Author Topic: S&U STORES  (Read 13191 times)

roy one

• Global Moderator
Re: S&U STORES
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2009, 10:48:55 AM »
hi phil no not poverty struck we was all in the same boat it was the way things was we did not live on tic it was not the way thing was done have it now pay later did not come about until the late 60s 10 shilling down and five bob aw eek its the same as a tv you had them on rent in the slot or pay per month most folk did not own there own home it was rented off the council then the right to buy come about and and the way things got done was changed   we become a nation of live now pay later at one time you never had a bank account you got your money in your hand on Friday then it went to monthly and then you had to have a bank account and with that you could have a card and used that you stopped having money in your hand so to most it did not seem like you was spending the hole in the wall and thats the way kids think today you get your money out of the hole in the wall
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

9teen48

« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2009, 09:56:10 PM »
You can just make out the top of the S & U building in this postcard of the Bull Ring Centre.  I should probably add this to a different thread, but does anyone remember the restaurant next to the Matador in this picture ? I think it was called The Witzi Doo.  I used to go there weekday lunchtimes late 1964-early 1965.
Brian

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2009, 10:18:43 PM »
Hi 9teen48

Thats S&U alright, about the Witzy Doo. Our crowd could never afford restaurant prices in those days. Most dinner times you would find us in Woollies cafeteria a gang of us sitting round a plate of chips and gravy with a fork apiece tucking in.

If you knew the girl serving the chips she would pile the plate up for you. A glass of ice cold water from the machine and thats it you were fed for the day.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

9teen48

« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2009, 10:34:17 PM »
Hi Phil,

I used Woollies cafetria as well.  usually chips and beans at the one in New Street, or a pastie from the Co-op in High Street.
Brian

CAROLINA

« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2009, 01:06:36 PM »
I worked for Swallow Raincoats in the early 60s (great times there with a juke box) and they were taken over by S&U.

9teen48

« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2009, 11:50:23 PM »
Hi Carolina,

Here's a shot of the S&U building beyond the old Market Hall in 1961.

Brian

frederick

« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2009, 09:08:59 AM »
i haven't seen that photo before it,s a good one of the old market thanks for putting on.
Failure to Prepare is to Prepare to Fail

robx52

« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2009, 12:00:59 AM »
S&U were owned by the Coombs family of BCFC fame, one of the brothers was a Tory MP for Yardley IN the 60s/70s. One way or another they took a lot of money out of Birmingham.

netty 1960

« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2012, 01:33:59 PM »
We must have been a real poverty struck family because all those names were known and used by both sets of grandparents. Provident. Blundells, S&U and there was another one in Blake Lane by the Custard House who's name escapes me.

I have seen my one grandmother empty her purse when the collectors for these people came calling. You couldn't live with them and you couldn't live without them.

This is why I always pay cash for everything. There have been times that I have had bank loans but they have always been repaid in less time than we were allowed. I'm afraid rather than use credit facilities in the past we have gone without which has annoyed my wife at times.

Phil
I know this is an old post but the store in Blake Lane was "Evans" my nan and mom used them a man called Frank used to come every week to collect the money !

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2012, 02:52:57 PM »
netty

You a most likely right, for the life of me I cannot remember the name I just know most of our clothing and furnishing only came from the stores in Birmingham that gave credit.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

netty 1960

« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2012, 04:50:52 PM »
It definatly was called Evans , i remember we had to sometime hide from Frank as Mom couldnt pay , then one day he came round the back garden a found us all hiding in the kitchen !!! It was so funny and then years later  "frank " turned up on the ward where i was working and omg he remembered me i was so embrassed .He even remmebered finding us that day !  He was a nice man and seen us all grow up as my Mom had himcall for  so many years .

Good day and good fun , a bit of rough did us no harm there was 5 off us kids but we all got on well

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy