Author Topic: the ice rink spring hill  (Read 26630 times)

tramp

Re: the ice rink spring hill
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2008, 01:59:05 PM »
Roy,

If Phil's street was like ours, the scrap man would've end up empty handed, the local Del Boy's would have had it down to ''Arthur's" in a flash, and the owner would've been happy to buy it back newly polished, the next morning.  Arthur would have said that he knew a fella who'd see the transfer through quickly for a small consideration, and he'd have his name on the log book by the time he took Arthur for a pie and a pint for lunch.

froggy

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2008, 04:40:26 PM »
Only went to the ice rink at Spring Hill once; I was chasing a girl who I'd heard was a regular there. I was crushed when I saw her on the ice with a good-looking guy and both of them were super skaters.......I was holding on to the boards for dear life.
About the Embassy on Walford Rd, Sparkbrook, did anyone see Louis Armstrong there in the fifties? What a great show! Too bad about the acoustics. The Piccadilly cinema was just up Stratford Rd. I was in love with Kim Novak after seeing her in "Picnic" with Wm. Holden. Ah, those teenage years.

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2008, 05:04:00 PM »
hi froggy welcome to the forum  iv been to spring hill always ended up on my ass and getting wet to  now the Piccadilly iv been there a few time once they would not let me in to see rock around the clock idd got a leather jacket on and that was that i lived in Grantham road at the time so i went home and put a coat on and they let me in i spent a load of time in the embassy rink had some good times from there come out one night and on the corner was a hot dog man never had one of them befor it was 6 pence in old money  been in the Walford cinemas found ten bob on the floor there my god i was Rich you can tell how long ago it was ten players was was two bob(10 p) and ten number six was 9 pence chips was 3pence and fish was 6 pence giving my age away now
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

froggy

« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2008, 05:58:30 PM »
Yes roy ben, I must be a bit younger cuz seems to me cod was a bob and plaice was more. In those days we didn't fret about the fat and the salt, wasn't it tasty? Now I have a heart condition so I have to watch it.
I remember seeing Rock around the Clock (Bill Haley & the Comets) too. Those early R&R movies were so corny; the straight-laced parents getting their knickers in a twist thinking their kids were going to Sodom & Gomorrah fast. Even funnier was Reefer Madness.

tramp

« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2008, 08:14:24 PM »
Welcome Froggy, does your interest in ice rinks mean that you now live in Alaska or Canada or, come to that Afghanistan or Alice Springs?

froggy

« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2008, 10:14:35 PM »
Nice to meet you Tramp. This is a good site to keep my noggin active in my old age; brings back a lot of memories. Yep I chose to live in Canada 47 yrs ago, sure beats Afghanistan where our (Cdn) boys are getting killed and injured. I don't think ice rinks had much to do with moving here though; I've done a lot more ski-ing than skating. My skating ability is pathetic compared to my 2 kids who've both played in  ice hockey teams.
Before my parents went to heaven I used to fly over to Blighty every year or two to visit them in Shirley, & later Olton. I rarely ventured into Brum cuz all those ringways and middleways got me confused. I do like what they did with the canals though.  Needless to say, it's not the grimy, smokey city I remember in the 50s.

tramp

« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2008, 10:27:23 PM »

froggy,

It's good to meet you too.  I also left Brum in the late 50s for the army, and have been travelling for most of my adult life.  I will have lived in Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic for 11 years come next month.  I had a good Canadian mate down here for several years, but he's now back in Toronto looking after aging parents.  Where are you in Canada?

mazbeth

« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2008, 10:31:14 PM »
welcome Froggy...nice to meet you..I know Shirley and Olton a little bit from when I lived in Acocks Green, but not much
Let those that love us, love us. And those that don't, may God turn their hearts. And, if He cannot turn their hearts, May He turn their ankles so we may know them by their limping!- Irish blessing

tramp

« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2008, 10:36:37 PM »
Mazbeth,

When you lived in Acocks Green, did you know the Acocks Green and Olton Laundry? I ask as my granddad worked there, and cycled from BH every day for many years.  I went there with him a few times, I think it was close to the corner with Lincoln Rd.  Do you remember it froggy?

mazbeth

« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2008, 10:52:33 PM »
Mazbeth,

When you lived in Acocks Green, did you know the Acocks Green and Olton Laundry?
I'm afraid I only lived there between '84 and '86, so it doesn't ring a bell.
I think there may have been a laundry on 'the Green' where all the shops were, but not sure.
Let those that love us, love us. And those that don't, may God turn their hearts. And, if He cannot turn their hearts, May He turn their ankles so we may know them by their limping!- Irish blessing

tramp

« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2008, 11:22:28 PM »
Mazbeth,

I should've made it clear that I was referring to the late 40s, early 50s, so what you saw on the Green was almost certainly unrelated to the old laundry.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy