Author Topic: loveday street maternity hospital  (Read 99717 times)

john2000

Re: loveday street maternity hospital
« Reply #44 on: March 25, 2009, 12:12:23 PM »
Yes, Loveday hospital was a place where many started life there, ( I was born in a better area), I worked across the road from the entrance, building an extension to the General Hospital, that was a strange project, always accidents there, one guy who drove a dumper ( a little truck with a bucket on the front) had to fill some holes for the foundations with concreate, the holes where about 8 ft wide and about 6ft deep, anyway one day he got too close to the edge and the dumper startred to slid into the hole, and he like an idiot thought he could jump across the hole, wrong, he jumped 6ft, but the hole was 8ft, and down he went, with the dumper and concrete coming down on top of him, they got him out because it was the first load of concrete to go into the hole, so the concrete wasn't deep, ( mind you he didn't have far to go to the hospital, ), another time was a guy who was fitting the re-bars ( steel rods), to a coloum slipped and fell but trapping his foot in the rebars, he was hanging there by his foot, they had to get the crane to lift him up so they could free his foot,another time was a worker was covering the small windows of the mortuary with plastic, when he looked into the morgue, saw what was going on and fainted, he left and never came back, and then it was my turn, just to the side where some arches, and me and another carpenter had to put some cladding on the ceiling, under the arches, great job, looking at all the nurses coming and going, ( got told off, because it was taking too long,) but towards the end of the corridor came the problem, it was a nice hot day and I'm on my little ladder moving along fixing the panels to the ceiling when my mate falls off ladder, I look at him he was out cold, ( thought prat), and that was the last thing I remember, I woke up in the general foremans office, next to my mate, asking if we where ok, I was told that some one in the hospital had poured some Ertha down the sink, and it came out just by where we where working,  great place to work, the next and last time I was fitting some door frames to the bottom of a stairwell
next moment the floor started to fill up with water, ( a drain had become blocked) and so the water was coming out just where I was working, . now I knew where the drain was so I put my hand down to clear the sand and dirt in the bottom, when I felt a sharp pain, pulled my hand out and there sticking out my hand was a hypodermic syringe, so I went to the hospital ( next door) to get it removed, no problem till I told them where I had found it, ( it was an old one,) took my blood for tests, came back ok, but then just to make sure I had to have a tetanus jab, now come the fun, I only had on my tee shirt and jeans, ( no underpants,) and I had a young nurse ( first timer) had to give me the jab in my bum, we both had red faces, but later I had a red bum..... :-[..J2
Growing old is mandatory..........Growing up is optional

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #45 on: March 25, 2009, 12:49:37 PM »
John

This is nothing to do with the thread but, I remember back in the mid 70's we used to do a lot of work for the Health Authority. We had one job in the nurses hostel Ludgate Hill if I remember right.

When you worked in these places because of all the lone women it was the strictest of security. When I went along to view the job, I made my appointment with the matron of the hostel and called on her at my allotted time.

When I got there and met the matron we spoke in her office for a while as she kept looking at her watch. After a short while, she said right lets go look at whats got to be done and we headed for the basement.

We turned this corner in the corridor and found ourselves confronted by four naked and partly dressed women. They of course screamed and ran. The Matron  asked me to wait and went after them. I heard her giving them a verbal lashing saying "you were told not to use the showers between the times I posted on the notice in the shower room".

When she came back she apologised to me, I said "no need to apologise, but Its just I  didn't know where to look". I didn't add because I was spoiled for choice.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

tramp

« Reply #46 on: March 25, 2009, 03:59:04 PM »
Hi Val,

The sea seems to be popular with a number of brummies who have moved well away. Bannion, Frederick and me all live on the coast.   It gives the world an extra dimension don't you think?

tramp

choppy

« Reply #47 on: April 12, 2009, 12:09:10 PM »
Hi, I was born there November 1952 ...sorry no photo..Sue

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #48 on: April 12, 2009, 01:26:37 PM »
Hi Sue

Welcome to the forum, it could just possibly be the best thing you ever joined. What’s your excuse for not having a camera with you when you were born at Loveday St?

What have you been doing since that auspicious day, where in Birmingham do you originate from? We have to know these things because we are nosey.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Ex-Pat John

« Reply #49 on: April 12, 2009, 01:42:11 PM »
Sorrento for me. Always had a problem how an Italian sounding name could have been used for an old Brum Maternity Hospital!
It ain't 'alf 'ot mom!

tramp

« Reply #50 on: April 12, 2009, 02:07:15 PM »
Once more into the breach dear friends.

I was born feet first at home during WW II - Phil's another who put his foot in it.  Thanks to the local midwife and Dr Williams who helped me kick my way out. 

beatrice

« Reply #51 on: May 24, 2009, 11:31:04 PM »
Hello Brummies
My name is Beatrice, and l just joined  the Birmingham Forum...
l came across another site..... Birmingham History Forum.
Once you register, you can access a photo of The Loveday St. Hospital
My twin sister and l were born in this hospital in 1947.
Hope this helps ... Cheers....

denise

« Reply #52 on: May 24, 2009, 11:47:33 PM »
Welcome to the forum Beatrice ;D

tramp

« Reply #53 on: May 25, 2009, 12:40:10 AM »
Hello Beatrice,

Welcome to the friendliest forum in town.  We're a pretty informal bunch and a good percentage of us are around your age group, so there'll normally be someone who can help with any questions or queries you have, despite a fair few of us not living in brum, or UK these days.   Have a look and a dig around, get stuck in and say what you think - and why you do - that's always a recipe for a fine discussion.  Most of all, enjoy this place O0

tramp

cal

« Reply #54 on: October 06, 2009, 12:52:32 PM »
Hi - just joined the forum, I've been trying to locate my birth place for some time - a bit difficult trying to work out which bit of St Chad's Queensway the maternity hospital was on! I've got a photocopy of map from the library in Brum from before the Queensway was built so I've been able to get some idea, but I've yet to find any photo's so hoping to find something looking back through the posts here.

I was born there in June '59

Pleased to see that this group is in place, I look forward to learning more and sharing anything I find.

Cal

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy