Author Topic: brum prefabs  (Read 74092 times)

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: brum prefabs
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2009, 03:23:51 PM »
Although it has been mentioned before I think the fact that the only prefabs we have left in Birmingham are those few on Wake Green Rd, Hall Green is worth another mention. Am I right in thinking they were recently given listed buildings status.

It is a certain fact that prefabricated buidings of all sotrs were peppered all over Birmingham just after the war and that they provided much needed housing after the bombings.

Heres one on Wake Green Rd and some more on Queens Rd Yardley.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

denise

« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2009, 09:29:27 PM »
My mate who lives in one on the wake Green has been made redundant.I reckon he should open up daily for people to have a tour.Paying of course.

LOL ;D

9teen48

« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2009, 10:27:31 PM »
Here is a shot of the prefabs on Brook Lane, opposite Effingham Road, Billesley.
Brian

G1ULZ

« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2009, 05:06:19 PM »
Here is a shot of the prefabs on Brook Lane, opposite Effingham Road, Billesley.
Brian
I  lived  on  Yardley  Wood  Road  near  Swanhurst  Park  in  a  pre - fab (  1946 )  after  being  bombed  out  in  Sparkhill  1941.
Work  and  Family  History. Items  that  run 0n  rubber  or  steel.

9teen48

« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2009, 11:14:26 PM »
Were they just down the Yardley Wood Road from the roundabout at Swanshurst Lane ?  I remember the steam rollers parked down there.
Brian

G1ULZ

« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2009, 10:34:28 AM »
Were they just down the Yardley Wood Road from the roundabout at Swanshurst Lane ?  I remember the steam rollers parked down there.
Brian

Ours  was  the  forth  down  from  the  Swanhurst  Park  end  on  the  left  looking  towards  the  Island,  this  is  now  open  space  according  to  Google.
Work  and  Family  History. Items  that  run 0n  rubber  or  steel.

sandrac

« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2009, 06:05:38 PM »
there were prefabs in court lane erdington opposite our house and in front of the park
our school gardener lived in one with his mom and would sometimes give me a lift to school in his little red bubble car
the prefab was warm and snug and his mom always wore a pinny and made lovely fairy cakes
there was a whole estate of them not far away where our home help lived she walked to our house every morning to get us off to school after mom had her 6th baby  we called her aunty nan

robx52

« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2009, 08:40:58 PM »
I lived in a prefab in Common lane in the 60s. People were amazed by the fact that they had gas fridges.

brenden

« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2009, 02:31:47 PM »
                          Sandra you mentioned the pre-fabs in court lane, do you remember the ones running along the side of pype hayes nearest the chester road?? and if so when were they demolished??. Am i correct in saying most pre-fabs were built close to park or green land which most building developments today seem to be destroying.

sandrac

« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2009, 09:43:59 PM »
brenden
yes i remember the pype hayes ones i think they were still there late 1960's they always seemed to be near park land always reminded me of holiday homes were they made of asbestos

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2009, 10:12:59 PM »
robX52

Was it one of these prefabs on Common Lane, Sheldon?

Phil

Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy