Author Topic: S&U STORES  (Read 13123 times)

Empty

Re: S&U STORES
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2012, 01:00:59 AM »
Hi Folks, long time no visit!
My Dad Arthur Taylor worked for S & U as a collector but didn't do too well because he would persuade some customers not to take on too much if he thought they were struggling with bills. His older brother was a manager there and I remember as a child being taken to see him. We had a meal in the staff restaurant which was on the top floor with fantastic views over the city. I still have an old map of B'ham somewhere in the house which Dad had to mark out his 'patch'.
Moira

phil48

« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2012, 10:58:22 PM »
Looking at the photo of the market hall it must have been a huge building looking at the area it covered , also i seem to remember the s&u building as being a fairly new and modern building did it replace an earlier one .
phil

trapio

« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2012, 11:35:18 PM »
In that house, they never had a 'tallyman' calling just the man from Pearl Insurance, and I think that had stopped by 1955, early '56.

Like Phil and probably a good many others, I've avoided debt, except a mortgage (and a loan for a 2nd hand E-type for 1,000 miles of weekly hospital visiting in the late 70s) and haven't had a mortgage since I went to Papua New Guinea in early 80s.  Am not 'scared of debt', it was like some others, a matter of learning to live without as a child that continued into adulthood.  I'm a bad credit risk now, as I've no 'credit record' - I can happily live with that.  O0
Integrity is non negotiable

planetmalc

« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2012, 05:36:53 PM »
Looking at the photo of the market hall it must have been a huge building looking at the area it covered
phil

I think it stood roughly on the same site as the Manzoni Gardens (if you can remember that), but, unlike the Manzoni Gardens, it actually fronted onto original old Bull Ring, so its total area would have to include the depth of the building that ran alongside the ramp that led up from the 60's Bull Ring to the Manzoni Gardens (Oh for an aerial photo that clearly illustrates what I'm struggling to describe  :-[ ).
There's no B/S on Planet Malc.

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2012, 06:13:01 PM »
Malc

You are quite correct the old Birmingham Market Hall at 365 ft long by 180 ft wide and 60ft high was nearly the size of Manzoni Gardens which took its place. As can been seen more easily by these two photos.

Phil died in 2020. RIP.

planetmalc

« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2012, 05:03:30 PM »
Thanks, Phil, great photo's as usual.     Much as I liked the old Market, I think the Manzoni Gardens were an improvement.     What a shame they were allowed to become run-down.   :-\
There's no B/S on Planet Malc.

Paulina

« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2012, 06:18:44 PM »
 :) I guess I can think myself lucky as I always had new clothes but then we have to go back to the original "being an only one child".  Spoiled a little. !

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2012, 07:54:33 PM »
Malc

I spent many happy hours in Manzoni Gardens once they relaxed the rules on walking on the grass, it was a shame to see them go. Perhaps this new East Side park will make up for it.
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Juliette

« Reply #30 on: August 14, 2012, 08:52:00 PM »
My sister worked for S&U stores in station road. Her first job. Her wages were five guineas a week. 1968. My mom was so very poor - Irish immigrants with a Jewish mother in back housing in hockley. We really were (like so very many others) without basic things. Forget thinking new clothes. We were thinking next meal. BUT..."we were never really unhappy. Was it because everyone around us were the same or.....laws it the Irish in us  :)

Severned

« Reply #31 on: November 27, 2016, 09:36:44 AM »
You can just make out the top of the S & U building in this postcard of the Bull Ring Centre.  I should probably add this to a different thread, but does anyone remember the restaurant next to the Matador in this picture ? I think it was called The Witzi Doo.  I used to go there weekday lunchtimes late 1964-early 1965.
Brian
Only just joined but I do remember the Witzi Doo it was at the top of the circular walkway from the bottom of the market into the bullring, my cousin Janet worked there as a waitress in the 60's
Ed

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: November 27, 2016, 10:31:15 AM »

hi severned
                   this is the best I could come up with in the way of a photo   welcome to the forum  ill see if I can add a bit of colour to the photo
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy