Author Topic: the ice rink spring hill  (Read 26687 times)

Phil

• Account Closed
Re: the ice rink spring hill
« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2008, 07:08:12 PM »
A good old fashioned 60's phrase and you know what they say about the 60's "If you can remember them you weren't there"

Phil died in 2020. RIP.

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: March 21, 2008, 08:47:30 PM »
 skin tight jeans Winkle picker shoes bright pink or green socks a jar of brillcream on ya hair d/a hair cut a few bob in ya pocket and a Saturday night  what more could a lad wont  good times was there to be taken and we did
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

john2000

« Reply #35 on: March 21, 2008, 10:00:57 PM »
Roy ben.... yepe. just like swimen, ( with out the dayglow socks. ) ;D
Growing old is mandatory..........Growing up is optional

mazbeth

« Reply #36 on: March 27, 2008, 01:46:39 PM »
I liked Adam Faith, and I liked Georgie Fame...(I used to get the two mixed up in my mind for some reason)-
being born in '59 means I was still a kid in the 60's but my interest in pop music started with Sandie Shaw in the Eurovision and Puppet On A String - I used to sing it a lot ;D

when I really got into pop music from about '71/'72 the radio (even radio 1 then) would still play a lot from the 50's and 60's so I got to like many from then.
Let those that love us, love us. And those that don't, may God turn their hearts. And, if He cannot turn their hearts, May He turn their ankles so we may know them by their limping!- Irish blessing

mazbeth

« Reply #37 on: March 27, 2008, 01:51:03 PM »
"dolly birds"?
There's a phrase I haven't heard recently.

I used to be one of them, in the early 70's...didn't last long though :-\ :-\ before it got harder to be glamorous :-\
oh but it was good fun dolling myself up with the purple eyeshadow and loads of black eyeliner and mascara and deep pink lipstick, and even glitter spray in my hair, and going down the Locarno.
Let those that love us, love us. And those that don't, may God turn their hearts. And, if He cannot turn their hearts, May He turn their ankles so we may know them by their limping!- Irish blessing

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #38 on: March 27, 2008, 03:58:48 PM »
hi maz  the locarno been in there a few times now that was a place to be seen and a good time was had by all

now your on about staying a dolly bird  my wife would say to me it does not last its only for now she says its OK for men to grow old but its hard for awoman to stay looking young when you have kids and a house to look after life takes its toll even now i see young Lady's out with men that are 20 or 30 years older but you do not see Meany woman out with men 30 years younger so i would say for woman life can be a bitch now the other thing i was going to say is its OK for a man to go off with diffrent Lady's but if a lady goes out with diffrent men its not to long be for she gets a bad name
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

mazbeth

« Reply #39 on: March 27, 2008, 05:22:15 PM »
my wife would say to me it does not last its only for now she says its OK for men to grow old but its hard for awoman to stay looking young when you have kids and a house to look after life takes its toll
she is quite correct!
I see some who have been all out for themselves, spending money on themselves, leaving kids with older parents, or childminders if they have more money etc, while they carry on as if nothing has changed...
maybe it's because I didn't have my first child till I was 30 that I think of it so different to some...

his first voting card came in the post today...can't explain how it affected me...yes, I knew he had turned 18 in January...but it just seems weird, as I still have these kind of pictures in my head (time moves slowly there  ;D)

(my lovely mom in it too)

wales

« Reply #40 on: April 20, 2008, 08:02:14 PM »
ah. the old spring hill rollar rink.  i used to live for it going at least 5 times a week. gutted us when it closed down. i know les ross started off there but does anyone remember a young dj named frankie. hes still doing his stuff. been 40 years in the business and now lives in australia. what happy days.

THE BARON

« Reply #41 on: January 27, 2012, 05:04:12 PM »
Summer hill Not Springhill if I remember it correct.
This is our ICE HOCKEY TEAM The Birmingham Barons

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #42 on: January 27, 2012, 07:46:50 PM »
Hi Baron

Welcome to the forum, yes it was Summer Hill Rink. Any idea why that was so, because it was on Spring Hill so it was an easy mistake for anyone to make.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

THE BARON

« Reply #43 on: January 27, 2012, 08:14:32 PM »
Hi Phil, Thanks for the welcome. When I started Skating at the age of 11, I only  new the Rink as THE SANDPITS .Springhill is a bit further down by the library,Summer Hill goes from the rink into the City. Now thats if my grey cell are not letting me down lol ;0)

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy