Author Topic: loveday street maternity hospital  (Read 99734 times)

roy one

• Global Moderator
Re: loveday street maternity hospital
« Reply #165 on: February 18, 2016, 09:20:14 PM »
  the end of loveday street in just a bit of colour
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

Jec

« Reply #166 on: March 12, 2016, 02:43:28 PM »
Hello!

I was born at the hospital in July 1968; one of the last, apparently.
The way my Mum told it it was being pulled down around her ears  ;)
I was a planned Caesarian as my mother had had many problem pregnancies (I was the only child that she gave birth to who survived) so I feel pretty special and the place means a lot to me.

Good to find this thread, and really interesting to read.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #167 on: March 12, 2016, 05:07:15 PM »
Hi Jec

Welcome to the forum and the elite few born at Loveday Street. Back when I was born there most babies were delivered at home or in private nursing homes. Though thankfully there were places such as Loveday Street for difficult babies such as ourselves.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

nannypat

« Reply #168 on: April 17, 2016, 09:44:33 PM »
Hi, I was born in Loveday St 1949, my mom seemed ashamed of the fact because she always told me I was born at the q.e Selly oak, it wasn't till I got older and saw my birth certificate that I new the truth I wasn't allowed to speak to her about it, she was a married woman at the time and we lived in bevington Rd Aston .

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #169 on: April 17, 2016, 10:42:03 PM »
Hi nannypat,

Welcome to the forum, I have no idea why your mother would be ashamed of you being born at Loveday Street other than the fact it was the practice in those days for most mothers to give birth at home. Loveday Street was for what were termed awkward babies or what we would call today complicated births.

So all it would mean was your birth was complicated by any number of reasons, one of the main ones was premature birth. I was born at Loveday Street because I was a Rhesus baby and I was Breach and Premature. I was about as awkward then as I am today.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

ajg1066

« Reply #170 on: April 30, 2016, 01:36:17 PM »
My brother was born and died at Loveday Street Maternity Hospitalat the age of 2 hours, in December 1956.  My parents never talked about it, but I know there was a little white coffin which my father carried.  Does anyone know where I might find hospital records/chapel records/death records/burial records for this hospital from 1956?  I don't even know if he has a little grave somewhere, and have spent years trying to find out. :-[  Any help appreciated.

Caroline G

« Reply #171 on: July 27, 2016, 01:45:53 PM »
My twin sister and I were born in Love Day Street Hospital early September 1968. My poor Mom's waters broke and the ambulance took her to the new hospital, even though she told them she had to go to LDSH. Then she had to endure every pothole back to LDSH for us to be born! My sister and I say we were born clumsy because the hospital was being demolished at the time of our birth. It has been lovely to see the photos of the hospital.

Cazza1373

« Reply #172 on: January 04, 2017, 02:07:22 PM »
Really excited to find out the interest the hospital I was born in in June 1961. Like others makes sense why my mum had me there, apparently I looked a nice 'tan' colour shortly after birth so had to have a full blood transfusion.
Sadly my Mum recently died (aged 91) and her death has prompted me to leave my own children with some of my thoughts and memories .
Finding photos of the hospital is my first project so this has been a brilliant experience . Sad but fab thank you everyone who posted on here.  :)

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #173 on: January 04, 2017, 03:02:30 PM »

hi Cazza1373

welcome to the forum  there are a number of member bourn in loveday street hospital including me in the war years  so make your self at home enjoy the forum  by the way I had a sister also bourn there but she did not make her first birthday in the last photo of lovday street it was in black and white but I added a bit of colour to it O0  so enjoy  roy
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

Compressorman

« Reply #174 on: January 05, 2017, 07:37:10 AM »
Tony Teale is my name and I was born in Loveday St on 09/04/1954 - Born in Brum and proud of it.

Travelled the World with my job but never lived far from Brum and always drawn back to Loveday St area - it's a bit like an emotional magnet to me.

Moved to Coleshill as a child and ended up in Father Hudsons Homes - not a nice period of my life but it's all been ok after that.

62 now and live in Swadlicote but my work takes me to Brum constantly.

A true Brummie through and through.

joanbailey

« Reply #175 on: January 29, 2017, 06:52:15 PM »
I was born at Loveday Street Hospital on December 31st 1949. My mother nearly died and blamed me (not her 40 a day smoking habit) for her ill health thereafter. I survived only to be rushed back to hospital 6 weeks later. I guess I was pretty special too.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy