Author Topic: loveday street maternity hospital  (Read 99725 times)

Joxer

Re: loveday street maternity hospital
« Reply #220 on: March 07, 2020, 03:22:19 AM »
Hi !
I was born in Loveday Street hospital on May 2nd 1962. My family left England 1969. But my eldest brother returned there today! He has been sending photos and I’ve been looking at archive photos of dear old Brum from my home in the dear ol US of A. I lost my Brummie accent to a Dublin accent!... At least not to an American one!

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #221 on: March 07, 2020, 08:21:34 AM »
hi  joxer 

welcome to the forum  well its true what they say   you can take the kid out of brum but you will never take brum out of the kid
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

[email protected]

« Reply #222 on: January 29, 2021, 01:22:06 PM »
Hello all
I was a pupil midwife in the late 50's at Loveday street Maternity

On the photographs which someone has posted the Salvation Army Hostel was first on the right

Next was the nurses home    and then the hospital

The curved building at the end was  for staff too

The hospital was for abnormal or problem births

It wasn't an iron lung that that baby was in       it was an incubator with piped oxygen

The nurses home was directly opposite the theatre window (bay window) of the General Hospital as it was then

Its  now the Children's Hospital

Happy times there and also at Tamworth Hospital ,Dudley Road Hospital  and Good Hope before delivering

babies at home in Nuneaton  for some years  amongst other duties

It is possible for next of kin to obtain a stillbirth Cerificate from the General Register Office at Southport  price about £11

tca

« Reply #223 on: February 14, 2021, 10:44:32 AM »
I was born there Christmas 1947

tca

« Reply #224 on: February 14, 2021, 11:02:43 AM »
I just had a look at my birth certificate, it states 28 loveday street so I guess 28 is correct as per previous posts

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #225 on: February 14, 2021, 11:19:08 AM »
I just had a look at my birth certificate, it states 28 loveday street so I guess 28 is correct as per previous posts

it should also say in the district of  Colmore
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

MiJo

« Reply #226 on: May 03, 2021, 01:57:41 AM »
I was born there 31/01/1963 during one of the worst winters in British history. I know it was a hospital for difficult births, but I think it was the weather that dictated the choice.

Bata

« Reply #227 on: May 20, 2021, 01:28:00 AM »
Hello, Just thought that I'd say that I was born in Loveday Street maternity March 1937. Still going strong at 84. Keep safe.

Yam yam

« Reply #228 on: June 29, 2021, 11:13:46 PM »
Hi all I was born In Loveday Street 1966 I’m from the Blackcountry but I always remember my mom saying , Come on mom let’s see if Baby as perished 54 years later still waiting . My claim to fame by birth I’m probably more of a Brummie than most Brummies  ;D
Oh and everyone stay safe  O0

Darthdc

« Reply #229 on: July 06, 2021, 02:45:51 PM »
My one paternal aunt was born at Loveday St in 1922. No idea whether any of my dad's other older siblings were born there - most were born at home (which was New Summer St at the time). They were packed off to Tyseley in 1939, with my nan expecting twins. She had 11 in total, with 8 in Newtown (3 died in infancy) and 3 in Tyseley - my dad being the last in 1942.

Phillysue

« Reply #230 on: July 25, 2021, 10:45:55 PM »
Hello.
I've just joined and found this thread.  I was born in Loveday Street Hospital on July 23rd 1950. I lived in a house at Church Street Moseley until I was nearly 9, then moved to Wiltshire.  I now live in South Wales.
I was never told my mother had a difficult birth with me, maybe it was just never talked about. Both my siblings were born at home. My maternal grandmother outlived my mother, both were born in Birmingham.
Philippa née Dobbins

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy