Author Topic: was you a kid in the 50sand 60s in brum  (Read 16743 times)

brummylove

Re: was you a kid in the 50sand 60s in brum
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2017, 08:23:56 PM »
Wow that brought back memories. When I got to my teens I would travel on the back of my brothers motor bike. We went to different places. Barmouth  , poppet sands and Pembroke.. When we was young we stayed in a static, then camping as we got a little older. It always rained and twice the tent blew down in barmouth. We ended up with mom, dad and six kids and a German Shepard all sleeping in the car..good memories now , but a bit squashed at the time. My brother still goes every year to poppet sands.

countrylad

« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2017, 09:03:00 PM »
I think we did it the other way around, camping when young and caravan when older. As a nipper, was always told not to touch the inside wall of the wet tent because it would leak, and it did. We ended up having most of our holidays near Aberystwth, we bought a caravan there. Couldn't afford to go that often but great when we did. When we lived in Kings Norton my moms friend bought a caravan and that was at Poppet Sands. Only went there once. Happy times.

brummylove

« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2017, 09:30:30 PM »
We moved from druids Heath to kings Norton. Lindsworth road. We lived there for 18 months before moving to Bournemouth. I had an aunt and uncle who lived in wales, can't remember what part, used to visit them while on holiday. I remember my aunt always held the loaf between her knees and butter the top first , then slice it, still holding it between her knees. I wonder if that was a welsh thing. My brothers was always sent to a little shop that also cut hair upstairs. My mom always asked for "short back and sides, and plenty of the top" its more like a skinhead cut. Poor things

brummylove

« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2017, 09:33:49 PM »
Poppet sands had a fantastic beach, the tide went out so far..we went crabbing everyday, we also found land fish under the rocks. ..

Scipio

« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2017, 09:37:37 PM »

Poppet sands had a fantastic beach, the tide went out so far..we went crabbing everyday, we also found land fish under the rocks. ..

So you never done any swimming there then by the sound of it Brummylove
If voting made any difference , they wouldn't let us do it.
Mark Twain

brummylove

« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2017, 10:22:36 PM »
We did. We used to go out on a lilo. I was on one with my youngest sister. I was about 10 and she was about 6. We didn't realize we was so far out. We panicked and fell off. My sister was trying to climb on me, which ment pushing me under, I was trying to get her off me whilst trying to keep her and me afloat, whilst trying to grab the lilo. We did get to shore, I have no idea how. After that dad always anchored the lilo by rope onto the sand..my sister still tells everyone I tried to drown her when she was young.....charming..

countrylad

« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2017, 07:18:11 AM »
We did. We used to go out on a lilo. I was on one with my youngest sister. I was about 10 and she was about 6. We didn't realize we was so far out. We panicked and fell off. My sister was trying to climb on me, which ment pushing me under, I was trying to get her off me whilst trying to keep her and me afloat, whilst trying to grab the lilo. We did get to shore, I have no idea how. After that dad always anchored the lilo by rope onto the sand..my sister still tells everyone I tried to drown her when she was young.....charming..
Had a lilo, always warned got to go too far out too, told all sorts of horror stories of being washed out to sea. Horrible job trying to blow it up, got dizzy. Some of the kids would have a pump for the job. The lilo got a puncture, loads of tears! The next year I managed to get an inner tube from a lorry,Took some blowing up, but it would take some rough treatment.

polly.cam

« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2017, 10:44:48 AM »
I am new to this so hi. I was born in 48 the year that N.H.S started. Lived on palace Rd small heath. No bathroom toilet outside tin bath in front of fire once a week .My mum always uses to say wash up as far as possible down as far as possible then wash possible. Sunday school every week penny for the plate and goodness help you if dodged sunday school and spent the penny.
I remember when it was coronation day. The whole street was lined with tables loaded with goodies to eat and loads of bunting.

Edmund Fifield

« Reply #30 on: August 29, 2017, 12:37:52 PM »
Polly don't forget the rain that day
Make every day a day to remember
Because this ain't no rehearsal
And you ain't coming back

polly.cam

« Reply #31 on: August 30, 2017, 07:38:23 AM »
Hi to you all. Am new to this and just getting to know how to use it. Brummie born in 48. Left in 64. My dad worked in Digbeth ' Alfred Birds Custard'  . It relocated in Banbury Oxford.  I am one of four kids and we begged our dad not to go. Lived in Yardley.Shopped at the Ewetree. There was a library there The Swan. Went to cockshut Hill School. Used to take my youngest brother to nursery on Garretts Green Lane. He cried every morning. It was free then just paid 5 bob a week for dinner. He was 3. Love brum and its people no one like them

polly.cam

« Reply #32 on: August 30, 2017, 07:41:15 AM »
Edmund Field bit late in replying . Just learning. I had forgotten the rain. It was still a good day.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy