Author Topic: loveday street maternity hospital  (Read 99755 times)

astoness

Re: loveday street maternity hospital
« Reply #187 on: July 20, 2017, 08:26:20 PM »

WOW!! Thanks Lyn  O0   (Pleased to say I wasn't too far off!) That's impressive.
I've just been having another look and gathering bits from across posts on more than one forum, including some interesting aerial photos. I might try sometime to bring all the Loveday Maternity images, links and info together on a web site.

Cheers,
Cal

happy to help cal..yes i did notice that you were not far out at all...dont forget you can go anywhere with this handy little tool..over the years i have researched my family history extensively and gathered many addresses of where rellies lived..schools attended ..places of work etc etc..very interesting to find out what is there now as most of the old brimingham has gone now..enjoy

lyn

johnnyb1948

« Reply #188 on: August 11, 2017, 04:36:38 PM »
My mother had an illegitimate child born around 1944 at Loveday St Hospital Birmingham. The family kept it a secret until many years after my mothers death, but it came out.
She was persuaded by her sisters to give this child up for adoption which she did. So how do I trace this child don't know the sex or name only the mothers name. He or she could even be my
full brother or sister. I was born in 1948. I was told that during this time Birmingham was being bombed and some mothers were transferred else where.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #189 on: August 11, 2017, 05:29:35 PM »
Hi Johnny

I don't know anything about this sort of thing, but we have posters on this forum who are well versed in this field. I think you might have to give them a little more information if you want them to investigate for you. This would be best done via the forums private messaging system which will not become available to you until you have made a minimum of five forum posts.

Though you are quite welcome to use the forum for the exchange of general information, but please try to keep any personal information  of living people to a minimum unless you have the express permission of the person to post it.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #190 on: August 11, 2017, 06:17:03 PM »

hi john and welcome to the forum

I was born in 1948. I was told that during this time Birmingham was being bombed and some mothers were transferred else where.

john the bombing stopped in 1945 that was the end of the war but even the war did not stop loveday street hospital helping moms who was having a difficult time giving birth 
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

pambach

« Reply #191 on: November 16, 2017, 08:35:02 PM »
On my birth certificate it says my place of birth was 28 Loveday Street, Birmingham. Does anybody know if this was part of the maternity hospital in 1957?

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #192 on: November 16, 2017, 09:10:20 PM »

On my birth certificate it says my place of birth was 28 Loveday Street, Birmingham. Does anybody know if this was part of the maternity hospital in 1957?

loveday street hospital come under the district of colmore  if you was bourn in the hospital that what it should say depending on the year you was bourn

by the way welcome to the forum enjoy
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

Robin Draper

« Reply #193 on: February 07, 2018, 09:11:21 PM »
Hello everyone. I am Robin Draper, an "over-spiller" of 1960, I was born in Loveday Street Hospital in April 1957. My younger brother was born in September 1959 (and unusually, moms first child of February 1948 was born in a house in Kingstanding!). Mom told me that she "bought two bricks for the new hospital" for me and my brother. Having discovered that the hospital was not closed until 1969 - years after her statement, this seems a bit weird. Could anyone throw any light on this?

Spud

« Reply #194 on: February 08, 2018, 10:58:03 AM »
Pambach

I don't think for a minute that 28 Loveday St was part of the Maternity Hospital a quick look at Google Maps shows a block of shops /houses In fact an old friend of mine had a shop in Loveday St [No.45/47]which I am certain was once a Terraced House
The Only Free Cheese is in The Trap

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #195 on: February 08, 2018, 12:54:56 PM »
Robin

Welcome to the forum, I can't tell you anything about the bricks that you refer to, although at one time it was common practice to donate to the building of a new hospital by purchasing a brick or two. I would imagine that these bricks cost more than the actual brick as the real charge for a brick would have only been a few pence at thgat time.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #196 on: February 08, 2018, 01:03:32 PM »
Spud

I think that number 28 would have possibly been the correct postal number for the Maternity Hospital. In the 1950 edition of Kelly's Trade directory it puts the hospital next door to the Salvation Army Hostel at 26 Loveday Street. I'm also adding a section of a 1950 OS map for your perusal.

LOVEDAY ST. (4), Steelhouse lane to Lower Loveday street.
MAP G 3 & 4.
 EAST SIDE.
 H.M. Inspector of Taxes (Income Tax & Land Tax Dept. fifteenth district) (L. W. Collins, inspector)
 2 to 5 Gittins Charles E. & Co. Ltd. bldrs.' ironmongers
 here is Bailey st
 8 Hall & Parkes Ltd. Cycle accessories mfrs. (Simplex ho)
 8, 9 & 10 Arden Knitwear Ltd. knitted sportswear mfrs :
 16 & 17 Birmingham. Maternity Hospital (Nurses' Hostel)
 18 Fellows Frank H. & Sons F.A.I. auctnrs 8 Biddle C.Ltd. pawnbrkrs
 18 Shield Alfred Ltd. pawnbrokers
 26 Salvation Army Working Men's Hostel & Industrial Sections
Birmingham Maternity Hospital
 here are Lench & Vesey streets
 44 Rudman J. T. shopkpr
 here is Price st
 LEFT SIDE.
 44A Jelf Wm coffee rms
 44B, British Homing World Publishing Co. Ltd. (The)
 45 Richardson Mrs. Gertrude, shopkpr
 48 Keegan L. M. Ltd. mfrs.' agts
 49 Brierley Jas. & Sons Ltd. brush mkrs
 50 Sharman Arth. B. & Son, paper mers ..
 here are Lower Loveday & Bath streets ...
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

keefypops

« Reply #197 on: June 29, 2018, 07:31:09 PM »
Hi I have posted before and have nothing to add other than we should be more than greatful for the NHS which has been in existence for70  years.
I doubt if my mother or I would have survived without the NHS  .she was driven at speed on much poorer roads than today from Kidderminster General to Loveday Street as I was breach and needed caesarian section
Every time I'm in Cardiff I stand by Ny Bevins statue and say a quiet thankyou.
Perhaps we should collectively do the same?

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy