Author Topic: Looking for old friends or family?  (Read 283718 times)

Intalkid

Re: Looking for old friends or family?
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2008, 05:03:12 PM »
Some 50 years ago, when I worked for a Sheffield firm called International Twist Drill, I had regular telephone contact with a firm called (I think) Benson & Bond, and the telephonist there was a young lady called Jill Dibble.
There was one occasion when I travelled down to Birmingham and met up with Mike (?) Williams, who was manager of International's Birmingham office; and, while in the city, I met and talked to Jill Dibble and her (then) boy friend. Soon afterwards I left that firm.
All these years later, I often wonder what became of Miss Dibble and Mr Williams.
If anyone knows, I would love to hear.

john2000

« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2008, 06:49:45 PM »
Intalkid......have a look at the births/death/marriage dept, here in Brum, they may shine some light on your problem, but she may not even be in the UK, . :-\.J2
Growing old is mandatory..........Growing up is optional

JayJay

« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2008, 08:31:17 PM »
I would really like to hear from anyone who knew or was related to James O'Connor who was born in Glasgow on 13th July 1914

He lived in the Birmingham area from 1940s to 1970s and died in St Albans in 1984

JJ

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2008, 10:56:47 AM »
Hi Jay Jay

Welcome to the forum, I don't hold much help of you being able to get in touch with anyone who knew James on this site, as our numbers are so small. I suppose it is always possible that a visitor to the site may spot your appeal.

Just one suggestion, Birmingham is a big place. A little more information may be of some help. Such as the district where James lived?  where he worked? where he spent his leisure time? did he have a nick name? anything like that may jog a memory with some one.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

Intalkid

« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2008, 02:08:31 PM »
Since I posted the first note, I have been thinking about the International Twist Drill branch office in about 1958, and I may have got a Christian name wrong, for it was Colin Williams who was in charge, not Mike.
To respond to the previous message, I don't think I want to search the births, deaths and marriages at present, I was just hoping that someone might, for instance, know something about Benson & Bond or/or International Twist Drill, and the names I have mentioned might 'click'.
It may well be that Jill Dibble went abroad, for she was the sort of person who might well have gone on to do that.
Anyway, thanks.

JayJay

« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2008, 04:56:27 PM »

Hello Phil and thanks for your reply

Unfortunately I haven't got anymore information
I was just hoping that there may be a slight chance that someone would recognise the name and date of birth

JJ

SheffMick

« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2008, 07:42:05 PM »
A bit of a long shot this, having stumbled across this forum, I remember meeting Alan on holiday in Majorca in 1979, me and my then girlfriend (who I am now married to) befriended him and kept in touch for a couple of years. I remember us coming down to Birmingham for a night out with him and a girlfriend of his, he lived on Mackadown Lane back then with his parents. Just wondering if anyone knows him or his whereabouts it would be good to get in touch with him after all this time, he would remember us (if he can) as Mick and Bev from Sheffield. Cheers.

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2008, 01:29:18 PM »
 do you need to find  lost friends or family  will you post on hear please
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

tramp

« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2008, 05:07:06 PM »
No, I'd prefer to lose some of the wife's family here - not my mother-in-law, who's one of my best friends - as we never speak or see each other, it wouldn't be a noticable loss, just, to use a trendy PC in word, ''closure'' - and I thought that is what MFI are doing..... ;D

Bannion

« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2008, 12:58:13 PM »
Forlorn hope for the chances of finding this person by this means is fairly remote but here goes.

1957.  Served with a Trevor Perks in the clerical offices of RAF Uxbridge, Middlesex
He heralded from Stourbridge area.  He was invalided out of the service and I lost touch from that date.  He would now be in his early to mid seventies.
One never knows?

tramp

« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2008, 01:41:15 PM »

I'd very much like to make contact with another neighbour, Martin Edward Brown, 65 who also attended Clifton Rd.  His father was an Inspector on BCT, and taught me to fish.  A well manered boy from a  fine family. I haven't seen him since '58, exactly 50 years ago - and it would be very good to know how he has been over the years. I tried Friends Reunited, and the brum paper published my address here a few years ago when I was looking for, and made contact with Mrs Phillips our teacher for the last 2 years at Clifton Rd.  We're still in contact; she's 85 and not in the best of health.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy