Author Topic: brum prefabs  (Read 74094 times)

robx52

Re: brum prefabs
« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2009, 10:46:07 PM »
Yes it was phil the 2nd one. I have seen that photo before, but i cant remember its title.
It has some good pics of sheldon.

zak14

« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2009, 07:28:03 PM »
Does anyone have any memories of the Prefabs around Hurstwood and Maxstead road off Colledge Road ?. My Mom and Dad lived in one on Hurstwood Road before I was born, then they moved into a semi just up the road in Watney Grove where I was born.

Dad said they were great homes and he never wanted to leave !. They only went because they kept saying they were going to knock them down and they thought they would end up in a block of high rise flats. Mom and Dad moved to the house in Watney Grove in 1957, and the Prefabs were still there when I learnt to drive at 17 ! which was 1976 !.

kelama

« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2009, 08:48:20 PM »
Hi Zak
Had a lot of mates that lived in the prefabs on Maxted, used to hang out and play footie in the cornfields....wasn't there a lot of asbestos used in their construction?

zak14

« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2009, 03:36:59 AM »
Hi Kelama,

You might be right about the asbestos but if their was it never seemed to do my Dad any harm, he died last year only 5 weeks short of his 90th birthday  O0

I remember the Cornfields as you call them, think it was a Farm, but of course it is the New Oscott Estate now and the fields have all gone.

My paper round used to be Hurstwood and Maxted Roads, the Prefabs were occupied by mostly old people and it was a;lways very quiet and peacefull around there.    

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2009, 10:13:31 AM »
Most of the pre-fabs were constructed using asbestos. Its ok though because it wasn't dangerous at that time. It was only later when those in the know decided to tell us it was dangerous that it became a risk to our health. Before then they were perfectly safe.

Even when it was admitted that asbestos was a danger to health, we were told that the type of asbestos that prefabs were made of (board & sheet type)wasn't a danger. We were told this because there was so much of it about, it was very much used and evident everywhere.

Eventually they came clean and told us that while left untouched it was reasonably safe. But if you broke it, drilled it, sawed it, or caused it to make a dust in any way you were at risk. It wasn't for many years after the first revelations concerning asbestos that we were told this. Thus condemning many more to die horribly of Asbestosis. Two relations of mine who worked in demolition all their lives died in their late forties and early fifties of cancer which I put down directly to asbestos.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

G1ULZ

« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2010, 10:56:38 AM »
Ours  was  the  forth  down  from  the  Swanhurst  Park  end  on  the  left  looking  towards  the  Island,  this  is  now  open  space  according  to  Google.
    Added  a  Picture  of  our  Pre - Fab.
Work  and  Family  History. Items  that  run 0n  rubber  or  steel.

annecrofts

« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2010, 09:07:13 PM »
my gran lived in a prefab for years, they were off cartland road stirchley, i cant remember name of road, i just remember it being a very long walk along cartland road, from selly park girls school.

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2010, 09:31:14 PM »
hi Ann  i think it would be pineapple road on the pineapple estate
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

annecrofts

« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2010, 12:12:56 PM »
thanks for that royben,  i didnt know if it was river brook drive, off cartland road, we never went back there after leaving school ,so dont know when they were pulled down,or where gran moved to after that, dads mom didnt have a lot to do with our side of the family, so a lot of history lost, shame.

G1ULZ

« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2010, 12:36:53 PM »
    Added  a  Picture  of  our  Pre - Fab.

A  Daimler CVG6s  with  a  Crossley  body  passing  my  old  home.

http://i968.photobucket.com/albums/ae168/G1ULZ/TuesdayFebruary162010.jpg
Work  and  Family  History. Items  that  run 0n  rubber  or  steel.

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: February 17, 2010, 12:47:00 PM »
hi Ann  now i do remember some prefabs just behind the cinema that might be the ones your on about  they went in the late 70s I'm down that way in a few weeks so ill try and find out for you if I'm OK  Roy
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy