Author Topic: the ice rink spring hill  (Read 26631 times)

froggy

Re: the ice rink spring hill
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2008, 12:56:34 AM »
Sorry Tramp I never actually lived in that area, was just visiting my old mum at the Mason Lodge, first right off Lincoln Rd. It's actually just inside Olton on the boundary, not exactly the posh end of Solihull. When my dad was alive they lived close to Shirley station and their local was the Drawbridge Pub on the canal.
To answer your question, Tramp, I'm in Ottawa, Ontario. It was chosen by Queen Victoria as the capital 150 yrs ago when Toronto and Montreal couldn't agree. Used to be a rough old lumber town but now it's half-civilised, no spitting allowed.
Also nice to meet you too, Mazbeth.

tramp

« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2008, 01:20:34 AM »
froggy,

Thanks for the information. This is essentially a good site, I think.  I've certainly come across some very decent people, but, like anywhere else, it takes all sorts, as you've probably seen from some of Mazbeth's posts today about another forum. I've not been on this one long (30th Nov 07), and it's the first one I've ever joined. 

I've been to Canada three times and never passed a night there, and I'm not referring to plane stops!

mazbeth

« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2008, 09:11:57 AM »
Mazbeth,

I should've made it clear that I was referring to the late 40s, early 50s, so what you saw on the Green was almost certainly unrelated to the old laundry.
yes...reading again your mention of Lincoln Road...I seem to remember that was further up, towards Olton?
A long straight road?
I used to visit elderly people you see, when I worked with the B'ham City Mission in the 80's, and a couple of them lived in Lincoln Road (and more in many other roads...I did a lot of walking in those days).
But my memory seems to be going to pot these days (and not because of the pot we were discussing elsewhere  ;D ).
Let those that love us, love us. And those that don't, may God turn their hearts. And, if He cannot turn their hearts, May He turn their ankles so we may know them by their limping!- Irish blessing

tramp

« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2008, 11:54:39 AM »
Mazbeth,

I think Lincoln Rd was just about the border with Olton. The Laundry was a big building with over 30 huge horizontal drom w/machines.  They had green Morris Commercial delivery/collection vans - I even remember the plates of two of them, the pre-war OC 1590 and the latest edition to the fleet FHA 142 in the early 50s.  Two young fellas from the laundry were killed in the Korean War of that era.

It's amazing what comes back to mind when one ''stops and thinks'' isn't it?

Phil

• Account Closed
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2008, 12:12:35 PM »
tramp,

The laundry used to be on the corner of Lincoln Rd and Warwick Rd, it was eventually bought out by Initial Services Ltd and continued in business until the mid eighties. Most of the site is now little factory units. I'm not sure but I think part of the Laundry remains, as I have to pass there any time I want to go into Birmingham next time I do so I will have a look.

Lincoln rd is on the border of Birmingham and Solihull. In fact the boundary line runs up the middle of the road. Thats why the old Boundary Club on the other side of Warwick rd was called what it was.

Phil
Phil died in 2020. RIP.

tramp

« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2008, 12:22:59 PM »
Phil,

You are amazing...there's no other word for it, not just a mine of information, a living pictorial encyclopaedia.  Thanks very much, and another one for ''our house''.  It wasn't till I reread your post that it sunk in that all five of the places you lived in are now no more.. and that many other people's homes and or birthplaces are are no more.  I've just had another look at it to check that all is ok - I suppose it must be the cold, but the trees down your way, grow a lot more slowly than here......but then it's nice and warm at 8.30 am, and the sun is shining.....

brino1962

« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2008, 11:04:18 AM »
used to live around the corner from it st marks crescent had many a good time around those streets all changed now tho last time i was around there all drugs and crime

roy one

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2008, 01:36:55 PM »
brino welcome to the forum nice to see a new face have fun

spring hill i had loads of fun in that place all ways ended up with a wet ass and a few lumps  st marks cre i had a girl friend from round there she was just a friend her name was jean but we used to meet up in the rink and that would be about 1959  long time ago
each day is a blessing and I bless each day when it comes

batucada

« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2008, 02:25:10 PM »
I used to go to both Spring Hill and Embassy. A few things I remember about the Embassy was the noise and the dust and if you hired the skates having to bribe the bloke to give you a pair with the wheels all the same size.

john2000

« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2008, 02:37:04 PM »
Maybe...but what a place to pick up the dolly birds ( every Friday night,) O0
Growing old is mandatory..........Growing up is optional

batucada

« Reply #32 on: March 21, 2008, 03:16:00 PM »
"dolly birds"?
There's a phrase I haven't heard recently.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy