Author Topic: loveday street maternity hospital  (Read 99736 times)

denise

Re: loveday street maternity hospital
« Reply #55 on: October 06, 2009, 01:40:07 PM »
Welcome to the forum cal   :)

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #56 on: October 06, 2009, 01:41:38 PM »
Hi Cal

Welcome to the forum its always a pleasure to welcome a new member but its a double pleasure to welcome another awkward baby that was born at Loveday St.

Long swallowed up by the Queensway I have marked the approximate location on my may with a purple X.

If you look back through this thread and others you will find photos of the Maternity Hospital.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

cal

« Reply #57 on: October 06, 2009, 03:07:00 PM »
Thanks for the welcome! Great to find the first photographs I've seen too.

I've scanned the map that Archives photocopied for me because it has some great detail (I hope that doesn't get me into copyright issues!), but it's a huge file (3.4M) so I've posted it using Picasa, I didn't know if the full A4 version would lose too much detail so I've also added a cropped version (600K or so) as well.

FULL: http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/6nV3Oci1E0wTQbuASO_mBQ?feat=directlink
CROP: http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/6rAxUfbcqa0JuGcfe5fdTA?feat=directlink

Having found it on the map I've tried searching on-line for photo's of St Mary's Garden in the hope that the hospital would be in the background, but without any luck! Has anyone any idea when the garden was built on? I'm assuming it was at the same sort of time that the Queensway was put through.

The amount of engineering works, particularly gun works around the area at the time is amazing to see mapped, a real hive of industry.

Cheers,
Cal

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #58 on: October 06, 2009, 05:12:01 PM »
Hi Cal

Loveday street was in the heart of what was known as the Gun Quarter. It was centred on St Mary's Church (of St Mary's Gardens) I suppose. The Church was demolished in the 20's but the burials did not get cleared until the 50's. I suppose this is when the gardens went. I suppose they were cleared for the building of the Dental Hospital which also stood in Loveday St.

It's interesting to note that in the 1820 there were several thousand people employed in the area by the Gun Trade. Decidedly more than there is today.

Another photo of the Maternity Hospital and one of St Mary's for you.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

cal

« Reply #59 on: October 06, 2009, 05:37:05 PM »
Thanks Phil,

That makes sense; the church was just off the edge of the map I had copied, but I can see it on the one in your earlier post.

Great photo of the hospital, that's the best I've seen so far.

Shame they replaced so much character with so much concrete!

Cal

dudieezper

« Reply #60 on: January 18, 2010, 03:36:29 PM »
Maybe you just have to search some information on the local museum on the place. The medical hospital might have some information on the museum. You just need to search some little time on the museum.

Brummiejoy

loveday street maternity hospital
« Reply #61 on: January 23, 2010, 10:41:03 AM »
Only the best Brummies were born in Loveday St hospital especialy the 1947 vintage like me. O0  They tell me it was a good year for wine as well! Also one of the coldest with heavy falls of snow.
Thought I would share this special photo of the exact room where I was born as I am sure many of you were born on that same table too.
Joy

denise

« Reply #62 on: January 23, 2010, 10:43:37 AM »
eeek looks like a torture room  LOL  ;D

Us Sorrento kids were pretty special too  :)

jaykay

« Reply #63 on: January 23, 2010, 11:10:38 AM »
I was born in Loveday Street, on 23/11/1940, at the height of the bombing, and evacuated ! to Pype Hayes Hall a couple of days later, I don't remember a thing.

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #64 on: January 23, 2010, 11:14:13 AM »
hi jay
             well if its the same table then it let me lose on the world  you can not get much better than loveday street for kids in a hurry
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

Brummiejoy

« Reply #65 on: January 23, 2010, 11:18:18 AM »
Hi Roy, Looks like we have been in a hurry ever since ;D
Jaykay my Sister was born in Loveday St on the 23/11/56 table must have been worn out by then..lol

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy