little prefab estates all over brum we still have one or two around but not Meany when it come to be rehoused most folk said no we love our prefabs its our home its our way of life we all know each other we have been hear for years but sadly the council got its own way and moved the folk on and pulled down the prefabs and

did you live in a prefab or have you been in one and would you live in one today if you had the chance
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

frederick

Re: brum prefabs
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2009, 09:17:39 PM »
a friend of mine in town was born in a prefab and it was just over the road from were my place is built they have all go some 25 to 30 years ago and new houses built and green areas.
Failure to Prepare is to Prepare to Fail

Andy Capp

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2009, 09:32:44 PM »
HI ALL
I CAN REMEMBER THE PREFABS BEING BUILT ON THE EDGE OF CALTHORPE PARK IN CHEDDAR ROAD IN THE LATE 1940S. ANDY CAPP

denise

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2009, 09:39:16 PM »
I think we have done a thread about this before.I have a friend who lives in one on the wake green. :)

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2009, 09:40:17 PM »
nice picture andy  roy

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2009, 09:51:57 PM »
hi denise your right about prefabs but its not got its own thread prefabs have been mentioned in other post and one or two pictures have been put up but i think its time for its own thread becouse its part of brum history

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2009, 09:56:01 PM »
i remember some at kings norton  Farlay crescent just up from the green and also yardlywood by trittiford park

Andy Capp

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2009, 09:56:31 PM »
HI ALL
WITH THE SHORTAGE OF HOUSES YOU WOULD THINK THEY WOULD BE BUILDING PREFABS AS A POSSIBLE ANSWER TO IT. THE ONES BUILD IN THE 1940S HAVE LASTED OVER 60 YEARS WITH MODERN METHODS I SHOULD IMAGINE THEY WOULD BE MUCH CHEAPER & BETTER THAN THE CONVENTIONAL HOUSES. ANDY CAPP

Andy Capp

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2009, 10:03:54 PM »
HI ALL
I THINK WE HAD RELATIVES LIVING IN A PREFAB IN DOGPOOL LANE STIRCHEY. ANDY CAPP

john2000

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2009, 12:23:07 AM »
HI ALL
WITH THE SHORTAGE OF HOUSES YOU WOULD THINK THEY WOULD BE BUILDING PREFABS AS A POSSIBLE ANSWER TO IT. THE ONES BUILD IN THE 1940S HAVE LASTED OVER 60 YEARS WITH MODERN METHODS I SHOULD IMAGINE THEY WOULD BE MUCH CHEAPER & BETTER THAN THE CONVENTIONAL HOUSES. ANDY CAPP

Andy, I've worked in many countries building prefab homes, and I find the ones from the states are great, low cost housing, good insulation, and there are some, even I would like to live in, the best and the fastest system is they build the frame first, then put the roof on, then the brickes start the outside skin, while the other trades start on the insides, and very soon you have a house you can live in,
Even Brad Pitt, has started a company building some prefab houses, to help the people in New Orleans who lost their homes some years ago,and they are modern and well designed too, the cost of a prefab is much lower than a standard built house,  J2

Now if you want a beautiful perfab home, look up Huf homes, on the net and you will see what I mean
Growing old is mandatory..........Growing up is optional

9teen48

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2009, 02:04:15 PM »
Hi All,

The first prefabs I saw were on a plot of land in King's Heath at the junction of School Road and Ashfield Road.  My Uncle Harry's first home was in one of these, the attached photo shows him with his wife Valda and my cousin Ken in 1947.  I also remember the prefabs at Fairlie Crescent, off Rednal Road, and at the edge of King's Norton Park in Westhill Road, the edge of Swanshurst Park in Brook Lane, Billesley and on West Heath Road near Turves Green.
Brian

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy